Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I'll just copy over the message that was in the OP of the previous thread

If you have a problem with something someone wrote, here are three options:

1. If you disagree with their opinion, write an opposing response to it and stay civil

2. If you believe they violated site rules, click on the "Yield" symbol under their avatar to report it to moderators

3. Ignore it and move on

Keep your cool and keep the sarcasm to a respectful minimum.

Previous Thread

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Yeo and a bag of peanuts to any Canadian team for two bags of ketchup flavored potato chips.

Seriously tho, I don't think a trade is going to provide the spark this team needs to dig deep and get past things.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I think any trade that this team can make right now isn't going to help.

Best Case scenario: they magically figure it out, and we make it to the playoffs.

Worse Case(most likely) scenario: Continue to do bad, yet figure out a way to win a few games and earn a mid round pick.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Playing Stu Bickel in an NHL game, let alone 9 of them, is enough reason for me to want Yeo canned.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Russo specifically mentioned Ward and Niemi as goalies that are out there.

What is it going take to get Ward here?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd rather not try to salvage this season for an 8th seed and a first round exit in 4 (maybe 5) games.

Take the top 10 pick.

To clarify, usually I wouldn't be on board with "tanking", but this might be the deepest draft since 03? Yeah I'll make one exception.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Ward has been on the down side of his career for 5 years and carries a $6m cap hit. Why do we want that? He's 30 years old. He would be a band-aid at best. You don't give up assets to hamstring yourself like that. Backstrom wouldn't waive his NMC for the worst team in the league either.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ward has been on the down side of his career for 5 years and carries a $6m cap hit. Why do we want that? He's 30 years old. He would be a band-aid at best. You don't give up assets to hamstring yourself like that. Backstrom wouldn't waive his NMC for the worst team in the league either.

He doesn't have to, he's already here ;)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Russo:

According to sources, Fletcher is actively looking for a goaltender and that’s where the Wild believes most of its problems lay right now.

Apparently he mentioned Niemi and Ward on the radio. I just don't see the value in Ward. He's a good backup, I guess.

Last three years of 5v5 save %, 3000+ minutes

Enroth (UFA), 26, $1.25m: 0.926
Niemi (UFA), 31, $4m: 0.922
Ward (1-yr), 30, $6.3m: 0.915
Backstrom (1-yr), 36, $3.4m: 0.912

Backstrom was actually the worst goalie on the list, with Ward a few spots higher.

I didn't like the idea yesterday, but if the Wild can get Enroth for not a ton of assets, he's younger than the rest, consistently decent too, maybe they can sign him longer term and have him be the 1A.

If we're just talking rental, Niemi would be a fine option.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
The only reason I'm not looking forward to a trade is I can already see us getting bent over on the price with the other team knowing we're desperate.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul
The only reason I'm not looking forward to a trade is I can already see us getting bent over on the price with the other team knowing we're desperate.

Russo said on KFAN they can probably get Ward for basically nothing. Carolina isn't going anywhere and the owners are desperately trying to find minority owners and would like to shed money from their payroll.
There is no easy fix to the goaltending problem. They'll be taking a shot in the dark no matter what they decide to do.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Russo said on KFAN they can probably get Ward for basically nothing. Carolina isn't going anywhere and the owners are desperately trying to find minority owners and would like to shed money from their payroll.
There is no easy fix to the goaltending problem. They'll be taking a shot in the dark no matter what they decide to do.

I assume Carolina doesn't want a huge return for Ward, but would they agree to retain any of his cap hit? If not, how does our cap situation look like?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I assume Carolina doesn't want a huge return for Ward, but would they agree to retain any of his cap hit? If not, how does our cap situation look like?

According to NHLNumbers.com, we have $6.778 mil in cap space which includes a $3.804 mil cap cushion.

Bullrun

Jan 22, 2007
Russo:

Apparently he mentioned Niemi and Ward on the radio. I just don't see the value in Ward. He's a good backup, I guess.

Last three years of 5v5 save %, 3000+ minutes

Enroth (UFA), 26, $1.25m: 0.926
Niemi (UFA), 31, $4m: 0.922
Ward (1-yr), 30, $6.3m: 0.915
Backstrom (1-yr), 36, $3.4m: 0.912

Backstrom was actually the worst goalie on the list, with Ward a few spots higher.

I didn't like the idea yesterday, but if the Wild can get Enroth for not a ton of assets, he's younger than the rest, consistently decent too, maybe they can sign him longer term and have him be the 1A.

If we're just talking rental, Niemi would be a fine option.

Seems like Ward is having a better yr than Enroth this season though. Also, Ward has been a workhorse goalie in the past, Enroth has never seen more than 28 games in a yr. This year has been his busiest, and also one of his worst for SV%.

Its not like CAR or BUF are good teams either. Niemi is probably who I feel most comfortable with, but I doubt he's going anywhere this season.

Wild is in a pickle. Its tricky looking at SV% because we know that is the problem with Kuemper/Backstrom but then you see guys like Miller (who arent really 'elite' in SV%) gelling with the right team.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Sucks with CapGeek down...

Wild have $59.7m committed to 9 forwards, 4 defense, and 2 goalies. They need to re-sign Granlund, Haula, and Folin. Let's assume they get a combined $5m. If the cap goes up to say $75m, that leaves about $10m to sign 3 forwards and 2 defensemen.

If they buy out Backstrom, that would give about $2.3m in relief, so that would bump them up to $12.3m in cap space. If they get Ward at full price, you're looking at roughly $6m to fill out the roster:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Zucker - Granlund - Vanek
Nino - Coyle - Fontaine
Cooke - _____ - _____

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
_____ - Folin

Ward / Kuemper

$6m to get three fourth liners, a 3rd pairing D, and a 7th D. Pretty tight.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ward is way to expensive and not very good. We want to trade for a solution, not a problem.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sucks with CapGeek down...

Wild have $59.7m committed to 9 forwards, 4 defense, and 2 goalies. They need to re-sign Granlund, Haula, and Folin. Let's assume they get a combined $5m. If the cap goes up to say $75m, that leaves about $10m to sign 3 forwards and 2 defensemen.

If they buy out Backstrom, that would give about $2.3m in relief, so that would bump them up to $12.3m in cap space. If they get Ward at full price, you're looking at roughly $6m to fill out the roster:

Zucker - Granlund - Vanek
Nino - Coyle - Fontaine
Cooke - _____ - _____

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeon
_____ - Folin

Ward / Kuemper

$6m to get three fourth liners, a 3rd pairing D, and a 7th D. Pretty tight.

You're missing Haula in your lineup, so two 4th liners, not 3.

Vanek - Granlund - Nino
Zucker - Graovac? - Coyle
Cooke - Haula - Fontaine
Sutter?

So taking off ~$750k for the 7th defenseman, that would be ~$3m for the 3rd pairing guy.

I still wouldn't do anything for Ward though, unless it's for a 5th rounder or later. Anybody know how much longer his contract lasts? Carolina would have to retain a portion, even a $1m would go a long way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad