Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Trouble with trading Coyle and Dumba is that both of their contracts are starting to look like good value, compared what Nylander is looking to get.

Well thought out trade, though, even down to the Cap numbers.
I don't disagree. But that's also what makes them valuable trading chips.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I make those deals no question. We need to get faster and more skilled and it was painfully obvious against an upcoming Carolina squad regardless of the Ref vendetta from last years playoffs.

This team will not go far if it squeezes in barring a hot miracle dubnyk carry, need to strike now when the potential of Panarin and Nylander are out there for targets, we will regret not taking the chance even if Panarin does walk I guarantee it.
The risk with Panarin cuts both ways. It lowers his trade cost as well.

Upside of trading Nino for Panarin is (1) Columbus is looking for that kind of deal, (2) Panarin fits a perfect need for the Wild, (3) if the Wild aren't making the playoffs, he could be flipped at the deadline, and (4) regardless he either re-signs which would gravy or he leaves and the Wild free up a lot of cap space.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just don't see the point in getting Panarin. He's a rental that's going to fetch a premium; which MN has a low chance of re-signing. The team isn't a Breadman away from making a serious push deep into the Playoffs.

I could see an argument for getting Duchene as a rental, no clue if he'd re-sign either, even though I think he's a bad fit with the team. Center is a team need after all.

Anders Lee could be a decent target, maybe the Edina boy wants to come home? I'd prefer to get him as a UFA and not spend any assets to get him if that's the case.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If we’re not a Panarin away from a playoff push, then what are we?

We're a fringe Playoff team now, maybe. With Panarin we're a better fringe Playoff team; the Avs, Preds, and Jets would still be better teams.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I just don't see the point in getting Panarin. He's a rental that's going to fetch a premium; which MN has a low chance of re-signing. The team isn't a Breadman away from making a serious push deep into the Playoffs.

I could see an argument for getting Duchene as a rental, no clue if he'd re-sign either, even though I think he's a bad fit with the team. Center is a team need after all.

Anders Lee could be a decent target, maybe the Edina boy wants to come home? I'd prefer to get him as a UFA and not spend any assets to get him if that's the case.
First off, NYI just made Anders Captain. They aren't moving him barring a massive overpay. Secondly, and i like him a lot, but speed is not one of his assets.

Thirdly, I do think Panarin is just the sort of player to make a difference and push the Wild into relevance. He is an elite offensive player, who would automatically give the Wild one top line that could punch with anyone- i.e. Zucker-Staal-Panarin. The Wild's main problem is not being able to score goals from the forward position when against top teams.

Oh, and if we're going to trade Dumba, we should target Draisaitl. Dumba is exactly the type of player EDM needs. We'd obviously have to throw someone else(or two, maybe Coyle + McBain?) into the deal to make it happen, but if EDM keeps struggling you'd think they might be convinced to do the deal.

LD has WAY more value than Nylander or Panarin, especially to a team who's best C's are old.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The risk with Panarin cuts both ways. It lowers his trade cost as well.

Upside of trading Nino for Panarin is (1) Columbus is looking for that kind of deal, (2) Panarin fits a perfect need for the Wild, (3) if the Wild aren't making the playoffs, he could be flipped at the deadline, and (4) regardless he either re-signs which would gravy or he leaves and the Wild free up a lot of cap space.
You don't free up any cap space by throwing away a player like Niederreiter.

Reactions: Goose312 and Wabit

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don’t the Avs have to become a better team before they can still be a better team?

Well they mopped the floor with the Wild last year... They are a better than than the Wild currently, and would still be a better team if a Nino/Panarin trade happened.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Avs are good because they have MacKinnon and Rantanen who score a lot and drive offense in a dynamic way. Wouldn’t a team with a guy who can do that, a deeper supporting cast on offense, and a significantly better defense be the better team?

Colorado has done much less than we have in the last 5 years. The fact that you can even suggest they’re a better team at this point with a straight face is astounding.

Reactions: 2Pair

Wabit

May 23, 2016
First off, NYI just made Anders Captain. They aren't moving him barring a massive overpay. Secondly, and i like him a lot, but speed is not one of his assets.

Thirdly, I do think Panarin is just the sort of player to make a difference and push the Wild into relevance. He is an elite offensive player, who would automatically give the Wild one top line that could punch with anyone- i.e. Zucker-Staal-Panarin. The Wild's main problem is not being able to score goals from the forward position when against top teams.

Oh, and if we're going to trade Dumba, we should target Draisaitl. Dumba is exactly the type of player EDM needs. We'd obviously have to throw someone else(or two, maybe Coyle + McBain?) into the deal to make it happen, but if EDM keeps struggling you'd think they might be convinced to do the deal.

LD has WAY more value than Nylander or Panarin, especially to a team who's best C's are old.

Meh, if they can't re-sign Lee, I don't think it'll take a massive overpay. Lose Tavares for nothing and then double down and lose Lee for nothing the next off-season? Being Captain doesn't make him untouchable, there have been two of them already traded this year. NYI want's him to stay, but if they are outside the Playoffs at the TDL (likely imo), and he's not re-signed, then he'll be moved.

The top line would be good, the 2nd line would be okay, but it's the 2 4th lines would still kill the team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Avs are good because they have MacKinnon and Rantanen who score a lot and drive offense in a dynamic way. Wouldn’t a team with a guy who can do that, a deeper supporting cast on offense, and a significantly better defense be the better team?

Colorado has done much less than we have in the last 5 years. The fact that you can even suggest they’re a better team at this point with a straight face is astounding.

Each of Col's top-3 lines are better than the Wild's top-3 lines. Add Panarin and take away Nino and they are still better. MN''s top-4 is better than Col, but it's not a huge gap (EJ's health is the big question for Col). Varmy and Dub are a wash for goalies.

I don't care about what's happened in the last 5 years, this year is all that really matters. Similar thing was said about the Jets on the boards here early last season.

Reactions: BagHead

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’d do Nino for Panarin just for the ride. I think it would be fun. That’s a game changer. That would bring EXCITEMENT to the team that we haven’t had in a long time.

As for Draisaitl. I love him but if the goal is to make the team faster and better then trading Dumba+ for him might be a horrible idea. He’s big and slow. Not to mention Edmonton has about 3 competent forwards on their entire team. Hard to think they trade their second best forward.

Nylander... ugh.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Each of Col's top-3 lines are better than the Wild's top-3 lines. Add Panarin and take away Nino and they are still better. MN''s top-4 is better than Col, but it's not a huge gap (EJ's health is the big question for Col). Varmy and Dub are a wash for goalies.

I don't care about what's happened in the last 5 years, this year is all that really matters. Similar thing was said about the Jets on the boards here early last season.

And yet you cited them mopping the floor with us last year as evidence.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’d do Nino for Panarin just for the ride. I think it would be fun. That’s a game changer. That would bring EXCITEMENT to the team that we haven’t had in a long time.

As for Draisaitl. I love him but if the goal is to make the team faster and better then trading Dumba+ for him might be a horrible idea. He’s big and slow. Not to mention Edmonton has about 3 competent forwards on their entire team. Hard to think they trade their second best forward.

Nylander... ugh.
LD plays slow at times, but he's not. He's actually very fast. Some similarities to a young Staal. Big guys often look slow, even when they are fast, i.e. Nash, Beliveau, and the classic case, the Big M.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
LD plays slow at times, but he's not. He's actually very fast. Some similarities to a young Staal. Big guys often look slow, even when they are fast, i.e. Nash, Beliveau, and the classic case, the Big M.

A young top pairing dman who can score 50 pts. AND would automatically be their #1PP guy would be very tempting, let alone if we sent back one of Nino/Coyle and McBain/Kunin/Greenway.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

They have MacKinnon and Rantanen who are better than any forwards we have. That’s it. Landeskog is alright, but we easily have the deeper offense. Their top three lines? Get out of here. I hope you’re not basing that off the 5 game sample size that is this season so far. Unless you really think Soderberg, Kerfoot and Compher are points per game players?

And 31/31 GMs with jobs in this league right now would take our top 4 over Colorado’s without thinking twice about it. Johnson is a solid, steady defenseman, but he’s not even definitively better than Spurgeon at this point. And after Barrie they have nobody else worth even bringing up.

Look, MacKinnon is miles better than any forward we have, and Rantanen is clearly on a different level as well, but let’s not get confused, the rest of their team is not better than anything we have.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A young top pairing dman who can score 50 pts. AND would automatically be their #1PP guy would be very tempting, let alone if we sent back one of Nino/Coyle and McBain/Kunin/Greenway.

That package is insane. No way should we touch that, even for Draisaitl.

Reactions: SomethingGeneric

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
That package is insane. No way should we touch that, even for Draisaitl.
A #1C is the toughest player to acquire, let alone a young, elite, #1C. His light is dimmed because he plays with a superstar #1C, but the guy is 22 yo and already has two 70+ pt. seasons. A guy like that costs.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
A #1C is the toughest player to acquire, let alone a young, elite, #1C. His light is dimmed because he plays with a superstar #1C, but the guy is 22 yo and already has two 70+ pt. seasons. A guy like that costs.

His light is dimmed? They’re the only two players worth a damn on that team and you’re telling me Draisaitl is being held back cause he’s not getting that extra 2 minutes of time on ice that McDavid is?

Barzal just scored 83 points behind Tavares. Sorry, that’s not a good excuse, at all. Draisaitl is not an elite 1C no matter how you put the makeup on it.

Goose312

May 15, 2015

Based on the trade board depth charts for COL:
MacKinnon/Landeskog/Rantanen > Staal/Zucker/Granlund

Kerfoot/Jost/Wilson < Parise/Koivu/Greenway

Nieto/Soderberg/Bourgue < Nino/JEE/Coyle

4th lines are hard to compare since 1 player between both teams was on their respective team last year.

The top 4 comfortably goes to the Wild, and I wouldn't say it's not a huge gap. I don't know how COL's 3rd pair does either, but based on Seeler and Pateryn's play so far I think we also have a high end 3rd pair as well.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
His light is dimmed? They’re the only two players worth a damn on that team and you’re telling me Draisaitl is being held back cause he’s not getting that extra 2 minutes of time on ice that McDavid is?

Barzal just scored 83 points behind Tavares. Sorry, that’s not a good excuse, at all. Draisaitl is not an elite 1C no matter how you put the makeup on it.

Draisaitl's light is dimmed because he scores like an elite player with McDavid and not nearly like one without him.

Avs just added Marko Dano - nice addition for their 3rd-4th lines. And it cost them nothing. Maybe Joe Sakic is good at GMing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad