Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You'd be surprised at how much of an impact Gaudreau has on Monahan's point totals. Gaudreau is definitely the play driver on that line, Monahan is the triggerman and cleanup crew. He doesn't have great speed or hands. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but playing with one of the best playmakers in the league for his entire career has definitely helped.
Yeah I get that, I just feel the Fiala can carry him and he can continue to be a 60-70 point player here. He’s definitely not a solution to our center issues, but I think you said something along the lines of him being able to take the reigns from Staal and keep us essentially where we are, and that’s what I’d say as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You'd be surprised at how much of an impact Gaudreau has on Monahan's point totals. Gaudreau is definitely the play driver on that line, Monahan is the triggerman and cleanup crew. He doesn't have great speed or hands. I'm not saying he's a bad player, but playing with one of the best playmakers in the league for his entire career has definitely helped.

We're not going to be putting him with scrubs.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
If he reports it, then that's another thing. If I just have to assume it, I'm not going to.

They haven't had the need to try him at center since 2015-16. The only extended time he's gotten there was his first 22 NHL games at 19 years old and he put up 13 points. After that, he was on a team with Matthews and Kadri at center. When Kadri was traded, Tavares took his spot. Toronto, rightfully, never made him the 3rd line center because that would've been a waste.
Listen to 27:30 in Guerin’s plan where he talks about Nylander.

The Russo-Souhan Show

pretty much summed up. You dont give away your best trade piece for someone who might not be a center when you could have better options. Paraphrasing of course.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah I get that, I just feel the Fiala can carry him and he can continue to be a 60-70 point player here. He’s definitely not a solution to our center issues, but I think you said something along the lines of him being able to take the reigns from Staal and keep us essentially where we are, and that’s what I’d say as well.
We're not going to be putting him with scrubs.

I think he's actually pretty similar to Staal in a lot of ways, but he's not as good, so he'd be a fine replacement, but we're also not pairing him with Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk either, so I wouldn't expect point per game numbers here either.

He's a solid 2C for sure, I'm not saying he isn't.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018

The Russo-Souhan Show

pretty much summed up. You dont give away your best trade piece for someone who might not be a center when you could have better options. Paraphrasing of course.
Do we have better options? Nylander is just as much of a center as Domi. Any scout you talked to before the Domi for Galchenyuk trade would’ve said he’s an absolute winger through and through. Nylander will never be a great 2-way center, but he most certainly can player there and produce which is what we’re asking for. He’s not going to be a matchup guy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we're poking holes in Monahan, then we need to have zero expectations of acquiring a suitable top 6 center, because Jack Eichel ain't walking through the door.

Reactions: Bazeek

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If we're poking holes in Monahan, then we need to have zero expectations of acquiring a suitable top 6 center.

Not trying to poke holes. Just trying to explain what you're getting and why some have questions about him. Like I said, I'd do Dumba for him, even Dumba and a small + if they were hung up on it.

Position be damned though, and assuming the return is the same, I would rather take the chance on Nylander than Monahan.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
QUOTE="Dr Jan Itor, post: 173264125, member: 94900"]If we're poking holes in Monahan, then we need to have zero expectations of acquiring a suitable top 6 center, because Jack Eichel ain't walking through the door.[/QUOTE]

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Do we have better options? Nylander is just as much of a center as Domi. Any scout you talked to before the Domi for Galchenyuk trade would’ve said he’s an absolute winger through and through. Nylander will never be a great 2-way center, but he most certainly can player there and produce which is what we’re asking for. He’s not going to be a matchup guy.
Monahan and if we are going to try out wingers as centers we might as well go with a Domi since in a realistic world he would be cheaper to acquire and hopefully pay.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Monahan and if we are going to try out wingers as centers we might as well go with a Domi since in a realistic world he would be cheaper to acquire and hopefully pay.
Yeah I’m down for Monahan, just not sure how realistic it is.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The Russo-Souhan Show

I would be interested in knowing he talks to that says Nylander isn't a center. Because after he says that, he goes on to say "if you think he can be a center, by all means go for it." Makes me think the guys he's talking to aren't in the Minnesota front office or pro scouting department at the very least, if any front office or pro scouting department.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Not sure how AZ fans feel, but I really think Dvorak could be a good top 6 C. He could be a William Karlsson level 1C in that he’s not a true 1C, but with good wingers he gets it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Dumba+Greenway+Donato for Mohanan.

Draft Lundell.

Develop Khovanov.

Keep pushing JEE.

Wild will either have enough center depth OR will have enough centers to acquire an Eichel or Barkov when the time is right.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I am really sour on Domi at this point. His career is rapidly going the way of Galchenyuk. Two teams desperate for centers have already given up on him. He just got supplanted by two 20 year olds in the playoffs. I don't care that he wants to play center, Galchenyuk did too. His only season as anything more than a 50 point player was in large part due to Andrew Shaw doing a lot of the dirty work for that line. 50 point player, questionable center, more effective when playing with guys who will do the dirty work for him. Between Kaprizov, Fiala and Zuccarello, who's that going to be?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not sure how AZ fans feel, but I really think Dvorak could be a good top 6 C. He could be a William Karlsson love 1C in that he’s not a true 1C, but with good wingers he gets it done.

Dvorak is a demi-god in Arizona. It's best to just not go there with their fans. On top of that, they'd want a better center back most likely.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dvorak + Domi for Nino + Zucker + Ennis

Honestly, I'm not convinced that we didn't win that non-deal looking at where we are now, where some of those players are now, and seeing what happens with Addison and that PIT 1st. Dvorak would be nice, but he's still a 2C. Addison turning into a 2/3D (even if not likely) and that 1st could be better value.

Dvorak also would have been used as a bottom six center in his time here (so far), and there'd probably be even more question about whether he can be a top 6 player. I know Arizona is one of the places offense goes to die, but he's gotten to play with players like Schmaltz, Hall and Keller and just can't seem to be the scorer they want him to be. He's a really blue collar player and does well to create room for his skilled linemates, but he doesn't have the offensive talent to put up top 6 center numbers.

Last edited:

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Honestly, I'm not convinced that we didn't win that non-deal looking at where we are now, where some of those players are now, and seeing what happens with Addison and that PIT 1st. Dvorak would be nice, but he's still a 2C. Addison turning into a 2/3D (even if not likely) and that 1st could be better value.

Dvorak also would have been used as a bottom six center in his time here (so far), and there'd probably be even more question about whether he can be a top 6 player. I know Arizona is one of the places offense goes to die, but he's gotten to play with players like Schmaltz, Hall and Keller and just can't seem to be the scorer they want him to be.
Pittsburgh’s pick will be the determining factor for me.

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
We might as well through Dylan Strome into this convo too. Why not him? His FO percentage sucks but other than that he should be targeted

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
We might as well through Dylan Strome into this convo too. Why not him? His FO percentage sucks but other than that he should be targeted
I'm more interested in Dylan than Ryan, but I worry that some GM will be willing to overpay and I definitely don't want Guerin trying to outbid them. The last thing we need to do is send some premium pieces to freaking Chicago and have Strome faceplant away from Kane and DeBrincat.

Reactions: HotDish

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Comprehensive list of targets:

Trade Targets
Dylan Strome
Ryan Strome
William Nylander
Max Domi
Jared McCann
Casey Mittlestadt
Henrik Borgstrom
Tyler Johnson
Nick Schmaltz
Sean Monahan