Trade Franzen?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
DRW will not get a young star defenseman for him, I think. Perhaps a young promising defenseman.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Now would be the opportunity to trade the mule. Has 9 points in his 12 games played with a decent contract. How about we trade for a young star defenseman?

Id rather just buy him out. No one wants that contract on the books. Not getting a young star for Franzen anyways.

RedWingsNow*

Even though Franzen is a bargain at his cap hit, I don't think many teams around the league view that as a good contract
I'd say he has very little trade value

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Trading him would be a good idea but I doubt anyone will take him with that contract. Buying him out is the next best option. Holland really screwed up with that contract.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yes, you absolutely try to get someone to take that contract off your hands. Judging by the way Buffalo rolls they may be willing to acquire Mule. My guess is no one wants that contract so we'll use an amnesty buy out on Franzen.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
INB4 Hossa debate.

On topic, I'd rather keep him. We won't find someone who can replicate his production for that cap hit. If we need to get rid of him because of contract just buy him out.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Trading him would be a good idea but I doubt anyone will take him with that contract. Buying him out is the next best option. Holland really screwed up with that contract.

Until Franzen starts blowing, he hasn't screwed up. But I'm sure we'll revisit this in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
By now, you mean when he's on IR with a hip injury?

Hmm...yeah, something tells me his trade value isn't exactly peaking at the moment...

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Until Franzen starts blowing, he hasn't screwed up. But I'm sure we'll revisit this in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Franzen is currently a great player for that cap hit. We should be stronger for the next 3-4 years due to this contract. The last few years if he declines a lot, then his cap hit will be higher than his salary.

I would prefer to keep Franzen.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

You forgot about 2019. We got nothing but time when it comes to his contract :D

At least by 2017 (dear God, that seems a LONG way off in the future!), his actual salary is much less than his cap hit, so we can root for a team needing to take on cap hits to reach the floor to want him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The guy has not strung together any consistent strong performances, either regular season or playoffs, for at least two years now.

If I could get rid of him I would.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
We are not getting a young star defense for him.
We would be lucky if someone takes his contract without dumping a contract just as bad.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Even though Franzen is a bargain at his cap hit, I don't think many teams around the league view that as a good contract
I'd say he has very little trade value

Even if had 4 years left on a 3.9m cap hit, no one is trading a young 'star' defensemen for him. No teams are bursting at the seams to unload those types of players for 30+ year old wingers.

I find it interesting that some pundits believe that guys like Alfredsson and Iginla will garner a massive return. I think like Hossa they'll get a decent return but nothing great and Hossa had a lot more value at his time of the deal. Basically, Franzen has more value to the Wings than he does in any trade and theres a ton more players in the same situation.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Agreed with the people saying he'd be bought out because not many teams would be willing to take that contract, even if it is currently a bargain.

I also agree with the people saying there's no way the Wings could get a young, star defensemen for Franzen -- unless, of course, it's part of a bundle.

So yeah, I have nothing new to add.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
I propose S.Horcoff and Martin Gernat and a 2nd round pick for J.Franzen..
Horcoffs contract comes off the books at the end of next season, Gernat is a young promising puck moving defenceman...
Franzen brings size and grit to a small, soft and young oilers team in desperate need of size and grit in their top six..

If wings dont like Gernat..one or two of Musil, Fedun, Dillon Simpson or M. Marincin could be traded instead.

Ryan Whitney could be used as a throw in if Wings are interested...Omark could be had for a 5th round pick...he had good Chemistry with Brunnstrom and Zetterberg in Zug.

What ya guys think? Or am I totally biased here?

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
By the way, Im leading my hockeypool and recently traded away Jagr for Franzen..as soon as I made the trade Franzen got injured..I can only make one more trade this season..
How long is Franzen out for? Any timetable on his return?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
He's skating so that's a good sign, but he said he'll miss today's game, and tuesday's vs Nashville for sure.

I expect him to be back on the 23rd vs Columbus or on the 24th vs Vancouver

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I propose S.Horcoff and Martin Gernat and a 2nd round pick for J.Franzen..
Horcoffs contract comes off the books at the end of next season, Gernat is a young promising puck moving defenceman...
Franzen brings size and grit to a small, soft and young oilers team in desperate need of size and grit in their top six..

If wings dont like Gernat..one or two of Musil, Fedun, Dillon Simpson or M. Marincin could be traded instead.

Ryan Whitney could be used as a throw in if Wings are interested...Omark could be had for a 5th round pick...he had good Chemistry with Brunnstrom and Zetterberg in Zug.

What ya guys think? Or am I totally biased here?

There's three things wrong with that deal, IMO.

1. I don't know much about Gernat but from a quick google search, he's a longshot low-pairing defense prospect coming off major shoulder surgery. The prospect involved is less important, though...

2. ...because this proposal also includes Horcoff. Horcoff has a horrific contract, worse than Franzen's (albeit a lot shorter). The Wings can't go with a mid-to-late-30's, injury-prone, 30-point a year, $5.5 mil cap hit 3rd line center for the next two and a half seasons.

3. Most importantly, Horcoff and Cleary have a serious, long-term bromance and having Horcoff on the team increases the chances that they give Cleary another contract once his current one is mercifully over.

http://www.freep.com/article/201302...shawn-horcoff?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Point 1 is less important. Point 2 is more important. Point 3 is absolutely critical. They have got to get rid of Cleary at all costs. I was actually thinking the other day after reading about the Horcoff/Cleary thing, "hey, maybe we can dump off Cleary on the Oilers if he and Horcs are such good pals".

It's not the worst proposal in the world, but if the Wings are going to take back a terrible contract in a Franzen deal, they're going to need a much better prospect than the guys you mentioned. I like Petry and I'd love to pry Klefbom away but I doubt that's possible. Besides, from the looks of things the Oil are well-stocked at forward and need to sort out their D.

djdan6215

Feb 26, 2012
franzen

yes its time

3 options:
to buffalo :franzen and mursak to detroit :tyler myers and zemgus girgensons

to calgary :franzen and mursak to detroit :jay bouwmeester and greg nemisz

to edmonton franzen and mursak to detroit :ryan whitney and magnus paajarvi

Last edited:

Chevrier

Mar 4, 2011
Toronto
Absolutely not. A trade could be something considering the long run if we're going to take that path. It's waaaay too early to know what the future holds for us to consider trading Franzen just yet though. His cap hit is alright for his production, just short of under 4 mil. He has 9 points in 12 games and even though everybody would love to see him become a game in game out consistent force, that's never been realistic. If Franzen was overly consistent and created all his own chances he'd be an asbolute monster. He currently fits into our team, financially and playing wise, hold onto him.

Nobody's going to give fair value for Franzen given the length of his contract but I'm content with it for the time being. No need to jump any gun, he's got size and hands and chances are he's with us for the long haul.

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
sometimes i can only shake my head.

why buying out franzen and keep cleary, samuelsson, bertuzzi, quincey, kindl, abdelkader?
this 6 player should be unloaded before we get rid of franzen

franzen:
12 games, 9 points, +4

why, just why should we get rid of stats like that?

cleary:
14 games, 1 point, -4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad