Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The way Kuemper is playing I do not think we should seriously consider trading for a starting goaltender.

We should be trading for someone who can play the veteran backup role with Harding and Backstrom out long term.

Hell, Brodeur would be perfect for that role, if we can get him dirt cheap. I do not think that is a likely possibility.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
It would be great if Bäckström somehow stayed healthy the rest of the season. Let Kuemper be the #1 (he's earned it, IMO) and roll with Bäckström/veteran backup as #2.

~50 games for Kuemps, ~30 games for Bäckström/veteran backup.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The way Kuemper is playing I do not think we should seriously consider trading for a starting goaltender.

We should be trading for someone who can play the veteran backup role with Harding and Backstrom out long term.

Hell, Brodeur would be perfect for that role, if we can get him dirt cheap. I do not think that is a likely possibility.

Just for arguments sake... What if it only took Zucker + a 2nd to get Miller, what then?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Just for arguments sake... What if it only took Zucker + a 2nd to get Miller, what then?

I'd do it, but only if Miller's more or less guaranteed to resign. If we're trading for a guaranteed rental goalie, he'd better be dirt cheap. We're not making a cup run this season, so it wouldn't make sense to give up Zucker for a couple of months of Miller.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'd do it, but only if Miller's more or less guaranteed to resign. If we're trading for a guaranteed rental goalie, he'd better be dirt cheap. We're not making a cup run this season, so it wouldn't make sense to give up Zucker for a couple of months of Miller.

Who said? Why not?

TheInstigator

Nov 7, 2013
Who said? Why not?

I completely agree, we have shown we can compete (when we show up). With so many pieces being available this deadline and a little hot streak here by the Wild I wouldn't be surprised if GMCF made a move to give us an outside chance for a deep run.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I completely agree, we have shown we can compete (when we show up). With so many pieces being available this deadline and a little hot streak here by the Wild I wouldn't be surprised if GMCF made a move to give us an outside chance for a deep run.

I'm not suggesting that the Wild should be considered favorites to win the Cup....but to say they won't win the Cup is just as crazy as calling them favorites. It's a cliche, but it's true, all you need is a hot goalie, the team peaking at the right time, and a little puck luck.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild won't make a Cup run this year without another top six guy up front. Our goaltending is already brilliant, why muddy the waters with a rental that costs us players?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Wild won't make a Cup run this year without another top six guy up front. Our goaltending is already brilliant, why muddy the waters with a rental that costs us players?

I disagree...I think our top 6 is good enough, especially now that Granlund has appeared to take the next step..and Nino and Coyle have both been continually improving as well. Adding a healthy Koivu really strengthens those top two lines.

IMO, it comes more down to can Suter hold up in the playoffs playing the number of minutes he has been? And can Kuemper keep it up?

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Who said? Why not?

For starters, we don't even have six top 6 worthy forwards, 4-5 at best depending on how you look at Nino. We have lots of young players in key roles and little playoff experience. The defense becomes questionable immediately if Suter's play declines or he goes down with an injury.

I don't even think the window's open yet, and therefore it would be a foolish move to trade anything of value for a clear rental goalie. Get someone like Brodeur now if needed and let Kuemper handle most of the load, or trade for a better goalie who has term left after this season or who's willing to resign.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
For starters, we don't even have six top 6 worthy forwards, 4-5 at best depending on how you look at Nino. We have lots of young players in key roles and little playoff experience. The defense becomes questionable immediately if Suter's play declines or he goes down with an injury.

I don't even think the window's open yet, and therefore it would be a foolish move to trade anything of value for a clear rental goalie. Get someone like Brodeur now if needed and let Kuemper handle most of the load, or trade for a better goalie who has term left after this season or who's willing to resign.

I think our top 6 is clearly capable of making a deep run. Like I said before, if the team is playing it's best hockey and Kuemper stays hot, anything can happen. Hockey is funny that way. I also like our chances more if we get a crack at Chicago or Anaheim to start the playoffs...St Louis is the worst match-up to start.

I'm not advocating we sell the farm for Miller. I also think we should ride Kuemper and bring in a veteran to back him up.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Aside from Heatley and Brodziak, the Wild's group of forwards is actually pretty good. There aren't any gamebreakers (which, I admit, need in the playoffs), but the kids are going to be huge for us.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
IMO, drop Brodziak down to 4c and put Haula at 3c. Haula has more offensive instinct, a better shot, and better hands, is quite fast, and he's decent in the defensive zone as well.

Brodziak is actually fine, just not in any role that requires offense. He's strong on the PK, tenacious on D, and good at face-offs; exactly what you need from your 4c.

I think Yeo has a little too much of a hang-up with this whole vet vs rookie bs. Give it to the guy who's shown he deserves it.

It's Mikko vs Grankland 2.0.

Cooke-Haula-Fontaine.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
In this thread:

People undervaluing Miller. He is good. Like really, really good. I'd love to see what Miller could do behind a real defense.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
According to a tweet from Dreger, Carolina is open to trading Cam Ward. Any interest?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No to Ward, no to Miller.

With our veteran goalie situation in such flux, and with Kuemper playing so well, I think it's time to find out what we have with him and that's only going to happen if he plays and plays in high-intensity situations. Unless he divebombs these next few games (which I think is unlikely), that means he should be our starter for the rest of the year and into the playoffs.

He's not some 19-20 year old kid that needs to be coddled. He's about to turn 24 and has 2.5 years of AHL (where he has performed very well) and we all see what he's doing at the NHL level. It's time. If we want a veteran backup, no problem, maybe that'll be Backs and maybe not, but we shouldn't trade for anybody that we'd be pressured to start over Kuemper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad