Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Too many variables in play to safely conclude that playing center is what held him back, and the move to wing is what allowed him to take off. Not to mention this completely disregards the eye test,

I saw a player that looked much better on the wing at WJC. Although he only played the one game at center. I think his ability playing on the wing and winning puck battles is very evident. He has the vision and passing skills to be a good centerman but he doesnt have the mobility or the first step to find open ice quickly and create separation with the puck on his stick. He spent a lot of the time watching the play and not anticipating well when I saw him playing center. Granted i have seen a very small sample size, so maybe it was an off game.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I may be on my own here but I feel trading any package that includes a Rossi or boldy for PLD and his close payday would be a step in the wrong direction for the future.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Don’t know how you could draw this conclusion. Even if you allow recency bias to sway you, there positional value in Rossi as well.

It's pretty simple. Boldy is playing like the player the Wild thought he would be. Rossi is disadvantaged because if his size. I don't care how creative he was in the OHL he still needs to win a few battles in the NHL. If we won any battles in those games with Austria I must have missed it.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
rumors WPG; MTL; BOS; CAR all interested in PLD so if you want him no chance hes a bargain.
WPG is the only legit threat cause they can actually pony up a quality asset is Laine.

MTL has what? Nothing really imo

BOS certainly doesn't have much to part with to stay competitive for the foreseeable future.

And apparently CBJ wants Necas AND Persce... from CAR. yeah good luck with that.

This will end the same as all the others. Its gonna be a mix of players and futures package that is underwhelming, or hes going to WPG in exchange for Laine.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I may be on my own here but I feel trading any package that includes a Rossi or boldy for PLD and his close payday would be a step in the wrong direction for the future.

I’d normally agree but Dubois is a legit 1C who isn’t going to command a crippling contract. If we can move out Rossi plus a cap filler I think you have to consider it.

Reactions: ctmagic

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It's pretty simple. Boldy is playing like the player the Wild thought he would be. Rossi is disadvantaged because if his size. I don't care how creative he was in the OHL he still needs to win a few battles in the NHL. If we won any battles in those games with Austria I must have missed it.
Are you saying Rossi didn’t win any board battles in the WJC?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Rossi's only negative was the team he played on. It was so clear to anyone who even paid the minimal amount of attention to Austria's games that he was consistently way better than anyone else.

Russia was the most notable matchup of every time Rossi had the puck they would attack him with two players. He'd zip it to a teammate and they'd turn the puck over trying to make routine passes or by skating themselves into a corner.

We'll get a very good glimpse into his ability during a scrimmage this weekend, I hope. Don't want to wait until the season starts to see some tape of him with Wild line mates.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t know that Rossi will get into these scrimmages. Sounds like they plan on easing him in slowly. This more or less supports the idea that we might hold onto him for a while and spot him games. Don’t love it, but I have a hard time believing they’re going to tell Bjuger to move down the lineup for a while so “we can see what this Kid’s got”. I don’t love it, but we’ll see how it plays out. Obviously, he’s in the top 6 group of camp for a reason, though.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I don’t know that Rossi will get into these scrimmages. Sounds like they plan on easing him in slowly. This more or less supports the idea that we might hold onto him for a while and spot him games. Don’t love it, but I have a hard time believing they’re going to tell Bjuger to move down the lineup for a while so “we can see what this Kid’s got”. I don’t love it, but we’ll see how it plays out. Obviously, he’s in the top 6 group of camp for a reason, though.
Well he's in quarantine and won't be out for the Friday scrimmage but hope is he may yet be available for Sunday.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

There are only like 22 forwards in camp. No harm having him play in scrimmage without practice.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Could you imagine Rossi being traded. He landed in the near perfect situation. Team that’s desperate for a top 6 center, living with your teen idol. Only to be traded to Columbus before the season starts. What a kick in the balls

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There are only like 22 forwards in camp. No harm having him play in scrimmage without practice.

I'm a little curious, because it's not like he hasn't played hockey in 9 months. Yeah it was just the WJC, and he's only played 5 games total lately, but he's almost certainly not out of shape right now, and it's just a training camp scrimmage, not like it's a playoff series we're tossing him into.

Having him sit out of the scrimmage because they want to ease him in makes sense in some ways, in the sense that he's never played with these guys in this system, but he's a smart guy, he'll figure it out. And if he can't figure it out right away, again, it's just a training camp scrimmage that he'll look out of sorts in, not an actual game.

Could you imagine Rossi being traded. He landed in the near perfect situation. Team that’s desperate for a top 6 center, living with your teen idol. Only to be traded to Columbus before the season starts. What a kick in the balls

To me, there's no chance he'd be traded in the Dubois package, if the Wild somehow landed it. The idea is to increase top 6 center depth, not settle for just one. I could see Boldy maybe being included, but Rossi, Kaprizov and certainly Fiala are 100% not going anywhere.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
To me, there's no chance he'd be traded in the Dubois package, if the Wild somehow landed it. The idea is to increase top 6 center depth, not settle for just one. I could see Boldy maybe being included, but Rossi, Kaprizov and certainly Fiala are 100% not going anywhere.

I could get my head around it if there wasn't a lot going along with him. The idea would be to accelerate the process a little bit and bring an extremely important piece (#1C) up closer to the Kaprizov/Fiala age group, instead of waiting 2-3 years for Rossi to reach the beginning of his good years. This would coincide with the next 2-3 of Suter's remaining good years, Spurgeon's early 30's, whatever Zuccarello and Parise can still give us, Brodin's prime, and obviously Fiala's and Kaprizov's prime years.

The risks, of course, are a) Dubois doesn't want to be here either, and/or b) Rossi turning out to be a much better player than Dubois ever is.

Reactions: 2Pair

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I could get my head around it if there wasn't a lot going along with him. The idea would be to accelerate the process a little bit and bring an extremely important piece (#1C) up closer to the Kaprizov/Fiala age group, instead of waiting 2-3 years for Rossi to reach the beginning of his good years. This would coincide with the next 2-3 of Suter's remaining good years, Spurgeon's early 30's, whatever Zuccarello and Parise can still give us, Brodin's prime, and obviously Fiala's and Kaprizov's prime years.

The risks, of course, are a) Dubois doesn't want to be here either, and/or b) Rossi turning out to be a much better player than Dubois ever is.
The problem with accelerating the timeline, you lose the ELC time.

Good teams in the cap era have impact players on elcs.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I think if you truly want Dubois, you see if you can get it done with something around Fiala. Sure, that sort of defeats the purpose of finding a center to specifically play with Fiala/Kaprizov but center is ultimately still the biggest hole in this franchise and likely the most important position in the game. If you are convinced Dubois is the guy, I think it should be considered.

All in all, this team is still the deepest on the wings on the roster and what is coming through the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad