Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency IX - Wild Looking For A Defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dallas totally stole Seguin.

Regarding Despres. Love to have him here. The only way I could see us landing him is if PITT is desperate for a winger for Malkin. Winger is our deepest position.

I feel like Pomminville would be good on Malkin's wing.

Pitt can't take on any salary, in the unlikely event that Fletcher would trade Pominville for Despres+.

They would probably want someone like Zucker or Coyle.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Ive been ripped on many times for declaring my opinion as far back as fall, that we are sorely missing a physical DMan and Stoners leaving was a much bigger blow than some think. Today Russo, who just spent 2 hours on a plane with Fletcher the other day, basically said the same thing. Players go to our net hard with no fears, that's not good !

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Yeah, having Clayton Stoner on this team would make us a division contending team :laugh:

(I know I'm minimalizing your argument but still - problems are way bigger than that)

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
This year I agree with those saying the waiver wire is the most realistic option for this team. We have very few players to trade from and most have seen their value dip this season with poor play. Haula to me is the only young guy I could see Fletcher moving but it would have to be a part of a bigger package. It really sucks that guys like Bulmer, Phillips, and Busseries have all been so disappointing because it leaves us with very few trade chips and a terrible AHL team. As well as making it very difficult to move picks when the system is drying up again. We really have to hope guys like Lucia, Draeger, Tuch, Gilmour, Belpedio turn out. It really concerns me our lack of a prospect presence in the CHL. Other Labbe, Jenys, Duke, and Faith we have nothing there. I like the idea of mixing in the NCAA or USNTDP in the draft process but relying on it wholly is a mistake IMO.

Best case scenario is we get lucky on the waiver wire or Fletcher can pull off some magic. There just isn't an easy solution here. No realistic trade is going to fix this team. Maybe a coaching change is needed I don't know? This team just looks lifeless and so unbelievably underwhelming night in and night out.

Slick Willy*

Who are we trading for a goalie in Buffalo? I heard we're going to move someone or two for one of their goalies.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Guess it wasn't from Russo, but apparently Fletcher denied interest, though it wouldn't say much about the confidence of your own if he didn't deny it. Here's the article.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...-tough-spot-with-their-goaltending-situation/

Ahh... Thank you for the link. I like Enroth and think he would be GREAT with a defense that's not Buffalo's... His cap hit last time I was on Capgeek (Too bad it's gone) I think I remember his hit being 1.25M this year? I think we can get him for a 2nd... Re-sign and sell out on Backstrom. Done deal.

If we take a run at Cam Ward, his salary is like 6.3M... He will move because he is actually playing well but the team is so bad.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota
Ahh... Thank you for the link. I like Enroth and think he would be GREAT with a defense that's not Buffalo's... His cap hit last time I was on Capgeek (Too bad it's gone) I think I remember his hit being 1.25M this year? I think we can get him for a 2nd... Re-sign and sell out on Backstrom. Done deal.

If we take a run at Cam Ward, his salary is like 6.3M... He will move because he is actually playing well but the team is so bad.

yeah I wouldn't mind Enroth and maybe do a deal that involved Backstrom in it so we'd get a Left Handed D and Enroth and we Move Backstrom and other pieces.

As for Capgeek being gone it really sucks but there is another site definitely not as good but will have to do.

http://nhlnumbers.com/

so do something like

Enroth ,Meszaros

for

Backstrom, Prosser + +

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah there was an Enroth thread on the main boards yesterday where Buffalo fans wanted at least a first rounder.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Buffalo will ask for an overpayment on any of their players - look what we paid for Pominville :laugh: :cry:

Eh, even with his playoff performance last year and this current season, I still think we got a good deal. Johan Larsson isn't exactly tearing it up. Matt Hackett was waived and went unclaimed. The mid-1st is what you have to pay to get a 1st liner on a team that's about the rebuild. The 2nd sweetened the deal. All in all, the price wasn't (and still isn't) that steep.

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
Eh, even with his playoff performance last year and this current season, I still think we got a good deal. Johan Larsson isn't exactly tearing it up. Matt Hackett was waived and went unclaimed. The mid-1st is what you have to pay to get a 1st liner on a team that's about the rebuild. The 2nd sweetened the deal. All in all, the price wasn't (and still isn't) that steep.

I hear all of this - but Larsson was a C who appeared to be on track to be at least serviceable for us (captain of our AHL team iirc, was excited for a new C at the time) and Hackett looked great until we broke him by trading him to Buffalo. Hackett lost a decent team in front of him and a great goalie coach.

So yeah, you're right, it doesn't look that horrible because of those two.... now - but that is 4 wildcards for one player who is now declining, is soft, and isn't a C. JMHO

Last edited:

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I hear all of this - but Larsson was a C who appeared to be on track to be at least serviceable for us (captain of our AHL team iirc, was excited for a new C at the time) and Hackett looked great until we broke him by trading him to Buffalo. Hackett lost a decent team in front of him and a great goalie coach.

So yeah, you're right, it doesn't look that horrible because of those two.... now - but that is 4 wildcards for one player who is now declining, is soft, and isn't a C. JMHO

and we prolly would have missed the playoffs twice and this year if we hung onto those guys:shakehead

Loopy0ne

ugg
Jul 4, 2011
and we prolly would have missed the playoffs twice and this year if we hung onto those guys:shakehead

The first year maybe - but other than that, I'd bet we still make it and Hackett could be here to push Darcy. He did start his career in the NHL looking awesome before he was exiled to Buffalo...

Bonus: Yeo has one less veteran to give a free pass to. But who knows..

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The positive side of Granlund and Haula regressing is that their next contracts should come in at a lower number, which means we can maybe take on some more salary next season.

I would target Cam Ward. Give any prospect not named Dumba or Tuch (Which probably means Graovac, Olofson, or Lucia) Backstrom and Cooke would have to go the other way to make it work cap wise.

Note - Wow our prospect pool is weak now that everybody has graduated and Phillips/Bussi/Bulmer are busting. Would have thought all three could at least have been good AHLers.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
The positive side of Granlund and Haula regressing is that their next contracts should come in at a lower number, which means we can maybe take on some more salary next season.

I would target Cam Ward. Give any prospect not named Dumba or Tuch (Which probably means Graovac, Olofson, or Lucia) Backstrom and Cooke would have to go the other way to make it work cap wise.

Note - Wow our prospect pool is weak now that everybody has graduated and Phillips/Bussi/Bulmer are busting. Would have thought all three could at least have been good AHLers.

The cap hit on Ward scares me at 6.3M. Limits are options for upgrading elsehwere

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Everyone's in college also not giving up young d-men(olofsson either). Cap hit for ward also how long is going to stay healthy?

iLLogik87

Jan 5, 2015
Antarctica
I find it interesting that Boston Bruins are reportedly shopping Lucic around. His six million dollar salary scares me quite a bit but I would definitely take him on the Minnesota Wild. I like his strength and aggressive play style. I cringe at what we would have to give up for him, though...

Jarick

Doing Nothing
5v5 save percentage the last two years:

Enroth: 0.924
Kuemper: 0.920

I'd rather improve the defense and let Kuemper improve than give up draft picks and prospects for a marginal goaltending improvement. Unless they can move Backstrom somehow, with his NMC.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

I'd rather improve the defense and let Kuemper improve than give up draft picks and prospects for a marginal goaltending improvement. Unless they can move Backstrom somehow, with his NMC.
If Buffalo really wanted to tank they would trade enroth for Backstrom.b

I have feeling fletcher feels the same way about not giving up picks/prospects.

Jesus comma Brodin

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Do you think we need to take into account the teams they played for and not just raw numbers?

Also, the Leafs are an alleged open book right now... Anybody we want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce