Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Ask Wheels to waive knowing Seattle isn’t taking an aging 34yr old winger making 8+ million a year. Protect FeFe, Ehlers, Connor, Dubois, Copp, Harkins and as our forwards. JoMo, Pionk and Stanley as our D. At worst, we lose Demelo or Berdin, it’s a stretch they would take Wheeler.
By Wheels agreeing it keeps our core together and would be the ultimate captain move.
Then at the draft, utilize that cap space to take on a cap dump or two in exchange for picks or prospects. Getting an extra 2nd this year or 1st next would be great. It would help stock up the pipeline again.
Im talking to you Tampa!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Ask Wheels to waive knowing Seattle isn’t taking an aging 34yr old winger making 8+ million a year. Protect FeFe, Ehlers, Connor, Dubois, Copp, Harkins and as our forwards. JoMo, Pionk and Stanley as our D. At worst, we lose Demelo or Berdin, it’s a stretch they would take Wheeler.
By Wheels agreeing it keeps our core together and would be the ultimate captain move.
Then at the draft, utilize that cap space to take on a cap dump or two in exchange for picks or prospects. Getting an extra 2nd this year or 1st next would be great. It would help stock up the pipeline again.
Im talking to you Tampa!

I doubt Wheeler waives. Firstly, an expansion team might need some salary to get to the floor, and secondly, he's playing at a PPG pace right now which a team like Seattle could be looking for to lead a new team that will likely need some scoring help.

The rep Wheeler has on here is not the same rep he has around the league. It's not a given that no one will take him. I have a feeling he'll be lambasted by a few who will take him being protected as he didn't want to waive and its a bad move, but he has no reason to waive and has likely earned that right across his career.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt Wheeler waives. Firstly, an expansion team might need some salary to get to the floor, and secondly, he's playing at a PPG pace right now which a team like Seattle could be looking for to lead a new team that will likely need some scoring help.

The rep Wheeler has on here is not the same rep he has around the league. It's not a given that no one will take him. I have a feeling he'll be lambasted by a few who will take him being protected as he didn't want to waive and its a bad move, but he has no reason to waive and has likely earned that right across his career.

Yup the way he's playing now given his track record would make him extremely tempting to an expansion team. With only three years left on his deal I would think his age wouldn't be that much of a concern.

The org isn't approaching him to waive anyhow, the only way he gets dealt is if he requests out.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If Wheeler waives I think we can assume that we lose him. The Kraken is not gonna be hurting for cap space any time soon, and no matter what we think about Wheeler aging, they'll be picking up one or the better point producers in the league who can play C or RW, and who is a captain to boot.

Wheeler is a family man who has been in Winnipeg since he was Ehlers's age, and signed a contract with an NMC in 2018 to stay here until 2024.

I don't think there is any way he agrees to waive. And I don't think there is any way the Jets ask him to.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I'm starting to get a bit worried about our forward situation with regards to the expansion draft. We are required to expose two players that are signed through next year and meet a minnimum game threshold.

If you account for the likely 6 forwards that will be protected:

Scheifele, Wheeler, Ehlers, Dubois, Conner, Copp

We only have one forwrd signed for next year that meets that requirement in Appelton and imo most will want to use the 7th protection slot to protect him.

All our other forwards are on expiring deals or have too few games played.

Harkins needs 10 games for him to meet the requirement. I imagine injuries will get him into those games but it's not a given either with Maurice wanting his vet fourth line.

Other then him we are at risk of needing to expose a player we don't want to to meet the requirements.

Either Chevy is going to have to sign one to two of Thompson, Lewis, Perrault to an extension or we could be in trouble.

Do you know if the requirement of games played needs to be with the Jets ? If not, could the Jets trade for someone at the TD or before that meets the games played requirement ?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
if we did lose wheeler, our top 9 RW depth is appleton and ???? unless Ehlers is now a RW going forward, and then we have Copp & Connor on LW?

also think the whole cap-floor thing for Seattle is overplayed.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you know if the requirement of games played needs to be with the Jets ? If not, could the Jets trade for someone at the TD or before that meets the games played requirement ?

It doesn't need to be with the Jets. It just needs to be a total NHL games played.

Sure we could always trade for those players but to me it doesn't make much sense to expend assets to bring in expansion draft eligible players when we can just play Harkins 10 more games and sign one of our mediocre vets to a single year extension.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
if we did lose wheeler, our top 9 RW depth is appleton and ???? unless Ehlers is now a RW going forward, and then we have Copp & Connor on LW?

Overplayed or not, I don't think Wheeler's cap hit is any deterrent for Seattle whatsoever.

Reactions: DRW204 and surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If Wheeler waives I think we can assume that we lose him. The Kraken is not gonna be hurting for cap space any time soon, and no matter what we think about Wheeler aging, they'll be picking up one or the better point producers in the league who can play C or RW, and who is a captain to boot.

Wheeler is a family man who has been in Winnipeg since he was Ehlers's age, and signed a contract with an NMC in 2018 to stay here until 2024.

I don't think there is any way he agrees to waive. And I don't think there is any way the Jets ask him to.

I agree with all of this.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We can discuss this all we want - but Wheeler is not being exposed by the Jets... total non-starter

The question rising this year is 'do the Jets protect Appleton?' - I think he's making a real case
yes 7-3-1 is the way to go.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
We can discuss this all we want - but Wheeler is not being exposed by the Jets... total non-starter

The question rising this year is 'do the Jets protect Appleton?' - I think he's making a real case
Yes. He's 100% earned protection. And you're 100% correct on Wheeler, no way he's exposed.

I think the Jet's requirement for exposed forwards will be Harkins and Perreault. Harkins will get his 10-games and Perreault will get an extension. If not Perreault, then Lewis, but one of them will get extended. Their D requirement is filled by Beaulieu and their G is Comrie, (and Berdin).

I think Chevy learns from the Vegas expansion and waits to sign Lowry until afterwards, unlike he did with Perreault when he signed him a year earlier than necessary. Bottom line is the Jets probably lose Harkins, Stanley or Berdin, maybe DeMelo if they determine Stanley to be more valuable or they end up trading for a D with term. All of these losses are acceptable, at least for me, so I would not be flipping Seattle anything for them to take a certain player. Let them have who they want and move forward with what we have left. I'd love not to lose anyone, but I value the asset required to protect these players more than the players themselves, so I would let it be.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

After trading RHS Laine and Roslovic they 100% protect Appleton as the 7th forward.

They extend Perreault and Lewis prior to the expansion draft. Both will be looking at PTOs like Lewis was this year or Perry/Frolik were so they'll take a guaranteed NHL deal, if it's here or Seattle likely won't matter much. Just need to find a ticket in the flat cap world as a bottom 6, 30+ year old player.

We expose Lewis, Perreault, Beaulieu and Berdin/Comrie. They take Harkins/Stanley/Berdin. Realistically we can absorb all those losses.

I really do think they'll end up taking Berdin given how well he's playing this year and the fact they can put him through waivers again next year. They'll have lots of good options at Left D so I don't think Stanley is that enticing as he won't be able to go through waivers. If Harkins doesn't get to play much this year it's a risk taking him as he's not cracking the lineup here. He'll be battling with Vesalainen for a top 9 spot next year and then Perfetti will be coming too.

Anyhow, I'm not to worried because all we need to do is offer 1 year, league minimum extensions to 2 guys on our 4th line that will 100% sign them and we're set. We're almost better off hiding Harkins and Stanley on the taxi squad from an expansion draft perspective.

EDIT: Apparently me and Oilpeg were writing the exact same thing at the exact same time. He hit post first.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
After trading RHS Laine and Roslovic they 100% protect Appleton as the 7th forward.

They extend Perreault and Lewis prior to the expansion draft. Both will be looking at PTOs like Lewis was this year or Perry/Frolik were so they'll take a guaranteed NHL deal, if it's here or Seattle likely won't matter much. Just need to find a ticket in the flat cap world as a bottom 6, 30+ year old player.

We expose Lewis, Perreault, Beaulieu and Berdin/Comrie. They take Harkins/Stanley/Berdin. Realistically we can absorb all those losses.

I really do think they'll end up taking Berdin given how well he's playing this year and the fact they can put him through waivers again next year. They'll have lots of good options at Left D so I don't think Stanley is that enticing as he won't be able to go through waivers. If Harkins doesn't get to play much this year it's a risk taking him as he's not cracking the lineup here. He'll be battling with Vesalainen for a top 9 spot next year and then Perfetti will be coming too.

Anyhow, I'm not to worried because all we need to do is offer 1 year, league minimum extensions to 2 guys on our 4th line that will 100% sign them and we're set. We're almost better off hiding Harkins and Stanley on the taxi squad from an expansion draft perspective.

EDIT: Apparently me and Oilpeg were writing the exact same thing at the exact same time. He hit post first.
I win! haha

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Im talking to you Tampa!
I think people are way too confident that Seattle wouldn't take Wheeler. They're going to have to reach the cap floor and there are worse ways to do that than to grab a perennial point per game player. I also think that saying to your captain "hey we're going to risk losing you because we think that nobody wants you" might not be received well by him or any other players on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Im talking to you Tampa!

My thoughts, too, that anything involving moving Wheeler better include a decent younger Right-hand shooting winger player or prospect coming back. We really have nobody else coming in the pipeline who shoots right and shows promise. Can weaken a team similar to having an over-abundance of left shooting Dmen with only 1 Right-hand shooter. Can work with the right mix but...quite risky overall or long-term?
We already lost 2 in Laine and Roslovic, for left-hand shooting centerman.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The silver lining of the Jets abysmal stable of defensemen is easily going 7-3-1 for the expansion draft :laugh:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'm of the opinion that Chevy will leave nothing to chance and there will not be a player given up that he doesn't want to give up.

For example, Maurice would probably like both Lowry and Copp back next year. Lowry is a UFA, but regardless, it probably would not be feasible to have them both back at 3.5-4 /year. If the focus is to sign Lowry, then perhaps Copp is dealt to Seattle with a small kickback in return. Or some such deal.

I really enjoy the chess aspect of team building.
We all know who Copp's agent is, so that would not surprise me.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Yes. He's 100% earned protection. And you're 100% correct on Wheeler, no way he's exposed.

I think the Jet's requirement for exposed forwards will be Harkins and Perreault. Harkins will get his 10-games and Perreault will get an extension. If not Perreault, then Lewis, but one of them will get extended. Their D requirement is filled by Beaulieu and their G is Comrie, (and Berdin).

I think Chevy learns from the Vegas expansion and waits to sign Lowry until afterwards, unlike he did with Perreault when he signed him a year earlier than necessary. Bottom line is the Jets probably lose Harkins, Stanley or Berdin, maybe DeMelo if they determine Stanley to be more valuable or they end up trading for a D with term. All of these losses are acceptable, at least for me, so I would not be flipping Seattle anything for them to take a certain player. Let them have who they want and move forward with what we have left. I'd love not to lose anyone, but I value the asset required to protect these players more than the players themselves, so I would let it be.
If I am Seattle I take Berdin kid is fun as hell to watch...

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
MP is lucky that #70 on Vancouver is terrible. The Jets should sign MP again after this year. The question is for how much and how long when some other team should see him as a good veteran addition.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don’t completely disagree with your comment, but I would still like them to add a RD, not a fan of having to play Morrissey on his offside whenever Poolman gets hurt. We have no right side depth.

yea I hear you but both Samberg and Heinola can play the right side and they cost us nothing. If it’s more than a rental we have to expose one of our D men to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad