Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency IX - Wild Looking For A Defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
It's prett much tank the season with what we've got. Or carry 3 goalies. That's our only two options. It will be interesting to see what Fletcher does, it will be a message saying either we are going for the playoffs or calling it a season.

Billy Mays Here*

Even after this season how do we solve the goaltending? Harding will be gone but Backs will still have that NMC and Kuemper will still be on a one way.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I wouldn't just go for a depth dman at this point. I'd go for a top4 D. Preferably young and still developing, but also already proven. And all-around dman. Someone who hits ok, is physical enough and scores every now and then. And plays good hockey.

Talking the likes of:
Travis Hamonic
Michael Stone
Jake Muzzin
maybe David Savard

Sure I know it would be very hard to find a decent deal around any of these. For many reasons.

Ceiu

Oct 31, 2011
Even after this season how do we solve the goaltending? Harding will be gone but Backs will still have that NMC and Kuemper will still be on a one way.

How does the waiver situation work during the off-season? Would it be possible to stuff Kuemper in the AHL without going through waivers?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

A possible silver lining...

With Granlund and Haula not doing what we expected them to do, their next contracts should be whole lot cheaper than originally thought, therefore, we'll have a little more room this summer than we thought, therefore a Backstrom buyout might be more of a viable option.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
What kind of goalie (yeah, I know, one who stops the pucks) do we want to go for? I mean anything is possible since it's a business, but what do we really want to do? There are a lot of different kinds of possibilities to target.
- elite goalies
- high end starters
- lower value starters
- former starters, now backups
- backups with starter potential
- your avg starter/backup tweeners
- young starter/backups (say Kuemper type)
- career backups
- veterans
- soon to be ready high end prospects
- high end prospects a few years away
- just prospects
- good European goalies unproven in NA
- just a freaking goalie or his mother
and then some

I personally would like to see us getting someone to really challenge Kuemps next year. Someone young and ready or very close it with starter potential. Someone to push himself and Darcy forward.

I would not like us to go for proven high-end or elite starters unless we could somehow steal somebody and that's not going to happen. Too costly. And I don't want no middle of the pack average anythings with this team. I'd rather us taking a risk on some prospect than overpaying for something ok but meh.

You guys?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I'd do nothing major this year, buyout Backstrom after the year, see who is on the market this summer.

Scheduled to be UFA's:

Niemi
Leggio
Gustavvson
Curry
Lindback
Emery
Greiss
MacIntyre
Zepp
Leighton
Enroth*
McDonald
Ellis
Fasth
McKenna
Nabakov
Harding
Neuvirth
Clemmensen
Dubnyk
Bachman
Theissen
Brodeur
LaBarbera
Ramo
Bryzgalov
McElhinney

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Scheduled to be UFA's:

Niemi
Leggio
Gustavvson
Curry
Lindback
Emery
Greiss
MacIntyre
Zepp
Leighton
Enroth*
McDonald
Ellis
Fasth
McKenna
Nabakov
Harding
Neuvirth
Clemmensen
Dubnyk
Bachman
Theissen
Brodeur
LaBarbera
Ramo
Bryzgalov
McElhinney

Niemi, Enroth, Emery and Bryz would be my first choices. We should have room to sign one at ~$3m-$4m.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
How does the waiver situation work during the off-season? Would it be possible to stuff Kuemper in the AHL without going through waivers?

I'd like to know this as well. Would be a pretty simple way to solve the Keumper thing if we still have any confidence that he can become a #1 in the future after this season is over.

Billy Mays Here*

Niemi and Enroth only ones I'd be interested in. Solid starter in Niemi to assume the mantle with Kuemper backing up or bring in Enroth to battle with Kuemper for the starting job. Another name I'm becoming somewhat intrigued with is Reimer. Possible Kuemper - Reimer battle for starting job next year? He's had decent numbers in Toronto, is still fairly young, and assuming we can get back to our usual defensive level I think he'd be a decent pickup for us.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Niemi and Enroth only ones I'd be interested in. Solid starter in Niemi to assume the mantle with Kuemper backing up or bring in Enroth to battle with Kuemper for the starting job. Another name I'm becoming somewhat intrigued with is Reimer. Possible Kuemper - Reimer battle for starting job next year? He's had decent numbers in Toronto, is still fairly young, and assuming we can get back to our usual defensive level I think he'd be a decent pickup for us.

Inconsistency in Reimer's game terrifies me. With that said it would be an upgrade in terms of consistency that we are getting now.

I agree Enroth and Niemi. Cam Ward is also a plausible option as he has on year left on his deal after this season but the money is 6.3

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

I'd take any of those names, especially Niemi. Reimer has an attractive salary, but I only worry about what the Leafs would set for his price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad