Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Yeah I know it's Eklund, but ya never know...

BTW I'm not a fan of any of those players unless the deal is an absolute steal.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/12-Updated-as-Trade-Freeze-Thaws-Five-New-Trade-Rumors/1/58175

Daley isn't a bad option--and he'd come cheapest I'd think.

I'm fine with Buff at a cheap price, but I doubt that happens. It is really hard to see a deal with WPG that doesn't end up looking pretty bad for the Flyers.

MacDonald went from being one of the most underrated players in the league to one of the more overrated--and I'm pretty sure he's set up for a Carle-like contract in the offseason.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't see any big moves going down in Flyer-country. Probably just a depth move. No one being sold off and no big names being brought in.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Daley isn't a bad option--and he'd come cheapest I'd think.

I'm fine with Buff at a cheap price, but I doubt that happens. It is really hard to see a deal with WPG that doesn't end up looking pretty bad for the Flyers.

MacDonald went from being one of the most underrated players in the league to one of the more overrated--and I'm pretty sure he's set up for a Carle-like contract in the offseason.

I agree on all of these fronts. I would think Daley would cost a 2nd+ another pick or middling prospect.

Buff seems like it would be more of an offseason move if we were going to make it. Where would he play? Defense? Winger for Giroux?

If St Louis is available, I go for him. Especially if Steve Y is thinking about moving him for an UFA, we can top that offer.

Would you do Read for St Louis?

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
I agree on all of these fronts. I would think Daley would cost a 2nd+ another pick or middling prospect.

Buff seems like it would be more of an offseason move if we were going to make it. Where would he play? Defense? Winger for Giroux?

If St Louis is available, I go for him. Especially if Steve Y is thinking about moving him for an UFA, we can top that offer.

not a chance. This team needs defense and then defense and then a little more defense. You don't give up one of your best trade chips for a 35+ year old forward.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT

Nope, not at that cost. Not even for a high draft pick!

Much like Lecavalier he would be another commodity on offense that doesn't help the team moving forward. A good player but still the wrong choice since this team needs a top pairing defenseman more than anything else.

Trevor Daley, A. MacDonald maybe if the price is right and Mesz+ or Grossmann go the other way.
Big Buff sounds intriguing if he wouldn't cost an arm and a leg... but still there would be a lot of question marks how this defense should be structured moving forward. Can't afford paying a #5/#6 3.6 or 4 M respectively like they do with L.Schenn and Mesz right now, especially the way they are playing.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
not a chance. This team needs defense and then defense and then a little more defense. You don't give up one of your best trade chips for a 35+ year old forward.

I know that St Louis is 38 and all, the man just hasn't stopped producing though while aging. He is reigning Art Ross trophy winner and still has a great motor. He has 56 points this year and some of that is while carrying the team without Stamkos.

I am very intrigued by the possibility of him being available. You don't get that type of talent and work ethic everyday and rarely do they become available. If they are willing to take Callahan maybe they would entertain the possibility of Hartnell? I was just trying to give them a right winger though because he would play right wing.

Imagine these lines(if we traded Read)

Hartnell-Giroux- St Louis
Vinny-Schenn-Voracek
Raffl-Couts-Simmonds
4th line.

I would love it. That first line would be a power house.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Maybe I am overvaluing St Louis, but I don't just look at his age and immediately think he is a less attractive piece to have on the team. Yes, he is older but the guy is still producing at extremely high levels. I don't think Vinny and St Louis are comparable because Vinny has had a fair share of injuries lately. St Louis is a workhorse.

They wouldn't take a defenseman back because one would have to think they would want a forward to replace his production as much as possible.

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
I know that St Louis is 38 and all, the man just hasn't stopped producing though while aging. He is reigning Art Ross trophy winner and still has a great motor. He has 56 points this year and some of that is while carrying the team without Stamkos.

I am very intrigued by the possibility of him being available. You don't get that type of talent and work ethic everyday and rarely do they become available. If they are willing to take Callahan maybe they would entertain the possibility of Hartnell? I was just trying to give them a right winger though because he would play right wing.

Imagine these lines(if we traded Read)

Hartnell-Giroux- St Louis
Vinny-Schenn-Voracek
Raffl-Couts-Simmonds
4th line.

I would love it. That first line would be a power house.

and it would still get them nowhere. They aren't going anywhere with their defense as it is. I still don't even know if they make the playoffs, not to mention winning a round. That offense isn't near potent to go toe to toe and offensively dominate oppenents in the playoffs. Not even close.

They can't trade younger long term assets for short term patches. They've done that for too long and it's why we're in the shape we're in.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I'd also go big on MSL, Prongo.

Thank you, I feel like people don't realize how good the guy is. Also he is pretty good defensively too. Would give you time on the PK as well.

Maybe Read for him would be a move people disagree with at first, but Read is giving you 45-50 points a year while playing good defense as well. St Louis gives you double that production while giving you good defense and PK too. The biggest question would be, is he willing to play and sign for 1-2 more years after this contract? If yes, I see no reason why he wouldn't put up the numbers he has constantly or even at 65 points a year he is still a great option.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You can't make proposals on here (and HF in general). People hold onto their players and picks like newborns. It's kind of funny. People say this team isn't ready to make a run (I agree) but they are reluctant to move pieces to attempt to upgrade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
and it would still get them nowhere. They aren't going anywhere with their defense as it is. I still don't even know if they make the playoffs, not to mention winning a round. That offense isn't near potent to go toe to toe and offensively dominate oppenents in the playoffs. Not even close.

They can't trade younger long term assets for short term patches. They've done that for too long and it's why we're in the shape we're in.

Adding a 38 year old forward with a substantial cap hit is not the answer to the Flyers problems. A lot of people in this thread deluding themselves into thinking we are close to being a contender. Why would St Louis even want to go to a playoff bubble team like Philly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad