Trade, FA, Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
well a 3rd just got a good top4 defensemen which is what we want to get with him.

Right, but the trade value was based on Vegas being near the cap ceiling and desperate to unload him so they could sign a major upgrade in Pieterangelo. I'm not sure the Jets would find a team in a similar situation - either up against the cap with key players left unsigned or teams with an internal budget?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Right, but the trade value was based on Vegas being near the cap ceiling and desperate to unload him so they could sign a major upgrade in Pieterangelo. I'm not sure the Jets would find a team in a similar situation - either up against the cap with key players left unsigned or teams with an internal budget?

I think there will be more players available and rosie might be a good trade chip for some of them. we can take on a good player with more money and they get a young cheaper skilled player

Reactions: roccerfeller

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
I know everybody is bummed out by the Nate Schmidt news. While it was probably never in the cards, I am ticked Erik Gustafsson quietly went to the Flyers for only 3M. Quality defenseman with offensive upside and is smooth running a PP. I understand he is a lefty which clashes with our stale powerplay set-up, but regardless, the price seemed negligible.

Reactions: roccerfeller

Whodey204

Oct 2, 2017
If Chevy was playing hardball with Vegas and lost out on Schmidt over a 3rd round pick he should be fired.

If Schmidt refused to waive his NTC then Chevy surely hasn't been surprised by this kind of behavior, which further goes to support the fact that we're a draft and develop team.

Problem is we keep trading draft picks for scrubs (Eakins) or players the coach won't play (Hayes) hence the dreaded wheel of mediocrity weve fallen into the past few seasons and appear stuck in without a significant add.

Either way, Chevy needs to step up this off-season and acquire quality for a change, rather than dumpster dive for press box level defenseman, which Maurice will slot in the lineup regulary while Samberg and Heinola ride the pine. No sense making use of those cheap ELC years when you can pay everyone else's leftovers more.

Happy with the Stastny trade, but so far the off-season leaves me wanting more. A Perrault buyout would have been nice - seems like opportunity exists to get quality players at a significant discount

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there were quite a few teams that didn't like Schmidt's cost and term - likely the Jets among them. Even with a 10 team NTC, Vegas ended up trading him in division for a 3rd? I mean...

There is also the possibility that Nate nixed it. But I would have thought that would have been settled 2 days ago when this talk started.

We'll probably never know but somehow, I expect the Wpg inferiority complex crew will insist on that narrative anyway. Unfortunately, it may be correct. But I prefer your version. At one point someone said it was being held up because Chevy wanted some salary retention.

Reactions: Gm0ney and JetsUK

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
There is also the possibility that Nate nixed it. But I would have thought that would have been settled 2 days ago when this talk started.

We'll probably never know but somehow, I expect the Wpg inferiority complex crew will insist on that narrative anyway. Unfortunately, it may be correct. But I prefer your version. At one point someone said it was being held up because Chevy wanted some salary retention.

I think the info about the trade being in place, but not completed, was giving Schmidt the evening to think about whether he wanted to waive or not.

You can call it inferiority complex but its just a reality we live in. It's far more likely that it was held up and ultimately not completed because of the NTC and not because Chevy refused to meet a 3rd round pick two years away by a Vegas division rival.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think the info about the trade being in place, but not completed, was giving Schmidt the evening to think about whether he wanted to waive or not.

You can call it inferiority complex but its just a reality we live in. It's far more likely that it was held up and ultimately not completed because of the NTC and not because Chevy refused to meet a 3rd round pick two years away by a Vegas division rival.

Not because Chevy refused to beat that offer. Because Chevy wanted salary retention. He didn't want to be on the hook for 5x5.9 for Schmidt. --- Or because Schmidt refused. Take your pick.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Don't be silly, Mort. It's not an "inferiority complex" to realize that Winnipeg is very likely on most players' no trade list. There are documented surveys of players and agents confirming it. So spare us the rhetoric. I'm a proud Winnipegger and I could live and work just about anywhere I would like, but I accept the reality that many NHL players don't share my enthusiasm.

Having said that, I don't doubt that some teams are less enthusiastic about Schmidt and his contract in this environment than many fans.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Not because Chevy refused to beat that offer. Because Chevy wanted salary retention. He didn't want to be on the hook for 5x5.9 for Schmidt. --- Or because Schmidt refused. Take your pick.
the only rumor about wanting salary retention was from one of those @nhlhockeyrumor accounts

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If Chevy was playing hardball with Vegas and lost out on Schmidt over a 3rd round pick he should be fired.

If Schmidt refused to waive his NTC then Chevy surely hasn't been surprised by this kind of behavior, which further goes to support the fact that we're a draft and develop team.

Problem is we keep trading draft picks for scrubs (Eakins) or players the coach won't play (Hayes) hence the dreaded wheel of mediocrity weve fallen into the past few seasons and appear stuck in without a significant add.

Either way, Chevy needs to step up this off-season and acquire quality for a change, rather than dumpster dive for press box level defenseman, which Maurice will slot in the lineup regulary while Samberg and Heinola ride the pine. No sense making use of those cheap ELC years when you can pay everyone else's leftovers more.

Happy with the Stastny trade, but so far the off-season leaves me wanting more. A Perrault buyout would have been nice - seems like opportunity exists to get quality players at a significant discount
I agree. We need to take more risks and just follow the status quo as a team relying on draft and development. We need better coaching since we might never get the players so it’s up to the coach to maximize their usage.
Things like putting Ehlers on the 1 pp or 1st line. Also laine on 1 st line a while ago. If he was still asking for too much money I’d rather the haul of a guy who is a consistent 40 goal scorer than 30.
You can’t play it as safe when you know at the end of the day you’re not getting the ufa. Then you have to develop from within. Run 4 lines. They might give their stars more minutes but when you have 4 lines coming at you guys get exhausted when you have the better 4th line. Instead mo only plays his 4th 5 minutes a game.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I don't think retention was the hold up here, and even if it was, I don't see a world where Vegas doesn't take back the Van offer outside of the division.

I'll believe the more likely scenario of another NTC nixing a deal and accept we're working with a handicap here when it comes to trades and free agency. Stastny not having the Jets on his list is the exception, not the rule.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Why would Mtl want to part with Armia? Even straight up, much less adding?
Roslovic gives them a middle 6 RW with C potential if one of their C’s gets injured or isn’t ready.
Armia isn’t as valuable as Roslovic and Juulsen, considering his injury history, doesn’t hold a lot of value.
It’s a fair trade for both teams.
Armia takes our 3RW position with 2RW potential in case of injury.
Juulsen, if he’s healthy and can get his game together, would be a step up from Poolman and might actually develop into a middle pairing RHD.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I know the reality that some teams are at disadvantage wrt attracting and signing players. And the Jets are probably the most affected. It sucks. It is frustrating. I wish there was a league work around (not sure how that could even be a thing) but there will not be. It is harder to win if you are one of the small markets.You have to draft and develop better. Trade better. Not sign albatross contracts.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Calcutta

Oct 3, 2019
Tbf schmidts contract looks bad, I'm glad we're not stuck with that for years with samberg/Heinola coming thru. And imagine how happy pomo will be when we end up with Boychuk and Reaves...

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm surprised nothing has been done on the Copp/Lowry front. I don't think we can afford both long term, so if you sign one, the other becomes a valuable trade asset.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Why would there be a discussion or speculation of salary retention? The reason Vegas moved on from Nate Schmidt was to clear salary - not retain it.

Also, there was someone questioning what my "excuse" for Chevy was in not getting Devon Toews. First off, I'm not a Chevy apologist - just a realist. With regards to Toews, I have no idea if the Jets are/were even interested in that player. It seems that whenever a defenseman is moved, there is often a rush to vilify the Jets.

Maybe they are actually happy to roll with what they have unless there is a player they really like? I am not so convinced that the Jets are a Devon Toews away from contending. As always, Chevy is and always has been wait and see for me. I know that seems weird to say 10 years in, but I also know that he is working in the most challenging market in the league with regards to player movement flexibility (just reality).

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Tbf schmidts contract looks bad, I'm glad we're not stuck with that for years with samberg/Heinola coming thru. And imagine how happy pomo will be when we end up with Boychuk and Reaves...

Once I saw Schmidt's contract and his age, I was also fine with not getting him. I don't think it will age well. I thought he was a lot younger than 29. If there had been only a couple years left on it, sure.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Roslovic gives them a middle 6 RW with C potential if one of their C’s gets injured or isn’t ready.
Armia isn’t as valuable as Roslovic and Juulsen, considering his injury history, doesn’t hold a lot of value.
It’s a fair trade for both teams.
Armia takes our 3RW position with 2RW potential in case of injury.
Juulsen, if he’s healthy and can get his game together, would be a step up from Poolman and might actually develop into a middle pairing RHD.
Well that's a bold statement. With Armia you get 20+20 player and one of the best forechecker/puck retriever/pker in the league.

Fun fact. His TkA/60 is head and shoulders above everyone else on the team, every year.
16-17 2.92
17-18 2.89
18-19 3.06
19-20 2.82

If he doesn’t get enough respect in Montreal after acquiring Toffoli and Shoulderson, then Chevy should correct his mistake and get him back.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wonder how cheap Sami Vatanen is going to end up being. Might be worth a two-year contract. He's been a top 4 most of his career, but I don't think last year was great for him.

He'll probably end up in Ottawa.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I wonder if people on HFB complain more about the players they do have OR the players they never have?

Would it be nice if Chevy could land player X? Sure, but he didn't, and it does not matter why. It doesn't matter if Chevy didn't offer enough, or wanted salary retained, or the player has Winnipeg on their NMC / NTC... the player isn't in Winnipeg.

I'm more concerned that we spent cap space on a forward that hasn't scored 5 goals in a season in the last 6 years.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I was excited about Schmidt, as he would’ve been an impact player IMO.

On the other hand, I’m excited about the flexibility that Chevy has. I think there are going to be some real bargains as the offseason goes on and the Jets are in a position to capitalize. They also have flexibility for next offseason with lots of money coming off the cap and a number of high end players on their ELC. I view this season as a transition year and I hope that we get to see Samberg get some meaningful development time.

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad