Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
As sweet as getting MSL would be, rumors are flying about the Rangers sending Callahan for a one for one trade with MSL.

I don't think the Flyers have anyone else to match that kind of trade with.

Matt Read. He isn't as good as Callahan, but is controlled for the next 4 years. Who would you rather have, Callahan til the end or Read for the next four? Even if they want to re-sign Cally, he is looking for 7-8 years worth up to 6.75 annually. That is just too much for Cally. I am a big fan of his too.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
This team is NOT a contender and adding MSL won't change that unless Hedman is coming back in the deal as well. Even if he hasn't shown signs of slowing down, 38 years old is 38 years old. The likelihood of him retiring after this year or the next is a lot higher than if we traded for a 30 year old. By the time this team is ready to contend, Marty would most likely be gone and the assets that were traded for him would be essentially wasted.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
This team is NOT a contender and adding MSL won't change that unless Hedman is coming back in the deal as well. Even if he hasn't shown signs of slowing down, 38 years old is 38 years old. The likelihood of him retiring after this year or the next is a lot higher than if we traded for a 30 year old. By the time this team is ready to contend, Marty would most likely be gone and the assets that were traded for him would be essentially wasted.

Agree MSL not worth giving up assets for. This teams biggest weakness is clearing the zone on the backend.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'd be willing to sacrifice some youth for Weber. Schenn or Couts+Hagg+2 Firsts and that still leaves us Laughton,Morin,Ghost,Cousins,Alt. We would be in good shape but I don't know that would be enough to get him.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm worried about a possible acquisition of MSL. If he went to Tampa Bay management and asked for trade because he was upset he didn't get named to the Olympic team, what happens if Berube decides to put him on the second line with Schenn and Lecavalier and not the first with Giroux and Voracek? I mean, yes, MSL is a great player, but to throw a temper tantrum and demand a trade because your own GM wouldn't name you to the Olympic Team? That's cheap and shallow.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Giving up assets for MSL is what you do if you're in contention. The Flyers aren't in contention.

The only way I'm fine with it is if it's a complete, laughable steal.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Giving up assets for MSL is what you do if you're in contention. The Flyers aren't in contention.

The only way I'm fine with it is if it's a complete, laughable steal.

Yeah, I think you are right. I am going to go back and change my position that I would not be interested in MSL for Read. I didn't really realize how good Read was until I was thinking about the comparison of Read to Callahan. Pretty much the same age and comparable stats. Granted, Callahan has been doing it longer and more consistently, but still.

I still wouldn't be opposed to getting MSL, even if it wasn't a "laughable steal." But no high draft picks, no Laughtons/Morins/Haags, and no Reads or Simmondses. Not really sure what I would give up, but certainly none of those (or the obvious Voraceks and Girouxs).

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Yeah, I think you are right. I am going to go back and change my position that I would not be interested in MSL for Read. I didn't really realize how good Read was until I was thinking about the comparison of Read to Callahan. Pretty much the same age and comparable stats. Granted, Callahan has been doing it longer and more consistently, but still.

I still wouldn't be opposed to getting MSL, even if it wasn't a "laughable steal." But no high draft picks, no Laughtons/Morins/Haags, and no Reads or Simmondses. Not really sure what I would give up, but certainly none of those (or the obvious Voraceks and Girouxs).

Akeson, Manning, Lauridsen and a 3rd. GET ER DUN

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Any additional incoming cap dollars should be towards the d. Don't see why anyone would want a 38 MSL. He doesn't put the Flyers over the top and makes it harder to improve the d next year. I am also a huge MSL fan. Just don't see the need at all.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Haha, yeah I'd love that. Not so sure the Bolts would. I don't think a deal should get done here. MSL is going to be too pricey. He may be worth the deal in some circumstances, but not the Flyers this season.

Oh good god sir, are you trying to destroy our team? Those are the players that we are giving to st. Louis for petierangelo jay bo Alex steen and their first!! :sarcasm: :laugh:

Bolts would likely add a throw in contract like Hedman to make the deal work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad