Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why would anyone want Domi!? The guy is loving it and making it pretty clear he wants to play in montreal for his whole career. He even has his dad wearing Habs jerseys now. Every where you turn its Domi and his love for MTL. I can see him coming here and hating it.

Because I can see him coming here and not hating it.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Morning thoughts - Maybe Billy should just do a full roster clean-up to get younger and stay the course with developing Galchenyuk, JEE, Khovanov, and possibly Boldy at center.

Send Parise to Islanders. Zucc (with large retention) and asset (thinking Greenway) to Rangers. Buyout Rask.

Accept that we will lose Dumba to expansion draft. His minutes will be replaced by Soucy, Menell, Belpedio, and/or Addison.

Centers: Staal, Galchenyuk, JEE, Khovanov, Sturm, Boldy

LWs: Mayhew, Donato, Foligno, Beckman, Boldy, Firstov

RWs: Fiala, Kaprizov, Kunin, Hartman, Donato

RD: Spurgeon, Dumba, Soucy, Menell, Belpedio, Addison

LD: Suter, Brodin, Soucy, Hunt

Goaltending is the big question.

physicaIgraffiti

Sponsor
Jul 31, 2012
Accept that we will lose Dumba to expansion draft. His minutes will be replaced by Soucy, Menell, Belpedio, and/or Addison.

Why would we ever just accept that we lose Dumba to expansion draft? Even if you're not getting the exact return you want, we should never lose a player like him to expansion. If we extend Brodin, we should be either protecting 4 defenseman or trading Dumba. Even worst case scenario of we can't get a player back for him, I'm sure there's at least one team who'd give up a 1st round pick for him. I don't know why we wouldn't at least take that as opposed to just giving him away.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
In a trade a player will only keep clauses if the new team accepts them.

Talking about a Zuccarello trade is waste of server space, he aint going anywhere thanks to his clauses. And if the Wild continue to put him on a line with 20 point players there won't be any interest for him after 3 years either.

Reactions: Shoresy

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017

Talking about a Zuccarello trade is waste of server space, he aint going anywhere thanks to his clauses. And if the Wild continue to put him on a line with 20 point players there won't be any interest for him after 3 years either.

Everyone on this team has produced when moved away from him, so if he wants change.. he needs to be the reason.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

What are you complaining about? Zucc has been given weeks and weeks to play with our No. 1 center Staal, who has more points than Zucc.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well i'd try this summer to move zucc back to rags or dallas maybe retaining upto 2 mill. im curious what would buying out both rask & dubnyk look like for cap hits (this summer)? im guessing we'd save 4 mill total to go after ufa like hall or hoffman (if available) maybe 2nd choice granlund or haula. still think we need to find a russian to help with kaprizov's transition to north america. if i was mayhew i'd demand a trade this summer if the wild arent going to make a spot for him. i'd trade hartman back to hawks for a 3rd or a 4th. menell's got to be thinking the same.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
well i'd try this summer to move zucc back to rags or dallas maybe retaining upto 2 mill. im curious what would buying out both rask & dubnyk look like for cap hits (this summer)? im guessing we'd save 4 mill total to go after ufa like hall or hoffman (if available) maybe 2nd choice granlund or haula. still think we need to find a russian to help with kaprizov's transition to north america. if i was mayhew i'd demand a trade this summer if the wild arent going to make a spot for him. i'd trade hartman back to hawks for a 3rd or a 4th. menell's got to be thinking the same.

2020-21 we would save $4.2M
2021-22 we would save $1.8M
2022-23 we would lose $1.3M
2023-24 we would lose $1.3M

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think we should just let Rask's contract run. He's been just fine in his role and I don't see us landing any top free agents. Dubnyk... sigh. He's got one year left. That's one year to prep Kahkonen for the gig.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think we should take a run at Lehner. Wouldn’t give him more than 5 years, but this team could be good with and Elite goaltender.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I think we should just let Rask's contract run. He's been just fine in his role and I don't see us landing any top free agents. Dubnyk... sigh. He's got one year left. That's one year to prep Kahkonen for the gig.
Dubnyks buyout is very cheap. Zero chance he's here next year.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

That's not right. As long as a clause is in effect the new team is bound by it.

If a clause hasn't taken effect yet, then a team can choose not to honor it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
$2.7m of dead money, what are we using the $1.6m we gain from buying him out on?

Nothing, anything. It's not about the cap savings it's about not having him on the team and longer. Cheaper to buy him out then send him to the AHL.

Also gives him a chance to latch on somewhere else.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009

Honestly the buyout doesn't look terrible after next season if nothing changes with the fit on the team. With/without a Parise-Ladd swap it would help in the situation of going 4-4 for the Seattle expansion draft to protect the defensemen, if Brodin is extended and no one is traded(barring Greenway/Kunin/Donato pulling career years like Nino/Zucker/Coyle did last time this does seem like an option).

Yeah, Rask doesn't make sense to buy-out given the Wild likely have no use for his cap-space and the way he's played this year is perfectly acceptable from a 13th forward. Dubnyk seems like an obvious one, contract never did come back to bite us like I thought it would but can't say I'm surprised Kuemper has become the better goalie during it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
$2.7m of dead money, what are we using the $1.6m we gain from buying him out on?

The cheap part is the following year when his contract would've been off the books, it's only an ~$800k hit.

The $1.6M could be the difference between having to bridge a guy like Kunin, or maybe getting him at a slightly higher number but on a longer term deal, which could end up being very beneficial.

I'd get Dubnyk out of here, but keep Rask around.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Assuming the cap increases to somewhere around $83M, we're going to have $17M to re-sign Greenway, Kunin, Soucy, and maybe Galchenyuk.

We shouldn't push any dead cap to the season after that when we have all the following guys contracts expiring: Fiala, Brodin, Ek, Donato, Staal, Foligno, Hartman, Dubnyk, Pateryn, Mayhew, and Hunt. Kaprizov will also be due his extension if we somehow burn a year this year.

Obviously we're not re-signing all of those guys, but if we're looking at signing FA centers or goalies during that time, we're going to want all our cap available for that offseason, not this upcoming one.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We have no need to buyout Dubnyk or Rask this offseason. We aren't anywhere near being cash-strapped.
You want to go into next season with Dubnyk and Stalock again?

It's not about the cash. It's about getting better goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad