Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
My only issue with that is Suter seems to drop off paired up with anyone else. In theory, Suter-Spurgeon should be good, but it never is. And nobody else outside Spurgeon and Brodin can move the puck without being a complete liability in the defensive zone (Ballard).

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
With the way the defense is shaping up, I don't see how Girardi gives the team another dimension. He's rock solid in the defensive end, but that's never been a glaring issue with this team and it certainly isn't right now. Investing significant money on the back end without getting a guy who is a factor on the score sheet just seems counter productive to me.

From my perspective, the first pairing is set for eternity for all intensive purposes. Scandella and Spurgeon are playing some of the best hockey that they have shown and are a very fine second pairing; at 23 and 24 respectively. I think they can win at a pretty high level with what they have in the top 4.

I don't think they can win at a high enough level from what they're getting in terms of scoring. The kids just aren't ready to take a starring role in that department. I believe it's pretty crucial to address that this offseason if Vanek is kicking around the front door. It stands to reason that within the next two to three years that you're going to need to take advantage of Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Suter, goaltending, etc and try to make a run at things. I think that's best accomplished by adding fire power over adding more depth on the back end.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With the way the defense is shaping up, I don't see how Girardi gives the team another dimension. He's rock solid in the defensive end, but that's never been a glaring issue with this team and it certainly isn't right now. Investing significant money on the back end without getting a guy who is a factor on the score sheet just seems counter productive to me.

From my perspective, the first pairing is set for eternity for all intensive purposes. Scandella and Spurgeon are playing some of the best hockey that they have shown and are a very fine second pairing; at 23 and 24 respectively. I think they can win at a pretty high level with what they have in the top 4.

I don't think they can win at a high enough level from what they're getting in terms of scoring. The kids just aren't ready to take a starring role in that department. I believe it's pretty crucial to address that this offseason if Vanek is kicking around the front door. It stands to reason that within the next two to three years that you're going to need to take advantage of Koivu, Parise, Pominville, Suter, goaltending, etc and try to make a run at things. I think that's best accomplished by adding fire power over adding more depth on the back end.

I don't think he adds another dimension, but they idea would be to allow Brodin to elevate his own pairing, while not losing any reliability in the top 2. It also depends very highly on the contract terms... Vanek at $49m/7 yrs or Girardi at $25m-$35m/5-7 yrs? I still think I'd rather lock into the defenseman.

I do agree about how Spurgeon/Scandella are playing right now, but imagine how good of shape we'd be in if they were our 3rd pairing.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see either Vanek or Girardi being the guys that put us into contention, to be honest.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
If Granny is out an extended period, I would love to see us trade for a guy like Steve Ott from Buffalo. He'd be excellent centering Nino and Pommenville and bring some grit, toughness and attitude that we need.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
So an Orpik type is what we are aiming at this summer?

No way Phanuef makes it to FA right?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So an Orpik type is what we are aiming at this summer?

No way Phanuef makes it to FA right?

If people are balking at taking Girardi due to lack of offensive production, then Orpik isn't really going to make anyone swoon. Girardi is 4 years younger and has been putting up a point total around the high 20's for a few years. Orpik's highest point total was 25 points 4 years ago. The only real advantage that Orpik will give you over Girardi is that he will probably cost less.

I'd be all for the Dr's idea of putting Suter and Girardi on the top pairing and letting Brodin run the 2nd line with a Ballard or Scandella.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
If people are balking at taking Girardi due to lack of offensive production, then Orpik isn't really going to make anyone swoon. Girardi is 4 years younger and has been putting up a point total around the high 20's for a few years. Orpik's highest point total was 25 points 4 years ago. The only real advantage that Orpik will give you over Girardi is that he will probably cost less.

I'd be all for the Dr's idea of putting Suter and Girardi on the top pairing and letting Brodin run the 2nd line with a Ballard or Scandella.

I want nothing to do with Orpik. He's older, he's slowing down and from what I've been hearing/seeing/reading, he's not hitting anywhere near as much as he used to.

I'd be happy with Girardi, though, for the right price. He's a guy who anchors a 2nd pairing, or bumps up a top pairing. He would give us a decent amount of flexibility in the top-4 D. No, he's not an offensive dynamo, but he's not worthless, either.

Eple

It ain't easy being
Mar 7, 2010
Turku
If Granny is out an extended period, I would love to see us trade for a guy like Steve Ott from Buffalo. He'd be excellent centering Nino and Pommenville and bring some grit, toughness and attitude that we need.

Yes, we need another universally hated player in our team!

jk

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
No to Orpik or Niskanen.

Girardi maybe.

No to Phaneuf, even though he is pretty much the type of player that could really help out our blue line.

Phoenix doesn't need all their great d right:sarcasm:

I wonder who else Fletch can fleece this summer.

Nice package of Brodziak, Prosser, and maybe Zucker? Yeah, that could be REAL nice. I'm sure Fletch could make someone bite on that.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I might grow to like Phaneuf, like I did Cooke, but he's not my first choice.

Although having Mrs. Phaneuf in the stands at the X would nice :naughty:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Girardi marginal benefit is not worth his marginal cost. And there is little reason to think he would come here.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
No to Orpik or Niskanen.

Girardi maybe.

No to Phaneuf, even though he is pretty much the type of player that could really help out our blue line.

Phoenix doesn't need all their great d right:sarcasm:

I wonder who else Fletch can fleece this summer.

Nice package of Brodziak, Prosser, and maybe Zucker? Yeah, that could be REAL nice. I'm sure Fletch could make someone bite on that.

Dude....Keith Yandle. In a heartbeat.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Idk, Phaneuf might just end up killing one of our goaltenders in practice

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just saw that you lost Daley. Didn't look good. I looked at your line up, and don't see much in the way of forwards that ;

A- we'd want

Or

B- you'd want to part with for Stoner.

If Daley's injury is as bad as it looked, you might be better off with Ballard, who is an upgrade over Stoner, though it could be argued he is just a completely different type of player.

StoneColdGMJN

Jul 16, 2013
Marquette
Just saw that you lost Daley. Didn't look good. I looked at your line up, and don't see much in the way of forwards that ;

A- we'd want

Or

B- you'd want to part with for Stoner.

If Daley's injury is as bad as it looked, you might be better off with Ballard, who is an upgrade over Stoner, though it could be argued he is just a completely different type of player.
Yeah, we would really need more of a defensive oriented defenseman than Ballard, and Stoner seemed like a fairly reasonable player to pursue given his upcoming UFA status.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yes, please.

Seriously, that gets me giddy just thinking about it :biglaugh:

Suter-Yandle
Brodin-Scandella
Ballard-Spurgeon
Dumba

stoked.gif

Sneaky Priest

See you Nov. 2
Sep 20, 2011
Lino Lakes
Because we don't talk about Vanek enough.....

Been thinking a lot about Vanek possibly joining the Wild next year. How much will the asking price be for Vanek's services if you guys had to guess?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's going to want as many years as possible, and somebody out there will definitely be willing to give it him (see the Clarkson and Horton contracts).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad