Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Pittsburgh game, the change was made in the 2nd half of the 3rd period, they played better, carried the change into the Tampa game next, we all saw the game result. They stuck with the change ever since.

So the "Zucker wasn't getting it done for a while" in actuality was "Zucker wasn't getting it done for less than 2 games after he came back from being injured for over a month".

Reactions: AKL

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Definitely worth waiting for the right deal, I just don't think the right deal is as much coming back as some mentioned earlier in the thread.

I think a mid 1st is approaching the right deal. Zucker isn't going to return a top 6 center +a first like was suggested. He's not an elite player.
No, he's not. A 1st and a prospect that none of us are excited about should probably be the expectation.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So the "Zucker wasn't getting it done for a while" in actuality was "Zucker wasn't getting it done for less than 2 games after he came back from being injured for over a month".
I didn't remember how long vs when he came back, I just know it happened, the change was made for a good reason at the time, and it was effective when it was made. That's all I was pointing out.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Boudreau is weird about the changes he implements, the things he’ll try, the things he won’t try, the things he has patience with, and the things he doesn’t have patience with.

As far back as I can remember, his line juggling and adjustments have always been something people have been critical of him for. Even before he came here.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
No, he's not. A 1st and a prospect that none of us are excited about should probably be the expectation.

Which, frankly, is why I don’t see the need for patience if that offer is on the table already.

EDIT: Of course the idea that we shouldn’t move him at the deadline if we’re in the playoff race is valid, but I also don’t consider us in the playoff race, even if mathematically it’s still possible.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Boudreau is weird about the changes he implements, the things he’ll try, the things he won’t try, the things he has patience with, and the things he doesn’t have patience with.

As far back as I can remember, his line juggling and adjustments have always been something people have been critical of him for. Even before he came here.
Good coaches all mix and mingle lines.

Jacques Lemaire was one of the all time best coaches, yet his line mixing and mingling puts Bruce to shame! Bruce is a portrait of line stability by comparison!

People used to complain about his line mixing too. I'll trust the coaches over the fans in these two cases.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Good coaches all mix and mingle lines.

Jacques Lemaire was one of the all time best coaches, yet his line mixing and mingling puts Bruce to shame! Bruce is a portrait of line stability by comparison!

People used to complain about his line mixing too. I'll trust the coaches over the fans in these two cases.

Of course good coaches should juggle lines sometimes, but what I’m specifically thinking about is the fact that through all the line mixing, he’s never split up Staal/Zuccarello or Ek/Kunin, even when it hasn’t been working.

Further:

Tried Ek for only a very limited time on an offensive line
Donato has only ever been tried where it’s obvious he doesn’t work
Parise is continually the guy to move up the lineup despite getting outperformed at even strength
Kunin has only ever been on the third line and with very little PP

To name a few. It’s the changes that he hasn’t made or the combos he hasn’t tried that perplex me more than what he has. Given how bad this team has been for most of the season and how low the chances of us going anywhere this year are, I would like to see some more of these opportunities explored.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Of course good coaches should juggle lines sometimes, but what I’m specifically thinking about is the fact that through all the line mixing, he’s never split up Staal/Zuccarello or Ek/Kunin, even when it hasn’t been working.

Further:

Tried Ek for only a very limited time on an offensive line
Donato has only ever been tried where it’s obvious he doesn’t work
Parise is continually the guy to move up the lineup despite getting outperformed at even strength
Kunin has only ever been on the third line and with very little PP

To name a few. It’s the changes that he hasn’t made or the combos he hasn’t tried that perplex me more than what he has. Given how bad this team has been for most of the season and how low the chances of us going anywhere this year are, I would like to see some more of these opportunities explored.
I get what you're saying... but like I said, you should go back and look at the mixing Lemaire did! He wouldn't let lines play a single game together! The first stable line we saw, came in line year 7 or 8 after getting Demitra, playing him at center with Gaborik and Radavoiavic.

Wild fans would complain, asking how anyone could ever play well not knowing who their line mates would be from one shift to the next.

You'd always see the most unlikely people as linemates.

Fans don't always know best. Coaches see these players day in and day out in practice. They talk sith these guys daily... they tend to know who fits better with whom as a result. It may not be so obvious to fans as to why.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Good news for @AKL. Kunin & Eriksson Ek are no longer a duo.
Kunin will now center the 2nd line (practice today).

But don't mess with the Staal/Zuccarello bromance.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I don’t hate Eriksson Ek and Kunin together. I think they’re actually quite effective. Would love to see Fiala on the left wing and have that line be used more offensively, with Koivu picking up the defensive slack.

Was just mentioning it because it’s one of the duos he refused to break up (until now), while other combos only got a game or two to show what they could do together.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

That's what I'm talking about. This guy is more than a bottom 6 grinder.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
anyone see this today?

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-february-3-2020/

"The Athletic’s Michael Russo writes is speculating that something big could be coming out of the Minnesota Wild organization. After an embarrassing 4-0 shutout loss to the Boston Bruins on Saturday, the entire Minnesota front office is in town, including advisor Jack Ferreira.

GM Bill Guerin was not happy after the loss and has yet to really make his mark as a manager of the club. Russo writes:
So Guerin could decide that it’s smarter to wait ’til the summertime when he’d have the opportunity to essentially negotiate with 30 teams who have a better understanding of their cap and roster constraints as opposed to a dozen or so playoff contenders now who don’t want to necessarily delete from their rosters.
But horrible performances like Saturday certainly make it an easier decision for Guerin to finally say enough is enough and begin to put his own stamp on this team.
source – ‘Russo: Absolute debacle vs. Bruins makes it clear — the Wild need changes’ – Michael Russo – 02/01/2020 "​
Sounds like someone is speculating based off of russo’s speculation.

Foligno for a 2nd
Pateryn for a 3rd/4th
Donato for a 3rd/4th

Adding that to our own high 1st, high 2nd and high 4th is plenty of additional draft capital, plus nearly $7 million in newly opened cap space.

I'd much rather do that than Zucker for a 1st (right now).
I fear for what might happen if we open up that much cap space

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You and I appear to have way different expectations for signing a guy coming off of a season of 2.85 GAA and .900 Save%.

Yeah I’m sure the guys agent is going to be eager to negotiate his contract based on one year of .900 as opposed to the four years of .917 and two Stanley Cups prior.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah I’m sure the guys agent is going to be eager to negotiate his contract based on one year of .900 as opposed to the four years of .917 and two Stanley Cups prior.

Just like I'm sure Staal's agent wasn't all that eager to negotiate his contract based off of one year of .47 points-per-game instead of the four years of .83 points-per-game prior, back in 2016.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just like I'm sure Staal's agent wasn't all that eager to negotiate his contract based off of one year of .47 points-per-game instead of the four years of .83 points-per-game prior, back in 2016.

I can’t even begin to express how much Staal is not a valid comparison here.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I know people seem to talk about staal as trade piece but what about koivu ?

I think he might be willing to come play for the only fin gm and you can't ask that much for him ?

definitly no 1st/key player or anything crazy idk does he have value to you ?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I know people seem to talk about staal as trade piece but what about koivu ?

I think he might be willing to come play for the only fin gm and you can't ask that much for him ?

definitly no 1st/key player or anything crazy idk does he have value to you ?

He has a full NMC and by all accounts probably won’t even be approached by Guerin about waiving it. On top of that, his value has plummeted and it’s probably not even worth trading him at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad