Trade Franzen?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I think what is maddening about Franzen for many of us is the night and day difference you see hin his game at times.

Good Franzen: seeing him come out on a few shifts, periods or if we're really lucky, games, in a row and be assertive on offense by driving the net, throwing his weight around, and shooting the damn puck whenever he gets a chance.

But good Franzen is followed up by Bad Franzen, where he pulls a disappearing act for games at a time where you don't even notice him in the game other than turning it over on soft plays. He doesn't drive the net, go to the hard areas, or use his sizable frame at all.

No argument that his production compared to his cap hit is great, but IMO he just checks out during the season for stretches of games at a time. It's not like he's the only pro athlete who seemingly has a tough time being fully engaged for a long season. I'm open to explanations on what's happening during the bad times for him.

He had a bad playoffs last year and was rightfully demoted, but in fairness none of the forwards had a good playoff and he's not the type of player who is going to carry a team on his back.

This season he didn't go 2 games in a row without a point before injuring his hip. Even then he only went 3 games without one and was +2 over that span.

Until he went down with injury most of this board had been noting his improved play this year and you'd think our play since he's been out would be further proof of just how important he is to the team.

The only thing you'd get in return for him would be prospects or picks both of which will need to develop a long time to replace what he brings now.

Tonic

Jan 25, 2013
I think he needs to stay. I agree his production for his cap hit is great. He's one of the few big bodies we actually have. It's frustrating watching him at times, as I think he should be a 40 goal scorer playing on Pav's wing all year. I think a problem with him (and the Wings in general) is the constant line shuffling. It's hard to develop chemistry if you're always playing with different guys every week.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
franzen is not going anywhere

our best moveable asset is filppula and then he is a UFA so his value comes down a bit, unless of course we do the ole sign now and trade in a month or two

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
franzen is not going anywhere

our best moveable asset is filppula and then he is a UFA so his value comes down a bit, unless of course we do the ole sign now and trade in a month or two

I think our most moveable assets are all prospects. I wouldn't want to move most of them, but if we're making a trade they are what most teams would covet.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
He had a bad playoffs last year and was rightfully demoted, but in fairness none of the forwards had a good playoff and he's not the type of player who is going to carry a team on his back.

This season he didn't go 2 games in a row without a point before injuring his hip. Even then he only went 3 games without one and was +2 over that span.

Until he went down with injury most of this board had been noting his improved play this year and you'd think our play since he's been out would be further proof of just how important he is to the team.

The only thing you'd get in return for him would be prospects or picks both of which will need to develop a long time to replace what he brings now.

Yeah, I was also pleasantly surprised with his start to the season, as he just seemed more engaged in the majority of games he played in. I need to see that over a much longer stretch of games to change my opinion on him, but it was a start.

His age and contract term are tag team killers on his trade value. I'm fine with him sticking around, especially if Babs ends up going with 3 scoring lines (still not sure how that would work with Helm, but whatever). Ideally, we have young guys step in and become our goal scorers and/or KH acquires a physical power forward with hands :)crossfing), and we can bump Franzen down the lineup as he ages and his production drops off.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Would you do a Franzen for Weis swap? With everyone talking about buying out Franzen, why not send him in the Eastern conference and get back a good 2nd C with a 3.1M caphit .

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Would you do a Franzen for Weis swap? With everyone talking about buying out Franzen, why not send him in the Eastern conference and get back a good 2nd C with a 3.1M caphit .

I don't want to give up Franzen for him, due to goal scoring, but certainly not without Weiss signing an extension with us.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What is praise and love after Stephen Weiss? In my mind, he is just another "Filppula" to have in team. Pass-first guy, never shoots. Has had 1st line role for years and has not had any kind of impressive point-totals. Smallish, 5'11 center with not any interesting upside. Year older than Valtteri is.

If that would be anyhow possible, to get Chris Stewart off from the Blues for Franzen. That swap could give some playoff experience for the Blues for Cup run and a younger right handed power-forward for the Wings (that fits better age-vise to our prospect core). What is crazy, the Blues are kind of lacking left-handed wingers, so Mule would be a great fit to their young team.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
What is praise and love after Stephen Weiss? In my mind, he is just another "Filppula" to have in team. Pass-first guy, never shoots. Has had 1st line role for years and has not had any kind of impressive point-totals. Smallish, 5'11 center with not any interesting upside.

If you go on the trade board he's a superstar like Hossa or Kovy. I wouldn't mind having him. But only if we unloaded some garbage along with a decent prospect.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If you go on the trade board he's a superstar like Hossa or Kovy.

If you go to the trade board, almost everyone is a superstar and worth three top prospects plus your first. Fans seem to really overrate their own players.

CloneHakanPlease*

If you go to the trade board, almost everyone is a superstar and worth three top prospects plus your first. Fans seem to really overrate their own players.

Where have we seen this before? Cough* Smith, *cough* Filppula

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think he needs to stay. I agree his production for his cap hit is great. He's one of the few big bodies we actually have. It's frustrating watching him at times, as I think he should be a 40 goal scorer playing on Pav's wing all year. I think a problem with him (and the Wings in general) is the constant line shuffling. It's hard to develop chemistry if you're always playing with different guys every week.

This^^^^^

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad