Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VI - 2014 Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
I saw someone mention Michael Keranen on the last thread. Any possibility he comes to the NHL anytime soon? We aren't very deep at RW and he could be a good depth scorer for us.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Pominville, Coyle, Fontaine, McCormick... we were fine at RW... Coyle will only get better.

Sure we have good options at RW, but it's not as deep as some of our other positions and what is the harm in bringing in a guy like Keranen? He wouldn't be expensive and he could be a pretty good player. He will give our team more speed as well. Check out his highlights and stats. I was fairly impressed.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
I saw someone mention Michael Keranen on the last thread. Any possibility he comes to the NHL anytime soon? We aren't very deep at RW and he could be a good depth scorer for us.

Not until next year. He will play for IFK Helsinki (or HIFK) next season. While the guy has skills he needs to bulk up. He will do summer training in the same group with Mikael and Markus Granlund and Karri Rämö and that did wonders to them like we all have witnessed. Also IFK seems to have good relationship with Fletcher and Keränen has the same agent as Granlunds, so some kind of connection is there. So who knows next year? But as this year, I don't think so.

And he probably wants one way contract... and Calgary could be on it too.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
What do you think of trading Koivu and our 2015 1st for Oshie?

I think the Blues become a lot better, and Koivu will thrive under Hitchcock/other Blues.

If we are ever moving Koivu, ever, it better not be to a division rival, and especially not to a defense juggernaut in our own division.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
And Oshie continues to be one of the most grossly overrated players. I don't know what people see in him other than the flashy shootout goals. Guy is a barely 55 points scorer, wouldn't trade any of our top6 guys for him.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I want Ryan Kesler.

How much do we have to give to get?

Over-rated?

Would take too much imo, there are many teams after him. If we have to take somebody(which I wouldn't do) it would be someone like Vrbata or Cammalleri on a short deal.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Let's see... Ryan Kesler. 43 points in 77 games this season, career PPG 0.60. Since our so-called 3rd line center can outproduce him, I guess that would make him the 4th line center for the Wild. :sarcasm:

Seriously speaking: they'll want a young forward.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Let's see... Ryan Kesler. 43 points in 77 games this season, career PPG 0.60. Since our so-called 3rd line center can outproduce him, I guess that would make him the 4th line center for the Wild. :sarcasm:

Seriously speaking: they'll want a young forward.

Isnt he a better scorer than Koivu?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

Better goal scorer yes but his playmaking abilities are easily worse. Koivu is more productive than him and imo fits better between Nino and Coyle who are more of a goal scorers than creative playmakers. It always baffles me how little credit Koivu's playmaking abilities get, he makes passes that not many in this league can. Also i think Koivu is still the best pp player in this team, if the players do better job at getting free Koivu will most likely get the puck to you(like in that pp goal by Spurgeon).

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

Pure goal-scoring yes, in other aspects Koivu's a little better. And this is me being serious. Were you thinking of bringing Kesler to the Wild to play 3rd line center? He's got a NTC and isn't likely to come to play 3rd line center to Minnesota. If his production is anywhere close to last season, there's no way you'd even get an upgrade to Koivu and I don't care if Kesler's faster or scores more goals if his production and overall contribution are inferior.

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Koivu has more value than Oshie (in my biased opinion). Why would we throw in a 1st? Might be an interesting poll idea.

I think Kesler has regressed (along with the Canucks as a whole) to the point where I don't want him anymore. Injuries have hit him pretty hard recently.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like another coveted young dman from Sweden looking like he might go pro, 10+ teams so far reported interested.

Name: Johan Alm
Height: 6'3
Weight: 209lbs
Shoots: Left

"A smart two-way defenseman with good size. Alm is perhaps more thought of as a defensive game, but his well-developed hockey sense should allow him to contribute offensively as well. Is mobile and a capable skater. Does most things pretty well, but should work with his consistency as well as play more physical and determined at times."

- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10714

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Someone posted this on the main board Phaneuf thread:

Only way Phaneuf to Minnesota could work as i see it, BAckstrom needs to be involved and cap retainment needs to be inolved.

Phaneuf @ $6.25
Reimer's rights

for

Backstrom
One of Haula/Nino/Coyle/Zucker (sorry wild fans, one of them is involved like it or not)
1st

I'd do Backstrom, Zucker, 1st for Phaneuf and Reimer's rights. No to Haula, Nino, or Coyle being included.

Tony253

North, never Dallas
Jan 15, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Obviously. Heater is gone with the seasons ending and the conventional thought is use that money for a big-time scorer. With all of the increases due the young guys on rookie deals coming up, there won't be cash available for a Vanek kind of deal unless you want to hamstring the future. GMCF will get creative I'm sure but what I'd like to see is something like...Heatley, Mouslon, Prosser, gone, Brodz, traded, Stoner, resigned. Thought Blum played decent in his stint so he's your #7 D after Folin gets up to speed. I don't have contract specifics but I figure they can't go over $4-5million/year for any UFA. I do think a finisher is the top need but it won't be Vanek at that number. They also need to figure out how to restock the cupboards as most of the high ceiling guys are now with the Wild, while Iowa struggled.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Someone posted this on the main board Phaneuf thread:

I'd do Backstrom, Zucker, 1st for Phaneuf and Reimer's rights. No to Haula, Nino, or Coyle being included.

Agreed. I would too. I really like Zucker and don't want to see him go, but this is the type of deal I would pull the trigger on. We'll keep Haula and Coyle though. They are deal breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad