Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'd definitely pump the brakes on trading any defensemen before the deadline. To some extent Guerin's first major trade was teed up for him: dealing with his old boss on a player that the Penguins were after when Guerin was still "in the room." And with Guentzel out and Zucker having term on his deal he had time on his side to boot. He played it correctly, but he had the wind at his back here.

Moving Brodin or Dumba will not only be harder to do well, it'll be much more important to not **** up.

I wouldn't see any harm in moving Pateryn for a draft pick and replacing him with Mennel.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I wouldn't see any harm in moving Pateryn for a draft pick and replacing him with Mennel.
Fair, and I probably should've been more specific than just "defensemen." Moving Pateryn now or this summer would make a ton of sense, even if it requires a little retention.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd definitely pump the brakes on trading any defensemen before the deadline. To some extent Guerin's first major trade was teed up for him: dealing with his old boss on a player that the Penguins were after when Guerin was still "in the room." And with Guentzel out and Zucker having term on his deal he had time on his side to boot. He played it correctly, but he had the wind at his back here.

Moving Brodin or Dumba will not only be harder to do well, it'll be much more important to not **** up.
How much would Brodin cost?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Rangers. Looking for a proper partner for Trouba. Brady Skjei is pretty good but stylistically it’s not a fit.

I don’t see a whole lot to love about your prospect pool from our perspective that you could add to a first. I also don’t see you trading your first.

I would want to build something around Chytil or I’d look elsewhere. Not the best fit for a deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How much would Brodin cost?
It's hard to say. There have been reports of multiple teams (Toronto, Vegas, Carolina, Florida) asking, but no details on what Guerin's been telling them other than that the ask is "high." Reporters seem to have wildly divergent ideas of what "high" means, though.

I'd hope if either he or Dumba are traded it's as a play for a top-6 center of about the same age and quality. I'm not sure how the 1 year left on Brodin's contract affects our prospects there, though. Florida fans have been at least semi-receptive to something around Brodin and Trocheck, but I'm not sure how grounded that is.

Otherwise I think the Muzzin trade is a good baseline for a futures deal: a late 1st + some prospects. Brodin's younger and, in my opinion, better, so hopefully we'd be talking better prospects than Durzi and Grundstrom. I'd rather not see him traded for futures at all, but it's not impossible.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The Rangers. Looking for a proper partner for Trouba. Brady Skjei is pretty good but stylistically it’s not a fit.

Really, the Rangers and the Wild aren't good trading partners. Both need centers. Both need to keep their 1st round picks.

If I had to guess, I would say a 2021 1st + Chytil

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If the Wild need forward prospects it’s probably not a fit. We have a ton of defenders.

The Wild need a quality center prospect or two more than anything else....maybe a LHD as well.

Last edited:

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
Thoughts on Clayton Keller?

Having a lackluster year off the heels of a new contract. Plays center. I doubt AZ trades him but what do you think it'd take? Brodin (or) Dumba +?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thoughts on Clayton Keller?

Having a lackluster year off the heels of a new contract. Plays center. I doubt AZ trades him but what do you think it'd take? Brodin (or) Dumba +?
I don't think Keller's played center for a while now. I'm not sure that he's ever played it in the NHL.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Keller is a left winger 100% through and through

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It just seems odd to me that Koivu wouldn't at least consider the possibility of allowing Guerin to trade him to a contending team. I get the family thing, but it's only for a few months, and it would be for sure his last chance to win a Cup. There's no shame in that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I still don't know what to make of all the Dumba and Brodin banter, because it's been all over the place, but Friedman's piled on.
8. Guerin told the Star-Tribune’s Sarah McLellan, “If there is quit, there will be more trades,” but the Wild told him not to worry with a 4–0 shutout of Vegas. What he’s hoping for is the the Ryan Donatos, Jordan Greenways and Luke Kunins take advantage of Jason Zucker’s move to Pittsburgh. (Left unsaid is that it also creates a 2020–21 opening for Kirill Kaprizov.)

“Don’t assume more is coming,” the GM said. “That’s not necessarily the case.”

Guerin wouldn’t discuss specifics, but, according to industry buzz, the most asked-about player on his roster is Jonas Brodin, followed by Mathew Dumba. (I’d bet there’s a bit for Marcus Foligno, too.) I don’t get the sense he’s inclined to do anything with either, unless it involves an elite centre, or maybe a No. 2 centre, providing that includes something extra — like a couple of first-rounders or something along those lines.

Whatever the case, Guerin could have made several moves already, but showed patience. The biggest beneficiary may be the Wild itself, because it would have been easy to give up on Kevin Fiala, now on a tear.

“Big difference,” Guerin said. “He’s driven.”

I wouldn't expect either defenseman to be traded for that much, but if it's an indication of where his head is at regarding those two... I'm not disappointed. Neither is a player to treat lightly.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Sure would be interesting to know what they think of this season Dumba is having......fluke and finally turning it around or nervous about what his upside really is post-injury?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I still don't know what to make of all the Dumba and Brodin banter, because it's been all over the place, but Friedman's piled on.

I wouldn't expect either defenseman to be traded for that much, but if it's an indication of where his head is at regarding those two... I'm not disappointed. Neither is a player to treat lightly.

Basically what we've all been saying. They aren't being shopped, but people are calling, and the "elite center or #2C with 1st round picks" are his Godfather offers.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

I do respect Guerin standing pat until he gets his deal. If he’s just blowing smile and moves Brodin’s for Suzuki + 2nd, I’ll have less confidence in him going forward

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I do respect Guerin standing pat until he gets his deal. If he’s just blowing smile and moves Brodin’s for Suzuki + 2nd, I’ll have less confidence in him going forward

If we're talking about Nick Suzuki, I'd make that deal.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Dumba has been playing solidly, which is pretty exciting, in a non exciting way. His shot is not the same as it has been in the past. Hopefully he gets it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad