Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Continue here.

Part yksi
Part kaksi

Part kolme.

I would if we didn't already have question marks in net. A high risk, high reward goalie to back up a solid starter would be a great idea. But to back up a guy with serious health concerns...that's too risky IMO.

I was thinking more of a guy like Raanta, who can step into the NHL quickly if required to do so. There are a lot of really solid goalies in Europe who were never drafted or brought over for one reason or another. Maybe they were just late bloomers, or maybe there was another reason. Either way, it's not exactly a high-risk move, and it could end up being very high reward if we stumble across another Bäckström.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
100% no reason to sign Miller unless (and very huge unless) Harding is not coming back this year and will be retiring because of MS and Backstrom has expressed his thoughts of retiring as well because of injury.

And even then, bringing him now would only make me wonder why. Especially with how many UFA's will be out there in the goalie realm that are putting in a solid amount of NHL time for the respective organizations.

Just doesn't make sense at all. Especially with how DK has been playing. You are demoting him back to Iowa and if the other two don't retire, then you are forced with waiving someone.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
right now there is two offers.. blues - halak, rattie and a 1st and wild coyle/grandland, heatley and a 1st

my question is, is it worth giving up good young talent in granlund and coyle for miller who is a ufa who might not even resign

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
right now there is two offers.. blues - halak, rattie and a 1st and wild coyle/grandland, heatley and a 1st

my question is, is it worth giving up good young talent in granlund and coyle for miller who is a ufa who might not even resign

If they do that type of transaction they've all but solidified by stance they are going all in on winning either this year or next year at the absolute most. They'll have given up quite a few prospects for proven veterans with maybe a year or two left in the tank before it gets a little rockier.

sisseton

Jan 12, 2012
Minnesota

IMHO it's totally not worth it, not for a guy like Miller. I'd rather sign Jose Theodore or Tim Thomas etc, and actually right now I'd be fine with Kuemper as starter and then have a veteran backup if Harding and Backstrom are no go's.

J22*

You might want to check your sources on that because its not gonna happen.

Billy Mays Here*

Considering how much of a defensive team we are, I don't think we necessarily need an all-star goalie to keep us competitive. A competent veteran would probably suffice. It's not so much the drop in play that concerns me about Backs anymore, it's more the constant flow of injuries he sustains. We need someone more reliable. As for Hards, yeah, I don't even know anymore. Of course I'm rooting for the guy but MS is so darn unpredictable. . . .

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
IMHO it's totally not worth it, not for a guy like Miller. I'd rather sign Jose Theodore or Tim Thomas etc, and actually right now I'd be fine with Kuemper as starter and then have a veteran backup if Harding and Backstrom are no go's.

I think we should temper our enthusiasm on Kuemper. Yeah he's playing hot right now, but we want consistency over a very long period before we should inaugurate him starter. For all we know this is just a streak. I want someone solid to either play tandem with or start in front of until he is proven ready for the starting role full time.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I think we should temper our enthusiasm on Kuemper. Yeah he's playing hot right now, but we want consistency over a very long period before we should inaugurate him starter. For all we know this is just a streak. I want someone solid to either play tandem with or start in front of until he is proven ready for the starting role full time.

The best part is that with a solid defense infront of him Kuempur can have the time to further develop his tool set, he has some very very nice tools and is showing he can be a damn good goalie.

Ryan Miller would be fantastic, too bad we can't get him for cheap.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
100% no reason to sign Miller unless (and very huge unless) Harding is not coming back this year and will be retiring because of MS and Backstrom has expressed his thoughts of retiring as well because of injury.

And even then, bringing him now would only make me wonder why. Especially with how many UFA's will be out there in the goalie realm that are putting in a solid amount of NHL time for the respective organizations.

Just doesn't make sense at all. Especially with how DK has been playing. You are demoting him back to Iowa and if the other two don't retire, then you are forced with waiving someone.

Really 100% no reason?? Who are your goalies next year?? You want to roll with the uncertainty of Harding and Backstrom for another year? No Thanks. That said I dont give up a 1st and Coyle or Granlund to get Miller, but if you can get him for cheaper than that why wouldnt you? People are saying the system the Wild play they dont need an All Star/Olympic goalie. I will say this IMO If you put Ryan Miller on this roster I am not as scared to play Anaheim or Chicago in the 1st round cause he is the type of goalie that can steal series from teams. If you can lock up Miller for a few years this is a pretty good team if the youngsters continue to progress

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Lots of talk of Blues fans wanting C. Stewart gone. T. Mitchell + 3rd for C. Stewart sound like a plan? Heck I'd probably even do a 2nd.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Best reasonable scenario this year is that we make the playoffs. Then the reasonable outcome will be we get our ***** handed to us in 5 or 6 games.

Our coaching staff has not shown any great ability - most of us can agree on that, and you have to think that Fletch is around a similar mindset; Yeolo's job wasn't on the line for no reason earlier.

We have way too many kiddies that are trying to figure their stuff out this year as well, and need more time to develop. They're doing well for the most part, but we are not a dominant team in part, because of it.

Our forward and defensive cocktail is still being mixed and is not quite there yet. I'm sure Fletch will work on rectifying this more over the offseason, if history is a good indicator of his actions.

Therefor, trading for Ryan Miller, especially for the cost, would be really stupid and have negative long term affects on our team. We're not winning squat this year, and maybe only a little more next year, depending on how everything pans out. No benefit would come to us for throwing all those resources to bring in Miller.

I have backed Fletch since he became our GM, but IF he did that, I would seriously have to question his decision making and competency. This team would be looking at some tough times ahead if Fletch starts doing **** like that.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Lots of talk of Blues fans wanting C. Stewart gone. T. Mitchell + 3rd for C. Stewart sound like a plan? Heck I'd probably even do a 2nd.

Done.

At the very least it would stop Stuart from scoring on us - he always seems to when we play!

He's a rough dude too, and we could use one of them on our fourth line.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Best reasonable scenario this year is that we make the playoffs. Then the reasonable outcome will be we get our ***** handed to us in 5 or 6 games.

Our coaching staff has not shown any great ability - most of us can agree on that, and you have to think that Fletch is around a similar mindset; Yeolo's job wasn't on the line for no reason earlier.

We have way too many kiddies that are trying to figure their stuff out this year as well, and need more time to develop. They're doing well for the most part, but we are not a dominant team in part, because of it.

Our forward and defensive cocktail is still being mixed and is not quite there yet. I'm sure Fletch will work on rectifying this more over the offseason, if history is a good indicator of his actions.

Therefor, trading for Ryan Miller, especially for the cost, would be really stupid and have negative long term affects on our team. We're not winning squat this year, and maybe only a little more next year, depending on how everything pans out. No benefit would come to us for throwing all those resources to bring in Miller.

I have backed Fletch since he became our GM, but IF he did that, I would seriously have to question his decision making and competency. This team would be looking at some tough times ahead if Fletch starts doing **** like that.

You know this how? Did you think the 03 Wild would go to the Conference finals and have home ice in the conference finals? Or how about the #91 North Stars, Beating the Presidents trophy Black Hawks in the 1st round then the 2nd best record Blues in the 2nd round, then beating the Stanley Cup Champions Oilers to go to the Cup. How about the 06 Oilers who went to Game 7 of the Cup Finals or How about the Flyers a few years ago who made the playoffs on the last day of the season in a Shootout and went to the Finals. I hate people who say you have zero shot in the playoffs. Its the NHL upsets happen, Especially if you have an elite goalie

Jarick

Doing Nothing

Those offers are just rumors from fan sites. The people with connections like Bob McKenzie have refuted them.

I like what I'm seeing from Kuemper, but we can't just assume he's going to be our starter next year because of this streak.

Remember when the Blue Jackets crowned Steve Mason after he won the Calder and was runner up for Vezina? He sucked and it set the team back.

I would rather they bring him along slowly and get backup plans.

There's no way in hell Mitchell + 3rd gets it done. He has 15 goals this year. It would be closer to Cooke + 2nd or something like that, if anything.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
You know this how? Did you think the 03 Wild would go to the Conference finals and have home ice in the conference finals? Or how about the #91 North Stars, Beating the Presidents trophy Black Hawks in the 1st round then the 2nd best record Blues in the 2nd round, then beating the Stanley Cup Champions Oilers to go to the Cup. How about the 06 Oilers who went to Game 7 of the Cup Finals or How about the Flyers a few years ago who made the playoffs on the last day of the season in a Shootout and went to the Finals. I hate people who say you have zero shot in the playoffs. Its the NHL upsets happen, Especially if you have an elite goalie

What over the last two and a half years has given you such confidence that you can say my post is unreasonable?

You're comparing Yeo to Lemaire in coaching ability '03?

And my entire post was based on what seems most reasonable given everything. There is nothing unreasonable about that. I would say it is far less reasonable to expect, or truly hope for an upset.

You're going to attack what I said and what I believe because you expect other people to put unreasonable faith and hope into a team that has only shown itself to be horribly inconsistent, and that does still not have a strong identity.

Not cool man.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
What over the last two and a half years has given you such confidence that you can say my post is unreasonable?

You're comparing Yeo to Lemaire in coaching ability '03?

And my entire post was based on what seems most reasonable given everything. There is nothing unreasonable about that. I would say it is far less reasonable to expect, or truly hope for an upset.

You're going to attack what I said and what I believe because you expect other people to put unreasonable faith and hope into a team that has only shown itself to be horribly inconsistent, and that does still not have a strong identity.

Not cool man.

Umm not attacking you LOL, But if you are a fan and follow the NHL you should know that saying a team isnt going to do anything in the playoffs is a ridiculous statement, There are upsets nearly every year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Then there's the case of the unknown goalie who came into the Stanley Cup playoffs, stood on his head to beat the overwhelming favorites, and won the Cup. He didn't have enough regular games under his belt to qualify as a rookie, and was eligible for ROY the next year.

This flash in the pan was called Ken Dryden.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Any interest in Dan Boyle if he hits UFA? He's 35, so maybe a three year deal?

Last three years his 82 game pace has been 11 goals and 31 points. Right hand shot and can play on the PP.

I think he'll eventually end up staying in SJ.

I know he plays in Pittsburgh, but Niskanen's numbers are hard to ignore this year. Not just Pitt either, he was productive in Dallas as well.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think he'll eventually end up staying in SJ.

I know he plays in Pittsburgh, but Niskanen's number are hard to ignore this year. Not just Pitt either, he was productive in Dallas as well.

He's worth taking a look at for a 4-6 spot. But due to Letangs injury, he's been getting great minutes. But his point total is likely not all that repeatable(even if he were to resign with the Pens). 19 of his 23 assists are secondary assists, and he is rocking a 104.3 PDO. So he is getting some good puck luck while on the ice.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He's worth taking a look at for a 4-6 spot. But due to Letangs injury, he's been getting great minutes. But his point total is likely not all that repeatable(even if he were to resign with the Pens). 19 of his 23 assists are secondary assists, and he is rocking a 104.3 PDO. So he is getting some good puck luck while on the ice.

I agree that he wouldn't score 50 on this team, but if he is reliable defensively (I don't study Pittsburgh's defensive play, so I'm not sure if he is. Sounds like Pens fans like him though), and he's good for 25-30 points? I'd be ok with ~ $4m. Could be a relatively cheap way to be able to split the Suter/Brodin pairing up.

Suter - Niskanen
Scandella - Brodin
Ballard - Spurgeon

I think Pittsburgh brings him back though.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
And, most importantly, Niskanen is a home boy!! This would make Matt the second most beloved hockey player behind another family of hockey players who also hailed from Virginia:

images

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I agree that he wouldn't score 50 on this team, but if he is reliable defensively (I don't study Pittsburgh's defensive play, so I'm not sure if he is. Sounds like Pens fans like him though), and he's good for 25-30 points? I'd be ok with ~ $4m. Could be a relatively cheap way to be able to split the Suter/Brodin pairing up.

Suter - Niskanen
Scandella - Brodin
Ballard - Spurgeon

I think Pittsburgh brings him back though.

It always amazes me when people want to put our 2nd best defense men on the third pairing because he is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad