Trade, FA, Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That would be ideal but best case that is 3-4 years away.
I think Samberg will be better than and sooner than most fans think he will be.

Part of this is based on his track record, part based on scouting reports, but also based on when I watched him in development camp. I know that's a small sample and an unusual setting, but he was very impressive to me. In addition to his great size, he was mobile and smooth with the puck for a big player. He dominated one on one matchups with ease.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Part of this is based on his track record, part based on scouting reports, but also based on when I watched him in development camp. I know that's a small sample and an unusual setting, but he was very impressive to me. In addition to his great size, he was mobile and smooth with the puck for a big player. He dominated one on one matchups with ease.

Agreed. I wouldn’t be shocked if he has an Adam Fox-like impact. Probably not offensively but better defensively.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm a huge Samberg fan and voted for him as our second best prospect after Perfetti. I agree he will be a valuable player for us, but at the same time I think another young defenseman who can defend will serve us well. My experience as a Jet fan is that rarely do I sit there and think this defenseman is being held back, instead the far more common experience is I wish we had someone who could step in who wasn't a major downgrade. My ideal would be to overload on defense while salaries are depressed and then trade from a position of strength if the time should come.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd say we need about 3 DeMelo's. We are all hoping that Samberg basically becomes a DeMelo. If we could get another 2/3 defenseman that would be outstanding. The chance of some combination of players not including Laine or Scheifele getting us a true #1 RHD are extremely remote. My biggest motivator for pushing so hard for an improved defense is when I started to isolate our top 6 forwards who struggled defensively with better defense there was a very significant rise in their possession numbers. IMO we will become a much better overall possession team if we can add more D that can defend and move the puck. A true #1 RHD is a dream at this point. Getting 4 or 5 players that grade out at #2-#4 at least gives us a fighting chance at being competitive.

Pionk is a different style but about the same overall level. I hope for more from Samberg. Similar defense + physicality + a little offense. I think we can compete with a top 4 of JMo, DeMelo, Samberg and Pionk. I expect top 4 out of Heinola too and Poolman is fine at 3RD. I'm just not nearly as concerned about our D corps as you are. If I was, I'd still see Weegar as a dubious upgrade from what we have, based on your description of him. Would be better at 2LD for this year. Then no longer needed on the left side.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Poolman is what he is a decent third pairng RD that still struggles mightily to move the puck out of his end. Weager is a second pairing dmen which is a step up. Weager would be acquired to play on the second pairing on the left this year and then move to the right when Heinola/Samberg are ready. Poolman would play next year on the third pairing and then likely walk as a UFA hence Kovacevik taking his spot the year after next.

I’d have my money on Gawanke

Reactions: jgimp

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The more I think about it, the more I think the Jets are going to role with the D they have now and plan to work Samberg (and perhaps Heinola) into the roster this season. Expending considerable assets to pick up a D that you are likely to lose in the expansion draft doesn't make that much sense, particularly if the Jets think Samberg and Heinola are likely to be 2nd-pairing D in the not-too-distant future.

The only caveat might be a big Laine trade, if one of the players coming back is a good top-pairing D. In that case, I could see the Jets moving Pionk, either as part of a Laine trade or as a follow-up.

With this reasoning( which I don’t disagree with ) we most likely were not In on shmidt.

What would change within a couple weeks .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I wish this wasn’t such an unconventional season. With the extra season at UMD my feelings are similar. I am thinking he will do pretty well if he sticks to his game.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Do doubt life was easier for Chevy when he Ehlers, Connor and Laine on their ELCs. Hopefully in a couple of years Heinola, Samberg and Perfetti can provide the same type of value.
Let's hope it's next fall. It probably should be for at least 2 of the 3.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I honestly see Slamberg becoming as good as Trouba was when he left. I know not many will agree with me but time will tell.

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
I honestly see Slamberg becoming as good as Trouba was when he left. I know not many will agree with me but time will tell.

It's all looking good, partnered with Pionk, behind Wheeler, with Forbert there as well, after three successful years in their college, its all set up for the young man to excel. Fingers crossed.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It's all looking good, partnered with Pionk, behind Wheeler, with Forbert there as well, after three successful years in their college, its all set up for the young man to excel. Fingers crossed.
That is where he plays this year if they don't bring in anyone else via trade.
Slamberg and DeMelo are going to really help our PK once he is ready for it.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The fake rumour about us being in on shmidt started a false optimism around here thinking we were going to do kore then we normally would .

Statsny was all we were going to do.

Reactions: Aries56

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Funny people ignore the facts, Chevy has had a very good offseason so far. Grand slam would be getting a top 4 LHD

There are some things I would have liked to have seen done a little differently. But he has met my list of requirements, maybe even exceeded them a bit. I had hopes for more, but I didn't really expect even as much as we got. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad