Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I assume the Leipold thing was this guy misinterpreting the part about Carolina being on Zucker's list. The phrasing was weird but you could tell what he was actually getting at. Subtly misreporting audio clips seems to be his schtick.

I doubt Arizona's going to offer anything appealing, but regardless of who the dance partner ends up being I'm fully prepared for the trade equivalent of room temperature tofu.
I would like to look at a player that could be a serviceable 2C next year. A guy that would be a little bit of a gamble maybe. Any picks or prospect will be gambles as well, but at least this gamble could payoff in the short run.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Really fresh Tofu can be awesome...but it's hard to find. I don't see Zucker fetching a 2C we would be happy with...he would be a nominal 2C, but with warts. At this point I'm fine with having Kunin, Sturm, and JEE be C's, maybe even give Anas a look. Mayhew can play RW if needed.

I would consider trading Staal, but only for a 1st +.
One of Zucker/Donato can go, even both.
Pateryn/Hunt can go.
Rask...well, he's always been a problem, hasn't he?
The way Koivu is playing he might have to retire this summer. If he does come back, he should only be on a one year, sub 2M(with incentives) salary. It's possible that a healthy summer will rejuvenate him, and he will be an asset as a bottom six C next year.
Only bring up KK if he is ready, not because our goalies suck. Don't rush him.

I've already listed 5 guys. That's a lot! Highly doubt that BG can get all that done. I sure hope that he doesn't trade Dumba/Brodin unless he gets a killer deal.

I don't see trading Greenway, JEE, or Kunin...not because they are great, but they are useful, cheap, have upside, and a little grit to their game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazeek

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would like to look at a player that could be a serviceable 2C next year. A guy that would be a little bit of a gamble maybe. Any picks or prospect will be gambles as well, but at least this gamble could payoff in the short run.
I've been against it and still kind of am, but: isn't Kunin kind of looking like that guy right now? I admit that I didn't see most of the game tonight, but he's been doing better than I expected.

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I've been against it and still kind of am, but: isn't Kunin kind of looking like that guy right now? I admit that I didn't see most of the game tonight, but he's been doing better than I expected.
In the 2/3 games I think he’s been fine. His line was awful tonight, but not solely his fault. I do just think he’s better as a RW. And I think if you can move Zucker for Gaudette, that Gaudette might give you a 50 point season down the middle. We’d still have to move out more guys, though. Another thought is if you can sign a middle-six C this summer that you could move Zucker for pure futures.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In the 2/3 games I think he’s been fine. His line was awful tonight, but not solely his fault. I do just think he’s better as a RW. And I think if you can move Zucker for Gaudette, that Gaudette might give you a 50 point season down the middle. We’d still have to move out more guys, though. Another thought is if you can sign a middle-six C this summer that you could move Zucker for pure futures.
Kunin played well... had a beast of a shift that almost resulted in a goal in the 3rd, but his wingers in particular were terrible... first period and a half, Donato was an empty sweater on his line. Zucker was just a marginal improvement. Zuccarello was making poor decisions with the puck all game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see Kunin having much upside as a C. Best he can be is serviceable. I also don't want to trade for a mediocre middle six C. I'd rather get a pick or prospect that MIGHT be a HR in the future, a la Khovanov. JEE, and maybe Sturm, has the meat and potatoes C positions handled in the future, I think.

KKK, Boldy, and Beckman are all LW'ers, coming as soon as next year. We need to get rid of some excess.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I don't see Kunin having much upside as a C. Best he can be is serviceable. I also don't want to trade for a mediocre middle six C. I'd rather get a pick or prospect that MIGHT be a HR in the future, a la Khovanov. JEE, and maybe Sturm, has the meat and potatoes C positions handled in the future, I think.

KKK, Boldy, and Beckman are all LW'ers, coming as soon as next year. We need to get rid of some excess.
Kap plays more right wing than left, but has said he'll play whichever side he's asked, makes no difference to him. Fiala has been on record saying he's more comfortable on the left...I look at moving a left wing as allowing Fiala to go where he's most comfortable and Kap can replace Fiala on the right.

Either way, your point still remains, need to clear left wing space.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I do like Gaudette.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With the Arizona rumor, I wonder if the two teams might consider a Schmaltz for Zucker trade. Dvorak isn't going anywhere. Hayton should be coming back soon and I don't really know how they'll handle that, but in theory that would give them Dvo-Schmaltz-Hayton-Stepan-Soderberg-Richardson as guys who can play down the middle. I wonder if something around Schmaltz and Zucker would be discussed. That would at the bare minimum give us our servicable 2C. He's 24 and he's roughly a 55 point player. Signed for 6 more years at 5.85M.

I don't think Arizona should or probably would do it unless we're adding something fairly decent, but if talks with Hall aren't going anywhere and they're convinced Hayton can be a top 6 center next season, it might have at least a tiny bit of credibility. Though, it seems more like a summer deal.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm also very intrigued by the idea that Russo thinks Foligno could wear the C next season. I know he's a heart and soul guy, but it seems odd. He has one year left, and I don't see that he's the type of guy you necessarily keep around at age 30.

I always assumed Suter would get the C when Koivu retired. I also wouldn't hate to see Dumba or Ek get a letter. I think Dumba specifically would be a good C.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With the Arizona rumor, I wonder if the two teams might consider a Schmaltz for Zucker trade. Dvorak isn't going anywhere. Hayton should be coming back soon and I don't really know how they'll handle that, but in theory that would give them Dvo-Schmaltz-Hayton-Stepan-Soderberg-Richardson as guys who can play down the middle. I wonder if something around Schmaltz and Zucker would be discussed. That would at the bare minimum give us our servicable 2C. He's 24 and he's roughly a 55 point player. Signed for 6 more years at 5.85M.

I don't think Arizona should or probably would do it unless we're adding something fairly decent, but if talks with Hall aren't going anywhere and they're convinced Hayton can be a top 6 center next season, it might have at least a tiny bit of credibility. Though, it seems more like a summer deal.

What would y'all be comfortable with adding to Zucker to get Schmaltz? How far would you go if that deal was on the table but Arizona wanted more?

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
What would y'all be comfortable with adding to Zucker to get Schmaltz? How far would you go if that deal was on the table but Arizona wanted more?
I’d add a lot. I just don’t know what we have to add that would be intriguing to ARI that wouldn’t be too big of an add.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d add a lot. I just don’t know what we have to add that would be intriguing to ARI that wouldn’t be too big of an add.

Yeah I probably wouldn’t add a 1st, Khovanov, Boldy, Firstov, Beckman or Kaprizov, and that’s probably where the conversation ends. Though I’m not as firm on Beckman or Firstov as the other three.

I would happily add a 2nd, Donato, Sturm, Greenway, Foligno, or any prospect not listed above. I’d also do something like Zucker+Donato/Greenway/Sturm+2nd for Schmaltz, but I don’t know why Arizona would take on more wingers that aren’t clear upgrades over what they have. Kind of in the same situation as us in that sense.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Soderberg is 34 and expires after this season. Stepan is about to turn 30, is slowing down mightily, and expires after next season.

Schmaltz and Dvorak are both young and on great LT deals so they have time to wait and see what Hayton is before having to do anything.

I'm not sure what we'd have to add to get them to turn a 23 year old center with 6 years remaining into a 28 year old winger with 3 years remaining, but I'm guessing I would not like it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bazeek and AKL

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm also very intrigued by the idea that Russo thinks Foligno could wear the C next season. I know he's a heart and soul guy, but it seems odd. He has one year left, and I don't see that he's the type of guy you necessarily keep around at age 30.

I always assumed Suter would get the C when Koivu retired. I also wouldn't hate to see Dumba or Ek get a letter. I think Dumba specifically would be a good C.

I think Kunin would make a good captain as well. Not sure if he is ready just yet, but I can easily envision him wearing the C on his shoulder some day.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I think Kunin would make a good captain as well. Not sure if he is ready just yet, but I can easily envision him wearing the C on his shoulder some day.

I agree as far as captain material goes that he should be heavily thought about for that role. Last night he was around every scrum and standing up for guys at times he didn't need to. The one time everyone else had a guy so he had to settle for holding collars with Zadorov and that was somewhat comical. I do think he plays with that spirit and passion of a defiant leader, it is a matter of time before his scoring finds its way back.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
It bugs me that this team needs comments like this from the GM to start playing good hockey.

Jason Zucker on trade rumors as Wild fall to Avs: 'Whatever...
It’s believed first-year GM Bill Guerin addressed the team before late January’s All-Star break and bye and candidly told players to get their act together, or there would be significant changes this month.
This team needs big changes regardless because of that fact IMO.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can’t see how the changes we need are going to be brought about through trades. We don’t have Fenton to swindle any more GMs anymore.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can’t see how the changes we need are going to be brought about through trades. We don’t have Fenton to swindle any more GMs anymore.
I know you're joking, but trades need to happen, good drafting needs to happen, need to shakeup player leadership... unfortunately, we are stuck on some of the player leadership. They're too comfortable for the most part. Parise goes like an energy bug all the time... and that's fine, but Staal sure doesn't. He can look bad for long stretches, then decide to wake up and try for a little while. The game comes to easy for him and he plays an easy style game.

I think the same happens with Suter sometimes. Didn't have the killer instinct.

We have players that like to play, but don't all have that drive to play hard. To do what it takes to go that extra step.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I know you're joking, but trades need to happen, good drafting needs to happen, need to shakeup player leadership... unfortunately, we are stuck on some of the player leadership. They're too comfortable for the most part. Parise goes like an energy bug all the time... and that's fine, but Staal sure doesn't. He can look bad for long stretches, then decide to wake up and try for a little while. The game comes to easy for him and he plays an easy style game.

I think the same happens with Suter sometimes. Didn't have the killer instinct.

We have players that like to play, but don't all have that drive to play hard. To do what it takes to go that extra step.

I’m half joking about Fenton swindling Poile.
I’m not joking about solving problems through trades. I do agree we need to make trades, but Granlund for Fiala is something you can’t rely on happening with every trade. If you trade guys like Zucker, Brodin, other pieces we have, you’re not going to get what we need in return unless you get a draft pick and draft that player by chance, which is very unlikely.

So yeah, trades need to happen, good drafting needs to happen, but unless we get ridiculously lucky, we’re not likely to get what we need with this trajectory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad