Trade Franzen?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I feel like Franzen gets way too much hate. Buying out our leading goalscorer the last two years is an awful idea.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
People should really cool down with those buyout-ideas for players still doing good. Those are least probable things that will happen.

Trade is absolutely possible. But not for Victor Hedman like that article "rumoured". Yzerman isn't that stupid. :D

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No they shouldn't think about this unless he is asked for in a package for Bobby Ryan or something along those lines. All for a good hockey trade but this running around afraid of the contract and some of the hate he is receiving especially this year where he has been quite good is ridiculous. We have some problems, Franzen isn't one of them and really far down the list if you even want to call him one.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
wow..me looking at the redwings from the outside I cant believe how low you guys value Franzen and Cleary..maybe cleary is overrated around the league but Franzen to me is worth more than what I proposed...I only proposed that after I read how you guys would like him bought out...
Every team in the league would love to have the mule on their powerplay..

I wouldnt mind switching Belanger for horcoff in that deal..Belangers a great penalty killer and awesome on faceoffs..otherwise doesnt bring much..but hes a much cheaper cap hit than horcoff and provides pretty much the same services..

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Franzen is still a great player for his caphit. Also, if he is dealt it would probably be for a lesser player as most GMs would not pay a very high price for a non elite 33 year old wingers, even ones that are proven goalscorers.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
wow..me looking at the redwings from the outside I cant believe how low you guys value Franzen and Cleary..maybe cleary is overrated around the league but Franzen to me is worth more than what I proposed

Yeah, we probably are a little more critical than necessary regarding Mule, considering he's a decent goal scorer.

But, believe me when I tell you this- no matter how much it appears to you from the outside we are underrating Cleary, the truth is that we are still overrating his performance. He's been that bad.

Seriously, if the Oil offered ANY low draft pick or terrible prospect for Cleary straight up, Kenny should take that deal and run with it like he stole it.

we like our team*

i don't want to trade franzen

i'm curious how long he can live off the "playoff beast" reputation with fans though

Heinz84

Aug 4, 2012
Germany / London(UK)
Trading Franzen would be are very stupid move by Holland. Yeah, his inconsitency is really frustrating to watch and he hasnt played up to his potential for years.

But even the way he plays now, he will still score 25-30 goals. And at 3,9mio cap hit, he comes very cheap. There is no way the Red Wings are going to replace his offense with this amount of money.

Apart from that I think he has been playing well so far this season.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Trading Franzen would be are very stupid move by Holland. Yeah, his inconsitency is really frustrating to watch and he hasnt played up to his potential for years.

But even the way he plays now, he will still score 25-30 goals. And at 3,9mio cap hit, he comes very cheap. There is no way the Red Wings are going to replace his offense with this amount of money.

Apart from that I think he has been playing well so far this season.

You know, I'm really curious to see how he would perform on a lower line, and whether or not his production is a byproduct of his line-mates.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
wow..me looking at the redwings from the outside I cant believe how low you guys value Franzen and Cleary..maybe cleary is overrated around the league but Franzen to me is worth more than what I proposed...I only proposed that after I read how you guys would like him bought out...
Every team in the league would love to have the mule on their powerplay..

I wouldnt mind switching Belanger for horcoff in that deal..Belangers a great penalty killer and awesome on faceoffs..otherwise doesnt bring much..but hes a much cheaper cap hit than horcoff and provides pretty much the same services..

Have you watched more than just highlights of Franzen, or looked at more than just his stats sheet?

Anyone that actually watches most of his games has complaints about his compete level. He's also the smallest big man I've ever watched play. One of the easiest guys to knock down on the team.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
There arent enough smilies on this site to properly address the hilarity in that article.

Hedman is on the short Norris list this year. Offering Datsyuk+ wouldnt get Hedman out of TB.

Bleacher Report is basically like fans of HFBoards writing articles.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Franzer gets a lot of hate because he floats and is utterly useless for a lot of games. He doesn't try. Its like he will get a hat trick against Ottawa and then not score for the next 13 games. I don't see why keeping him is such a great idea. He's 33 and just floats with an oversized contract. I don't understand why not trading him for a young player is such a bad idea. The strategy employed by Ken Holland which is do nothing and re-sign everyone has basically led us to being bounced in the first rd for the last couple of seasons and possibly missing the playoffs altogether in 2013. We need to make some trades. We are a garbage team right now with no defense and the 3rd and 4th line filled with AHL garbage.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Franzer gets a lot of hate because he floats and is utterly useless for a lot of games. He doesn't try. Its like he will get a hat trick against Ottawa and then not score for the next 13 games. I don't see why keeping him is such a great idea. He's 33 and just floats with an oversized contract. I don't understand why not trading him for a young player is such a bad idea. The strategy employed by Ken Holland which is do nothing and re-sign everyone has basically led us to being bounced in the first rd for the last couple of seasons and possibly missing the playoffs altogether in 2013. We need to make some trades. We are a garbage team right now with no defense and the 3rd and 4th line filled with AHL garbage.

You have no idea what level of effort someone is giving by watching a game on TV.

What we do know is that the "utterly useless floater with the oversized contract" has led our team in scoring for the past 2 seasons, and was performing just fine this year too before missing a couple games to injury.

Show me a sub 4 million a year player that puts up pts in every game? streakiness is common among all good scorers in the NHL and Franzen is one of the best bang for your buck players in the league. He may not be in a few years but for right now we're a better team with him on it than with him playing against us.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
You have no idea what level of effort someone is giving by watching a game on TV.

What we do know is that the "utterly useless floater with the oversized contract" has led our team in scoring for the past 2 seasons, and was performing just fine this year too before missing a couple games to injury.

Show me a sub 4 million a year player that puts up pts in every game? streakiness is common among all good scorers in the NHL and Franzen is one of the best bang for your buck players in the league. He may not be in a few years but for right now we're a better team with him on it than with him playing against us.

Didnt Babcock demote Franzen twice last year? Once during the regular season and definitely during the Preds series. Kind of odd considering Franzen saves it all for the playoffs.

The guy has not been himself since 08-09. More people would hate him, but the Sharks series where he scored five goals in one game inflated his stats so he looked like he was productive.

The guy is either useful or not useful. Lately, we have been seeing too much of "not useful" Franzen.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site

It was enough of a non-effort to be demoted to the third line and enough of a non-effort to look absolutely PATHETIC in the last 2 playoffs. Franzen has turned into a big floater. Trade him now that people think he has value because in less than 12 months, he's going to be 34. We aren't going to win the cup this year, might as well get assets.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

I think what is maddening about Franzen for many of us is the night and day difference you see hin his game at times.

Good Franzen: seeing him come out on a few shifts, periods or if we're really lucky, games, in a row and be assertive on offense by driving the net, throwing his weight around, and shooting the damn puck whenever he gets a chance.

But good Franzen is followed up by Bad Franzen, where he pulls a disappearing act for games at a time where you don't even notice him in the game other than turning it over on soft plays. He doesn't drive the net, go to the hard areas, or use his sizable frame at all.

No argument that his production compared to his cap hit is great, but IMO he just checks out during the season for stretches of games at a time. It's not like he's the only pro athlete who seemingly has a tough time being fully engaged for a long season. I'm open to explanations on what's happening during the bad times for him.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Red Wings fans seem to be pretty susceptible to the "grass is always greener" phenomenon.

Red Wings fans expect their team to win or at least contend. It is painful to see a team with so much skill not play 60 minutes of hockey in hockey games. That being said we aren't that deep into the season may be a little early to be putting the Mule on the trading block.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Is it possible that players like Franzen/Bertuzzi look relatively slow due to their size?

I mean alot of larger players are slow (yes some are fast,but those are usually first line guys).

Franzen has a great shot, sometimes he makes some nice setups, he should shoot more though.

Brunner has been more consistent than Franzen, but Brunner also makes horrible defensive plays that Franzen does not. I do not think alot of fans here realize how good Franzen is defensively due to his safe plays and relatively few giveaways.

Brunner is learning, I think we have a great player (for not having to had to draft him)
Franzen is worth keeping. It would be interesting to find other 4Mil cap hit players we would prefer to have OVER Franzen, and then analyze THEIR streakyness, or check out their teams boards and ask them how well they like said player.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I feel like Franzen gets way too much hate. Buying out our leading goalscorer the last two years is an awful idea.

I thought he was hustling a lot more this year before he got hurt. I'm not one who wants to move him. We've got too many other glaring weaknesses to worry about Mule. He is what he is. He can score and we need goals.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad