Trade, FA and Rumours 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
ok suzuki could have helped but we used that pick to protect out team from the expansion draft and we traded the sandin pick for stastny, a deadline deal I would do in a heartbeat again

and I guess thank you proving my point that trading those picks didn't have an effect on why our bottom six is bad...
Nick Suzuki instantly helps the 3rd line either by playing on it, or pushing somebody down.

Rasmus Sandin, although not a Forward, would help the team. He netted the Leafs a 1st round pick.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Nick Suzuki instantly helps the 3rd line either by playing on it, or pushing somebody down.

Rasmus Sandin, although not a Forward, would help the team. He netted the Leafs a 1st round pick.
we moved down 11 spots or something in the draft, it's not like we traded it outright and who knows if we would have even selected suzuki we could have easily went with branstrom...

cool, that sandin got the leafs a 1st. I would still trade that pick for stastny during that run anyways...

every single one of the picks you listed after 2018 have accomplished nothing and would have contributed nothing to our bottom six this year and probably wouldn't contribute anything in the future as well

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So we won’t trade picks to try and win it

We won’t get players without term to win it .

Will the jets ever go all in ? Like actually balls to the wall try and win it .

Or will there always be a reason why we just modestly grab a small improvement or two because of so many reasons ?

My question to you is why do you want the Jets to go "all in" on a season where they have the 3rd worst record in the league in the last month and a half? They went all in in 17-18 and 18-19. 17-18 was a genuinely good team. This group is closer to the 18-19 team which wasn't that great (and that is if they are able to pull out of this skid). It'd be different if they were looking like the cream of the crop like in the beginning of the season.

Look at Carolina and how disciplined they are regardless of what's happening around them. They refuse to move a 1st or a top prospect or even a 2nd for short term help. That level of discipline is what has allowed them to be the juggernaut they are. That organization is laying the template for small market teams on how to find success in the NHL... hire a staff where everyone is pulling in the same direction, treat your 1st, 2nds and prospects like they are gold. They literally haven't moved a 1st for a rental in over 15 years and rarely move 2nds for rentals as well.

Jets on the other hand have been far too loosey goosey in giving up 2nds and the 1st they gave up in the Hayes trade was a waste. Small markets play with a different set of rules and can't afford to be like the NYR and LAKs of the world. When they try to act like they are NYR it results in pain (see Columbus a few years ago moving 1sts and then letting guys like Duchene, Panarin walk to UFA)

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
In truth we are a bubble team that had a good start to the season. But we have dropped down to the approx same tier as we ended last season. We could go for it and trade the 2023 and 2024 1sts but on whom and how much better does that make us? If we miss the playoffs we will have a 12-16 pick in a very strong draft that might be equivalent to a 7-10 in average years. If we do end up rebuilding next season we could be a lottery team and be giving up a top 5 pick. And if Chevy was going to sell the only real option was PLD which a case could be made for but we needed to make this decision earlier. The TD isn’t really the time to make a franchise changing decision on your future direction of your team when you are firmly in the middle ground.

Quoted for truth.

Reactions: KingBogo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
The jets internal debate is scary... chevy should be in charge

Like the internal debate to draft stanley...

Reactions: Pongs21

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's not an autocracy. It would be foolish to have one guy make all of the decisions.
Especially make all the decisions without a wide range of thinking from all sources that can bring relative information to the table.

Reactions: Jet

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I really don't consider Stanley to have made it and be considered part of a decent 2016 draft. He would have to have played at least 250 games minimum if not more to have accomplished such.

Samberg looks to have the goods to be a decent top-4 d-man. Time will tell. Kovacevic?! He is playing on one of the worst teams in the league and is a terrible d-man. He hasn't made it by a long shot at this point.

Again the lack of forward depth is largely attributable to the questionable drafting from 2016 post Laine to 2019. Gustaffson appears to be the only forward on the team and he might not be more than an average to below-average 4th liner. Might be more like a 13th forward or minor leaguer on a team with depth.

Guys like Chisholm playing good in the Moose on their draft + 5 season doesn't mean anything until he actually makes the show. Even then, he isn't a forward - something the club desparetely needs.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
The way I see it this core is clearly on the way out. They decided to bring everyone back and go for it. I'm fine with that, but they need to follow through and go for it. We're still in striking distance and can recover whatever draft picks we spend and more when we trade PLD, Scheifele, Helle, etc. Give the fans something to cheer for before the dark days ahead.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The way I see it this core is clearly on the way out. They decided to bring everyone back and go for it. I'm fine with that, but they need to follow through and go for it. We're still in striking distance and can recover whatever draft picks we spend and more when we trade PLD, Scheifele, Helle, etc. Give the fans something to cheer for before the dark days ahead.

You are not recovering draft picks. If you trade this year's first and then get a 1st back in the PLD trade you are still down a 1st as without giving up a 1st you'd have 2 1sts.

The darkest thing as a fan is watching your team flounder and not even have the consolation prize of a 1st round pick for the fans to hang their hopes on.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
You are not recovering draft picks. If you trade this year's first and then get a 1st back in the PLD trade you are still down a 1st as without giving up a 1st you'd have 2 1sts.

The darkest thing as a fan is watching your team flounder and not even have the consolation prize of a 1st round pick for the fans to hang their hopes on.

I disagree. Lets say trading PLD, Schiefele, Helle, gets you 4 1st round picks. PLD and Helle can get 1 each. Scheifele probably gets you 2. . Plus your own so 5 1st round picks or equivalent assets. . I'd rather spend one 1st round pick and give it a shot this year (or next) and still have 4 1sts between this off season and next year's deadline. Rather than doing nothing and getting 5 instead of 4, and exemplifying a losing spirt and culture for fans and prospective future players.

I'm not saying burning a 1st for a pure rental or overpaying for player not worthy of a 1st. But it doesn't mean you don't try hard . And if an opportunity is there to make a impact with a trade that makes sense, then I think Chevy should pull the trigger.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I disagree. Lets say trading PLD, Schiefele, Helle, gets you 4 1st round picks. Plus your own so 5 1st round picks. I'd rather spend one 1st round pick and give it a shot this year (or next) and still have 4 1sts between this off season and next year's deadline. Rather than doing nothing and getting 5 instead of 4, and exemplifying a losing spirt and culture for fans and prospective future players.

I'm not saying burning a 1st for a pure rental or overpaying for player not worthy of a 1st. But it doesn't mean you don't try hard . And if an opportunity is there to make an impact with a trade that makes sense, then I think Chevy should pull the trigger.
This is going by the assumption that all 1st round picks are equal. I know there is a value chart out there but a 10-15 pick is worth more than 2 - 25-32 picks and a top 5 is worth approximately 3 value wise. Can’t remember exact valuation but it is pretty extreme.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I'm going to throw this name out there, Carter Verhaeghe 2 years left after this year at 4.16. Now I have no idea if the Panthers would entertain trading him he is there goal scoring leader after all but he is the kind of player the Jets could use in a top 6 role. In all probability would cost a bit to get him here. That's a swing for the fences move

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Ottawa's pick is going to be top 10 this year, if it is top 5 it becomes an unprotected 2024 1st which could end up being a lottery pick. That is worth way more than a 1st from a playoff team.
Nope. Ottawa certainly won’t be picking too 10.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
This is going by the assumption that all 1st round picks are equal. I know there is a value chart out there but a 10-15 pick is worth more than 2 - 25-32 picks and a top 5 is worth approximately 3 value wise. Can’t remember exact valuation but it is pretty extreme.

True but I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of the 1sts garnered from a Schiefele, PLD, Helle, blow-up trade would be within the general range of where the Jets would be picking. Especially if some of these are draft day trades where more teams are opened up as options. Mid tear teams not just contenders. Or trading with a team that have other teams' 1sts which may be higher. Also consider if you aquire a future 1st from a current contender, who's to say if that team places low or mid tier in the standings that future season?

Last edited:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
The Jets have an advantage over allot of other teams had or will have at the end of their contending window.:

High draft capital potential via tradeable outgoing assests.

The timing of the remaining window , the contract term, salary cost and player calibre with these players - Schiefele, Helle PLD are all pretty favorable for the Jets..

If the Jets had 3 or 4 Blake Wheelers or Jonathan Toews as they are nearing the end of their window than I Agree - save your 1st at all costs. But they don't. They have trade equity that can be flipped for high draft picks or equivalent So I'm fine with using their own single 1st rounder *if* it makes sense.

If that 1st spent gets you help to contend this year and beyond, then perhaps some of those players re-sign here (likely Scheifele and / or Helle)and Jets reload/retool instead. If not , then you can still re-coup premium assests if you blow it up with Schiefele, Helle, PLD..

Do nothing, and you run the risk of blowing it up no matter what with a
bleak perception for this franchise moving forward - a team that will not take risks to win during their contending window.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm going to throw this name out there, Carter Verhaeghe 2 years left after this year at 4.16. Now I have no idea if the Panthers would entertain trading him he is there goal scoring leader after all but he is the kind of player the Jets could use in a top 6 role. In all probability would cost a bit to get him here. That's a swing for the fences move
Sure but there's like zero indication he's available

Reactions: SCP Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad