Speculation: Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Does anybody else find it weird that the Flyers have pretty much stayed out of the rumor mill. Normally they are front and center for every trade rumor-monger, but even guys like Garrioch and Eklund have barely mentioned them all year let alone leading up to the first deadline. I know the salary cap is down but Holmgren just said he has ways around it. Do you think or have heard that the Flyers have any thing cooking or is this going to be a very uneventful trade deadline?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I honestly think he is loading up for something big in the offseason. He is just waiting around for the season to get done and make something happen at the draft. He likes the core of this team, he really needs to find a replacement for Pronger. We get a #1, and this team is instantly a cup contender, just where are we getting it?

Similar to most trades, these things are discussed months in advance. I could see Homer making big waves at the draft. Last year the Schneider deal to New Jersey was done a good time before the draft I believe, they just kept it on the hush hush until they were picking.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They only have $2.4m in cap space. I think it will be a quiet deadline here unless some of the veterans with NMCs say they want to be moved.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
I agree with what Prongo said. Something big is happening at the draft this year for better or worse. I hope the deadline is fairly silent for us. Move Mez/Downie/Gill if you can.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I agree with what Prongo said. Something big is happening at the draft this year for better or worse. I hope the deadline is fairly silent for us. Move Mez/Downie/Gill if you can.

I would move Mez and Downie. Downie to a team maybe like Edmonton actually so they can get a jump on trying to sign him and seeing if he would like it there. They need a player who can play the way he does. We could always look elsewhere though. Mez won't garner much in return, but he could probably get us a 3rd rounder from a team desperate for depth on the back end. Maybe, just maybe he could get a second rounder if we somehow pin two teams against each other trying to trade for him. Highly unlikely though.

Also, look for something for Grossmann if possible. If the return is worth it, make a move. We need more puck movers.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I honestly think he is loading up for something big in the offseason. He is just waiting around for the season to get done and make something happen at the draft. He likes the core of this team, he really needs to find a replacement for Pronger. We get a #1, and this team is instantly a cup contender, just where are we getting it?

Similar to most trades, these things are discussed months in advance. I could see Homer making big waves at the draft. Last year the Schneider deal to New Jersey was done a good time before the draft I believe, they just kept it on the hush hush until they were picking.

The only thing is will Holmgren be employed in the offseason. If his job is on the line, would he just sit there and watch it go down the toilet? I mean they just hired his replacement to the staff before the season even started.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The only thing is will Holmgren be employed in the offseason. If his job is on the line, would he just sit there and watch it go down the toilet? I mean they just hired his replacement to the staff before the season even started.

I think he will be here. He will step down on his own terms, not when the fans want him to. Snider or Homer don't care about the backlash, they will make the moves they feel that is best for their organization regardless of what the fans think. We have seen this before.

I just think there will be some big moves coming, it is too apparent that we need more mobile defenseman, but more than that we need a 25 min guy who will be our next Pronger. I don't know who he will target, but I bet we will be mentioned in the rumor mill much more up to and during the draft.

I like Hextall being there, any advice Homer can get from another intelligent hockey mind is excellent for this team. He does have the final say, but there has to be a high level of input from all of his trusted companions.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
What Pronger-esque defenseman would even be available?

I'm hoping for nothing huge.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I think he will be here. He will step down on his own terms, not when the fans want him to. Snider or Homer don't care about the backlash, they will make the moves they feel that is best for their organization regardless of what the fans think. We have seen this before.

We have not seen this before, 2 straight years out the playoffs, since the 90's. I agree Snider doesn't care about the backlash, but losing valuable playoff revenue is another issue altogether. You might be right, but it's not like Snider is in love with Holmgren as much as he was with Clarke.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I really believe that if the Flyers are out of it by the deadline, it won't surprise me if they ask Timonen if he's willing to waive and they move him to a contender who has a legitimate shot at winning it all. One of Boston or Anaheim should come calling if that turns out to be the case....

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We have not seen this before, 2 straight years out the playoffs, since the 90's. I agree Snider doesn't care about the backlash, but losing valuable playoff revenue is another issue altogether. You might be right, but it's not like Snider is in love with Holmgren as much as he was with Clarke.

I wasn't talking about missing the playoffs, more about Homer and Snider doings things that the fans don't agree with. That's what they don't care about.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If they are in contention I could see them adding a piece. I know that people will be outraged if they make a trade that isn't considered "selling" at the deadline, but depending on what the deals are, I have no problem making a run (considering we are still in contention of course). Now, I am not advocating dealing any of our assets for a rental like a 1st for some scrub. This team is not that close. But if a move can be made to improve the team by dealing a piece of lesser value, I'd do it.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I hope he sells: Timonen, Lecavalier, Grossmann and Downie at the deadline for whatever we can get out of them, like:

To ANA
Timonen

To PHI
Theodore + 4rd round pick
or
Vatanen + 2nd Round pick
-----------------------------------------
To TOR
Steve Downie

To PHI
2014 second round pick
Andreas Johnson
-----------------------------------------
To STL
Vinny Lecavalier

To PHI
St. Louis 2015 1st round pick
Colton Parayko
---------------------------------------
To (I Don't Know)
Grossmann

To PHI
2014 2nd round or 3rd pick (I don't know his value)

I don't know if any of these trades would fly but... whatever.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Could be that he hired Hextall to take over because he planned on stepping down after this season anyway. If that's the case then he's probably not making trades because there's no reason to stir up a team that Hextall is going to take over and possibly want to change up himself.

tripler0425

Oct 20, 2006
Not sure if this would even happen, but if Vanek does not resign with the NYI would the Flyers have interest? It seems like NYI would trade him rather than risk losing him to UFA. He would like real nice on a line with Giroux and Voracek. What would be a reasonable offer for Vanek.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Could be that he hired Hextall to take over because he planned on stepping down after this season anyway. If that's the case then he's probably not making trades because there's no reason to stir up a team that Hextall is going to take over and possibly want to change up himself.

From what I've heard, Hextall and Holmgren have very similar views/styles, whatever you want to call it. It's very possible he'd make some changes, but I doubt he'd come in and shake things up in a huge way.

What could we get for a return on Timonen this year? I'd imagine his value is something like a good prospect/first round pick. I remember last year, it was rumored that Boston wanted Briere and was willing to deal Krug for him. Maybe he's still on the block. :sarcasm:

I'd be really interested in dealing with the Ducks. With Fowler, Lindholm, and Beauchemin already on the team, you'd think we might be able to get one of Theodore or Vatanen. But would they even be interested in Timonen? I don't watch enough Ducks games to know how he'd fit in over there.

Maybe something Like, Downie for Sbisa?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
From what I've heard, Hextall and Holmgren have very similar views/styles, whatever you want to call it. It's very possible he'd make some changes, but I doubt he'd come in and shake things up in a huge way.

What could we get for a return on Timonen this year? I'd imagine his value is something like a good prospect/first round pick. I remember last year, it was rumored that Boston wanted Briere and was willing to deal Krug for him. Maybe he's still on the block. :sarcasm:

I'd be really interested in dealing with the Ducks. With Fowler, Lindholm, and Beauchemin already on the team, you'd think we might be able to get one of Theodore or Vatanen. But would they even be interested in Timonen? I don't watch enough Ducks games to know how he'd fit in over there.

Maybe something Like, Downie for Sbisa?

No Sbisa. He's bad.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Has his play really fallen off that much? I know he's been injured, so I figured he might rebound a little bit.

He's struggled for a while now, not just this season, while facing the easiest competition. He's not the type of player the Flyers should be looking to add. Don't get me wrong they need young PMDs but not one that struggles so badly in his own end.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
He's struggled for a while now, not just this season, while facing the easiest competition. He's not the type of player the Flyers should be looking to add. Don't get me wrong they need young PMDs but not one that struggles so badly in his own end.

Gotcha. I figured he'd be a good depth guy to have around if we could get him for just Downie, but it sounds like a bad idea now.

And now that I think about it, the injury issues might come in to play for us as well. No point in trading for a player that's going to be out all the time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It will take the Flyers to lose every game from here on out until the deadline & do so in bad fashion for Homer & Snider to admit this team isn't a contender.

I wouldn't hold my breath for them to be sellers if anything they'll acquire another Pavel Kubina again.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
I think they try to sell Mesz and/or Downie and in doing so make room for a deadline acquisition. If Downie goes, a replacement player might be nice for the 3rd line. Any swap that can upgrade the defense - specifically involving Grossmann - might be nice. A righthanded defender would be ideal to pair with Mark Streit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad