Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
And honestly, with the problems this team has scoring, and with the cap being at 70m next season(a 6m increase over this season) I'm beginning to have no problem with a 7m contract for Vanek.

People say "Oh no we have to save money for the young guys" but really? Who?

I'm being pessimistic as hell, but Granlund's future as a player is beginning to look suspect. Coyle looks like his offensive game is underwhelming to say the least. Nino looks awesome. Zucker doesn't look like the offensive juggernaut he needs to be to makeup for his defensive lapses. Brodin is a stud.

So as much as I love all these players, Coyle especially, I can't see hardly any of them becoming 4m+ players. Nino maybe. Brodin almost assuredly. But beyond that? I really don't know.

Bring on Vanek. Please.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brodin will probably be $5m. Nino... $3-$4m. Coyle could approach that if he has a big year next year. But yeah, agree with most everything else.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Looking at it, I almost think we could give Vanek $7m per and Girardi $5m per and it wouldn't get us into too much trouble.

~$21.5m in space next summer; Vanek/Girardi/Nino take up ~ $15m of that. $6.5m to fill out the team.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Vanek - Granlund - Pominville
Cooke - Brodziak - Nino
Fontaine - 4th Line C - Mitchell

Suter - Girardi
Ballard - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
Re-sign Stoner/Free agent/AHL guy

Harding
Backstrom

Fits under the cap.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Looking at it, I almost think we could give Vanek $7m per and Girardi $5m per and it wouldn't get us into too much trouble.

~$21.5m in space next summer; Vanek/Girardi/Nino take up ~ $15m of that. $6.5m to fill out the team.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Nino

Suter - Girardi
Ballard - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

Harding
Backstrom

Fits under the cap.

Alright guys, lets start Vanek/Girardi watch 2014.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Nino

Suter - Girardi
Ballard - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

Harding
Backstrom

Fits under the cap.

Perhaps bump brodz down to 4c and play Haula as 3c?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Could even do a bottom six like...

Nino - Haula - Fontaine
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell

Brodziak line would likely get more ice time, but the Haula line would be a pretty dangerous "4th line".

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If the cap goes to 70+ mill theoretically you could sign Vanek, Girardi, D.Boyle, & Miller

OUT:
Heatley
Konopka
Rupp
Backstrom
Spurgeron
Brodziak

IN:
Nino $2.5 x2
Zucker $1.5 x 1-2
Vanek $6.5 x 5
Girardi $6.0 x 5-7
Miller $6.0 x 5-7
Boyle $5.0 x 1-3

Parise Koivu Vanek
Nino Granlund Pominville
Zucker Haula Coyle
Cooke XXXX Mitchell

Suter Boyle
Brodin Girardi
Scandella Ballard/Dumba
XXXX

Miller
Harding

Cap = $70,300,000

Cap Space = $2,953,910

It would take a miracle but like i said it is possible with that salary cap (which has been speculated to hit next year.)

quick edit clarification: Don't think Girardi or D.Boyle make it to FA, and if they did, dont think this would ever happen.

Last edited:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Backstrom is ineligible for a compliance buyout because his deal was signed under the new CBA.

Forgot about that, thanks for correcting me.

point still stands, with some careful moving of certain contracts it could be done.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Forgot about that, thanks for correcting me.

point still stands, with some careful moving of certain contracts it could be done.

Spurgeon, with the way he's playing now, is worth more than 2.66 mill easily. Why would you move him? He is young, very good on both sides of the puck and he is an important piece of our blue line, even if we sign a big-name FA.

I'd like to see:

Suter - Yandle/Girardi
Brodin - Spurgeon
Scandella - Ballard
Stoner

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
If Yeo stopped changing line every second then lines could be somewhat consisten..

I mean, i know guys get hurt but is it necasery to change all 4 lines when i guy gets hurt..

F.ex: Coyle gets hurt, and suddenly the whole team has new linemates. Instead of just keeping every line the same and just changing Coyle with Zucker..

I know that this may make us soft on the 1st for a couple of games, but at the same time Zucker gets big mimutes and people play with guys they know..

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If Yeo stopped changing line every second then lines could be somewhat consisten..

I mean, i know guys get hurt but is it necasery to change all 4 lines when i guy gets hurt..

F.ex: Coyle gets hurt, and suddenly the whole team has new linemates. Instead of just keeping every line the same and just changing Coyle with Zucker..

I know that this may make us soft on the 1st for a couple of games, but at the same time Zucker gets big mimutes and people play with guys they know..

Same thing with Granlund now. Probably should've just plugged Haula in between Nino and Pominville and kept Coyle up with Parise/Koivu. Coyle isn't good enough, right now, to the best player on a top 6 line. Maybe (hopefully) in a couple years, but not now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Guys can't have it both ways though. Not directed at your or anyone else...but you can't complain that he never changes the lines and then the next week complain he changes them too much.

Perhaps bump brodz down to 4c and play Haula as 3c?

Which is exactly what they SHOULD do.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Brodziak - Nino

Suter - Girardi
Ballard - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

Harding
Backstrom

Fits under the cap.

Or, if we are not sure about Granlund's health, lets sign both Vanek and Roy in the offseason and reunite that line again. :D

And yes, I'm still on board with trading Zucker before the deadline. Heater's caphit at that point as well will be around 2-3M.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So here's a question, are you/we comfortable giving Brodin a 7-8 year extension after only 1 1/2 years in the NHL?

My thinking is, if they can do it after this year (let's just say that he finishes with 25-30 points), perhaps we could get a lower per year average (maybe ~ $5m) vs. waiting and taking the chance that he puts up 40+ points next year, which would probably add $1m-$1.5m to the average. He wouldn't have "earned" that contract quite yet, so it would be a bit of a risk on our part. But, as continues to improve and the cap increases, the last 3-4 years could exceptionally under market value.

Also, it would clarify one of the bigger cap variables going forward, and allow us to better know what we can really spend in free agency this summer.

Or do we try to get something done in the 4-5 year range? My ideal scenario would be to extend after this season, something ~ $30m/6 years.

Thoughts?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
I really don't think we can sign more than 1-2 free agents this season. Somewhat because of cap space, but mostly because of roster space. We'll have about 17 million to play with if the cap rises to 70m as rumored, but how much of that do we actually want to spend? We don't want to spend just to get to the cap, there has to be players worth it and spaces available. Looking at what we have guaranteed for next season:

Parise - Koivu - _____
_____ - _____ - Pominville
Cooke - _____ - _____
_____ - Brodziak - Mitchell
x Coyle, Granlund, Haula in whatever spots available.

Nino needs a raise. Unless he explodes, his current 40-50p projected season probably puts him at maximum around 3.5m a season for hopefully for like 4-5 seasons. Fontaine? Who knows. I could see him brought back for like 1-2m but I'm not sure if he thinks he deserves more :dunno: . Stoner probably 1.5m.

Zucker and Kuemper are wild cards. Kuemper will probably do a maximum 2-way deal. Zucker is a total mystery to me. I have no idea what is going to happen. He clearly believes he is ready for the NHL and will want a one way, but who knows. Maybe a 2-way for a year and then 1-way afterwards is an option.

So(pessimistically) Vanek(7.5) + Nino(3.5) + Stoner (1.5) = 12.5, leaving us with about 5.5 to sign Zucker, Fontaine, and Kuemper. And we don't know if the cap will go up at all the season after so we might have to actually keep that 5.5 in space. :dunno:

Anyway, my ideal lineup for next season would be:

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Cooke - Haula - Nino
____ - Brodziak - Mitchell

Suter - Brodin
Orpik - Ballard
Scandella - Spurgeon

Somehow steal Sobotka away from St Louis to plug into that 4th line spot, sign Orpik for 3m/yr for two years, and our team would be solid from top to bottom, IMO.

So here's a question, are you/we comfortable giving Brodin a 7-8 year extension after only 1 1/2 years in the NHL?

My thinking is, if they can do it after this year (let's just say that he finishes with 25-30 points), perhaps we could get a lower per year average (maybe ~ $5m) vs. waiting and taking the chance that he puts up 40+ points next year, which would probably add $1m-$1.5m to the average. He wouldn't have "earned" that contract quite yet, so it would be a bit of a risk on our part. But, as continues to improve and the cap increases, the last 3-4 years could exceptionally under market value.

Also, it would clarify one of the bigger cap variables going forward, and allow us to better know what we can really spend in free agency this summer.

Or do we try to get something done in the 4-5 year range?

Thoughts?

Signing Brodin to an 8 year deal that would take him until he is, what, 29? That would take him straight to free agency at, presumably, the prime of his career. There are some positives for sure, but holy **** that could go really bad.

Personally, I want to take him to a bridge deal until his last RFA year is what I would do. If he wins a Norris and costs us 8-9m a year at that point, than screw it we've got a Norris winner and he deserves it. Sign him for another 7-8 years from there, taking him until he is 34-35 or whatever.

It seems a lot less risky, IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm coming up with ~ $21-$22m in cap space, taking Dumba and Haula off of capgeek, and adding $6m to the $14 that they are already showing.

I don't think Fontaine has done anything to earn over a million bucks. $1m max. Nino's deal, your probably spot on, but I'm thinking it'll be closer to 3 years.

Not a big Orpik fan; if we're comfortable giving him $3m, perhaps we should set our sights a bit higher.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Vanek ($7) - Granlund - Pominville
Neiderreiter - Haula - Fontaine ($1)
Cooke - Brodziak - Mitchell

Suter - Girardi ($5)
Ballard - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon

Harding
Backstrom

Unless I've severely mis-calculated, that's ~$67m.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
unless vanek is willing to sign a pommer type deal 5.5 mill i'll pass as much as i want him on the team. backstrom is playing so bad this year i doubt we could trade him. i would shop zucker for a Dman who's big, can skate & hit / clear the crease. i would still try & trade for bjugstad.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
If we get Vanek, I would like us to deal Brodziak. On a team that needs to get to the next level, he's been so-so for the past year and a half. Too many plays are fumbled in his vicinity. Too bad Coyle isn't ready in the faceoffs or defensively to take over his spot. Hopefully he is next year.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If we get Vanek, I would like us to deal Brodziak. On a team that needs to get to the next level, he's been so-so for the past year and a half. Too many plays are fumbled in his vicinity. Too bad Coyle isn't ready in the faceoffs or defensively to take over his spot. Hopefully he is next year.

agreed. He showed he can play with Havlat & Latendresse and be decent but inconsistent far too often. Hands made of bricks, no offensive IQ, and gets paid too much. Imo, the cap space saved for this potential nice FA market and a big salary cap raise is more valuable than Brodziak.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
If Haula keeps this up, Brodz probably needs to go.

Parise - Koivu - Coyle
Nino - Granlund - Pominville
Cooke - Haula - Zucker/Fontaine
Bulmer - Konopka - Mitchell

Suter - Yandle (7-8m)
Brodin - Spurgeon
Scandella - Ballard
Stoner

Hards
Bäcks

Last thing we need right now is another top-6 winger. We already have Parise, Pominville, Coyle, Nino and Zucker.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Parise - Koivu - Coyle

Suter - Yandle (7-8m)
Brodin - Spurgeon
Scandella - Ballard
Stoner

Hards
Bäcks

Last thing we need right now is another top-6 winger. We already have Parise, Pominville, Coyle, Nino and Zucker.

How are we getting Yandle?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Parise - Koivu - Coyle

Suter - Yandle (7-8m)
Brodin - Spurgeon
Scandella - Ballard
Stoner

Hards
Bäcks

Our 'goals for' disagrees, and Zucker has proven very little. And Yandle is signed through 2016.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I want Brodin to get a "bridge" contract. He was brilliant last year and before his injury, afterwards he's been decent but not spectacular. Maybe a two-year, $10m deal or something, and then if he plays like he should, get one of those 5-7 year deals at $7m per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad