Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency V [Mod Warning Post #1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ree-Agencyrfa-compensation-table-offer-sheets

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Does anyone here still want Vanek? I would rather give Nino top 6 minutes and use the extra cap space on depth and defense. We don't need Vanek. Our young guys are going to bring us all the scoring needed.

J22*

Does anyone here still want Vanek? I would rather give Nino top 6 minutes and use the extra cap space on depth and defense. We don't need Vanek. Our young guys are going to bring us all the scoring needed.

Whether or not I still want Vanek isn't even a question. The three questions I would want answered are

1. How much do I think he's worth?
2. How long do I think he will be worth that much?
3. Will he sign for that much and that long?

The emergence of Coyle, Nino and even Haula just means that the Wild dont have to bend over for Vanek, it shouldn't mean that they dont want a player of his caliber. I would give him the same deal that they just gave Pominville without even thinking twice about it.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ree-Agencyrfa-compensation-table-offer-sheets

$1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Did that change in the new CBA? I swear the 4 first rounder threshold was a lot lower.

I've kind of soured on Vanek after seeing what the lineup we currently have can do.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
Whether or not I still want Vanek isn't even a question. The three questions I would want answered are

1. How much do I think he's worth?
2. How long do I think he will be worth that much?
3. Will he sign for that much and that long?

The emergence of Coyle, Nino and even Haula just means that the Wild dont have to bend over for Vanek, it shouldn't mean that they dont want a player of his caliber. I would give him the same deal that they just gave Pominville without even thinking twice about it.

I would love to have Vanek if it were only for a few years with a Pominville type cap hit, but it is hard to believe he would take that if other teams are willing to lock him up long term for more than he is worth. I think we would be smart to offer him nothing more than that and if he wants more let him go elsewhere.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Vanek adds more scoring depth and allows this team to run 3 solid scoring lines and at least 2 1/2 defensive forward lines that are not massive liabilities in the defensive zone. But if people are expecting him to score 35+ they are going to have a bad time. Also a bigger fan of this:

Parise-Granlund-Poms
Nino-Koivu-Coyle
Vanek-Haula-Zucker/Bulmer
Cooke-Brodziak-Fontaine

Dat 3rd line....

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Vanek isn't very fast, and isn't going to get any faster. I am not on board with paying him a crapload of $$. 30M over 5-6 years I can live with. I'm assuming that if he takes a discount he will want a NTC.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN

if you count on nino or coyle for the 2nd line you really cant expect more than 20G , where as vanek could produce upto 30G. vaneks first 3 years will probably be very good, its the remaining 3 years he could be heater2. im really struggling with which choice is better. count on & develop the young guns or go with a high priced vet? i hope the master plan is to get younger , faster , & bigger. i would still like us to trade for bjugstad!

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Vanek isn't very fast, and isn't going to get any faster. I am not on board with paying him a crapload of $$. 30M over 5-6 years I can live with. I'm assuming that if he takes a discount he will want a NTC.

He'll still be able to skate a lot more fluidly than Cooke or Fontaine I would imagine, no? Get a good playmaker on that line for Haula and Vanek and it becomes a very viable threat at the very least.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Any interest in Phaneuf? What would it take to get him? I know he's signed to a long contract and is around the same age as most of our vets, but he could be the piece we're missing in the D. He wouldn't have to be #1 here.

The term is my biggest issue. 5 years is my max. Vanek could end up very ineffective in a few years with his style of play, and I would rather not be saddled with him when that happens. Pay him as much as he wants to for a few years and give him his NTC as long as you don't have him signed until he's close to 40.

Last edited:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Any interest in Phaneuf? What would it take to get him? I know he's signed to a long contract and is around the same age as most of our vets, but he could be the piece we're missing in the D. He wouldn't have to be #1 here.

The term is my biggest issue. 5 years is my max. Vanek could end up very ineffective in a few years with his style of play, and I would rather not be saddled with him when that happens. Pay him as much as he wants to for a few years and give him his NTC as long as you don't have him signed until he's close to 40.

I'm very interested in Phaneuf. I'd very much rather get an established veteran top-4 Dman than Vanek. Phaneuf would be a solid #3.

Suter-Brodin
Phaneuf-Spurgeon
Scandella-Folin/Whoever
Stoner

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota

Look at it this way.

Vanek is my favorite player. My inspiration to play hockey... But even now with the way Niño is playing I think he could play top 6 minutes. For me to say I would be okay with us not signing Vanek, that should say a lot.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota
In just going to double post since it's a little bit of a different topic.

I think the wild's top priority is to nab a top 4 puck moving defenseman. I think some of the problems of our offense can be blamed a bit on the defense being a bit subpar in moving the puck. The only players that I think are good at moving the puck are Suter, Brodin, and Spurgeon. Even Spurgeon scares me sometimes though. Scandella is getting better, but isn't quite there yet. If we add a good right handed defenseman to play with Suter, then we have options. I think Spurgeon and Scandella could make a good pairing given that they are somewhat opposites brig that Scandella is Bette defensively and Spurgeon is better offensively. I think they could make a good 3rd pairing. That could be counted on to play some special teams. Brodin look like a solid 2nd pairing guy in the future. And by that I mean like one of the best 2nd pairing defenders in the league.

(Is Dumba a righty or lefty?)

Maybe we should try to get two top 4 defenders and just completely throw the thought of Vanek out of our minds.

Pairings like

Suter-???
Brodin-???
Spurgeon-Scandella

The biggest challenge that the wild face is that we have a team that we need on win right now. The window is now forbid too win. So IMO the best option for us is to sign Niskanen and then a goalie whether it be Halak Miller or Hiller to make a good Tandem with Kuemper. Unless Bryz continues to play ok this playoffs.

So realistically the team lines next year that I think would give us ye best chance to brig us a championship to Minnesota would be

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Niño-Koivu-Coyle
Zucker-Haula-Fontaine
Cooke-Brodziak-McCormick

Suter-Niskanen
Brodin-Folin??
Scandella-Spurgeon

Miller
Kuemper

I am going to assume that Saint Louis won't extend Miller after that wonderful playoff performance he had.

I would love to hear everybody's thoughts on this.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I'm very interested in Phaneuf. I'd very much rather get an established veteran top-4 Dman than Vanek. Phaneuf would be a solid #3.

Suter-Brodin
Phaneuf-Spurgeon
Scandella-Folin/Whoever
Stoner

I like the way that looks :nod:

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Vanek gives the team a lot of options:

Parise - Granlund - Pominville
Nino - Haula - Vanek
Cooke - Koivu - Coyle
Zucker - Brodziak - Fontaine

The NHL14 fan in me LOVES this. The NHL IRL fan in me is scared of how little grit and toughness we would have. I know it's not dramatically different than what we have now, but what happens when some random goon on Colorado steps up on one of the skilled players? Unless we're planning on running with 3 or 4 fighting d-men...

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
phaneuf would cost too much trading 4 him even though he would be a nice addition. i wouldn't giveup 4- 1st for crosby! assuming vanek & niskanen are both free agents i'd low bid vanek 6 mill x 6 if he wants to play here & 5 mill x 6 bid for niskanen. pass if they dont like it. what if the blues dump miller , do you make room & pick him up at a reasonable price?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
phaneuf would cost too much trading 4 him even though he would be a nice addition. i wouldn't giveup 4- 1st for crosby! assuming vanek & niskanen are both free agents i'd low bid vanek 6 mill x 6 if he wants to play here & 5 mill x 6 bid for niskanen. pass if they dont like it. what if the blues dump miller , do you make room & pick him up at a reasonable price?

Really? I would and it wouldn't even be a hard decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad