Niederreiter-Haula-Burns
Zucker-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-McCormmick-Fontaine

Suter-Subban
Brodin-Spurgeon
Scandella-Folin

Miller
Kuemper

Resign Niederreiter Zucker Fontaine and McCormmick. Offer sheet Subban 8x8. Trade Dumba, Brodziak, 1st for Burns. Sign miller 4yr 6 mill. 2015 Stanley Cup Champs

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I don't buy the premise that the Wild need guys "who can score". They need guys who can increase their chances of scoring.

The types of players I'd like to see on the Wild are guys with lots of speed who can score off the rush, or guys who can rag the puck through traffic and around the zone, pulling guys out of position. Mindlessly tossing the puck to the net and trying to bang it home was an awesome tactic 30 years ago when goalies didn't play butterfly and nobody was blocking shots.

We had two guys who could shoot the puck really well and have good career shooting percentages in Heatley and Moulson...and neither of them were all that good.

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Niederreiter-Haula-Burns
Zucker-Koivu-Coyle
Cooke-McCormmick-Fontaine

Suter-Subban
Brodin-Spurgeon
Scandella-Folin

Miller
Kuemper

Resign Niederreiter Zucker Fontaine and McCormmick. Offer sheet Subban 8x8. Trade Dumba, Brodziak, 1st for Burns. Sign miller 4yr 6 mill. 2015 Stanley Cup Champs

I like it, but dont need burns.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I would argue that we do have guys that get scoring chances. We just don't have a coldblooded finisher who capitalizes.

I have hopes for Nino. And i think Haulas scoring can get better..

But our guy is Zucker... I know that he is unproven and that a more veteran presence would be better, but at some point new coldblooded finishers needs to see the spotlight right?

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
In the Colorado series we were scoring the type of goals we need more of, but that was the first time all year we were scoring like that.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
But what does that even mean? Is he going to shoot the puck literally through the goaltender?

That'd be helpful. I guess it means hitting the net when you have the opportunity more often than giving up the scoring chance created by trying one more pass, fanning on the puck or just flat-out missing altogether.

tomthestone*

But what does that even mean? Is he going to shoot the puck literally through the goaltender?

People who have played competitive hockey at most higher levels know what that means. It's a weird concept that affects games in a similar way from Squirt A's on up. Shooting percentages are somewhat of an indicator, but scoring touch is almost something you can feel or sense in a player. So in a way, it's almost as if those guys really do put the puck right through a goaltender.

It's all about getting hard, accurate shots at the cage from the right spots on the ice -- and quickly. Most guys can usually get some strength or accuracy, but high-end scorers (Vanek included) can snipe corners and clean up around the net. Right now Pominville is the only plus-plus shooter on the Wild roster, with Nino showing potential to get there someday. Parise will always be a scorer, but he doesn't exactly go around burning goalies with his shot.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
People who have played competitive hockey at most higher levels know what that means. It's a weird concept that affects games in a similar way from Squirt A's on up. Shooting percentages are somewhat of an indicator, but scoring touch is almost something you can feel or sense in a player. So in a way, it's almost as if those guys really do put the puck right through a goaltender.

It's all about getting hard, accurate shots at the cage from the right spots on the ice -- and quickly. Most guys can usually get some strength or accuracy, but high-end scorers (Vanek included) can snipe corners and clean up around the net. Right now Pominville is the only plus-plus shooter on the Wild roster, with Nino showing potential to get there someday. Parise will always be a scorer, but he doesn't exactly go around burning goalies with his shot.

I would put Spurgeon in that category, he scores most of his goals on clean shots.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

But that's exactly what the Wild did when they went out and got Heatley and Moulson and neither of those guys were factors in the playoffs.

tomthestone*

But that's exactly what the Wild did when they went out and got Heatley and Moulson and neither of those guys were factors in the playoffs.

They scooped Heatley to get out of the Havlat mistake a year earlier and get somebody who would actually play in the meantime. Win.

Moulson was brought in as a total shot in the dark to fill out the lineup after they missed on Vanek. For the sake of getting us to the playoffs safely, it worked. And it didn't cost much of anything. Call that move a loss, but it was worth a shot and kept Heatley in the press box when he was absolutely atrocious at the end of the regular season.

And Vanek now (and for the next two years, at least) is far better than the versions of Heatley and Moulson that suited up for the Wild.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava

I would add that the decline in goals scored is radical enough to give the blame solely on their slow feet.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
And Vanek now (and for the next two years, at least) is far better than the versions of Heatley and Moulson that suited up for the Wild.

Why is Vanek, currently not so efficient in Montreal, an exception? Gotta weigh in the player's overall game.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would add that the decline in goals scored is radical enough to give the blame solely on their slow feet.

Exactly, which is why I say we should look past just getting "finishers". It's more complicated than that.

Does the team need to get faster? Better puck handling? Create more openings? More dynamic? Bigger? More physical?

tomthestone*

Exactly, which is why I say we should look past just getting "finishers". It's more complicated than that.

Does the team need to get faster? Better puck handling? Create more openings? More dynamic? Bigger? More physical?

The Wild need to get two additional skilled blueliners to take over for Stoner and Prosser, without sacrificing too much size. Stoner hopefully sticks around as a No.7 Dman, but it would be even better if he got like $10M/4 from a team like the Oilers.

After that, I'd say adding a lethal shooter and maybe even a fast and/or gritty right winger for the third line could put the Wild over the top. Goaltending aside.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The Wild need to get two additional skilled blueliners to take over for Stoner and Prosser, without sacrificing too much size. Stoner hopefully sticks around as a No.7 Dman, but it would be even better if he got like $10M/4 from a team like the Oilers.

After that, I'd say adding a lethal shooter and maybe even a fast and/or gritty right winger for the third line could put the Wild over the top. Goaltending aside.

You gotta think that Folin is going to factor in there as well. The Wild didn't burn the first year of his rookie contract so he could spend the second year playing in Iowa. They think he has what it takes to play in the NHL.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
You gotta think that Folin is going to factor in there as well. The Wild didn't burn the first year of his rookie contract so he could spend the second year playing in Iowa. They think he has what it takes to play in the NHL.

Agreed, gotta think that makes Blum think twice abount wanting to resign. Would not be surprised to not see him retained.

tomthestone*

Right. I think Folin is one of the two blueliners we need injected into the lineup. Hopefully the other righty Dman we're missing isn't on the roster right now. Counting on another Fletch to pull off another highway robbery on draft day.

Jarick

Doing Nothing

I'd assume Folin takes over for Prosser, Blum is an RFA and cheap option there. Dumba could come along in 1-2 years.

I don't mind Stoner, but we still have Ballard on the books for another year.

As much as I think the Wild need an impact D-man, I don't think they will do anything.

I do think Zucker is still a threat to be that speedy depth scorer for the team, much like Haula was down the stretch.

Would be nice to have one more quality RW though to push Coyle and Pominville.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

The Wild need to re-sign Stoner, who was pretty amazing at points in the playoffs, but they are stuck with Ballard and Folin should get a long look to make the starting roster.

I think that does it for the blueline. Our top-4 was pretty remarkable down the stretch given their age.

tomthestone*

I'd assume Folin takes over for Prosser, Blum is an RFA and cheap option there. Dumba could come along in 1-2 years.

I don't mind Stoner, but we still have Ballard on the books for another year.

As much as I think the Wild need an impact D-man, I don't think they will do anything.

I do think Zucker is still a threat to be that speedy depth scorer for the team, much like Haula was down the stretch.

Would be nice to have one more quality RW though to push Coyle and Pominville.

I could see Ballard being flipped for some kind of draft pick. Getting Zucker to pull a Haula would be ideal, but that's a lot to count on. There's no reason to expect Zucker to make the Wild, which is actually a good thing. He'll get his shot early in the year regardless once injuries hit, and he obviously needs to continue working on his game.

Fletcher seems to have made a nice little trade partner in the Sabres organization. I wonder what it would take to pry Chris Stewart off their hands? Cooke-Haula-Stewart would crush as a third line. And that dude is tough as nails. Not the kind of guy teams want to play against.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I think you handle Vanek by not viewing it as:

Option 1: We sign him for 7 million/year+

or

Option 2: We don't sign him and go with the kids.

Rather, there is price point for everything, and at some price, the Wild take Vanek and at some point, they don't take him.

I think the smart way to handle Vanek would be to offer him $35 million for 7-years ($5 million/year). If he takes it, great. 4 years from now, when he's not producing, it's a lot easier to move or hide a reasonable cap hit - especially when you can take back salary!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad