GDT: Trade Deadline

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I wonder if Washington was considering trading Forsberg to Buffalo for Stafford plus a prospect. It still was a great end to the trade deadline with the anticipation that Washington was making a blockbuster trade and that Buffalo might be involved.

That would've completed a really good trade deadline for Regier.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I wonder if Washington was considering trading Forsberg to Buffalo for Stafford plus a prospect. It still was a great end to the trade deadline with the anticipation that Washington was making a blockbuster trade and that Buffalo might be involved.

That would have been fun. It's possible the Caps were dealing with Nash and Buffalo down to the wire and went with Nashville last minute. Who knows, though. The Internet blow-up was fun while it lasted.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

That's what I was thinking.... We could of got Flip Forsberg for Stafford plus a little more.... I looked up Erats numbers and he's basically Stafford but older...

Kind of disappointed we didn't get that done.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
That's what I was thinking.... We could of got Flip Forsberg for Stafford plus a little more.... I looked up Erats numbers and he's basically Stafford but older...

Yep, and Erat has two more years at $4.5M, so the money and term's close, too.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

No, he's Stafford but producing. GMGM made that move out of desperation to make the playoffs. Erat will put up points for Washington. Stafford might not have considering he's sucked all year. You can make all the comparisons you want, but Erat was the safer choice and the better player for this season, and this season is really all they were concerned about with that trade.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
No, he's Stafford but producing. GMGM made that move out of desperation to make the playoffs. Erat will put up points for Washington. Stafford might not have considering he's sucked all year. You can make all the comparisons you want, but Erat was the safer choice and the better player for this season, and this season is really all they were concerned about with that trade.

8 point difference to Erat... 1 more goal for Stafford...

I wouldn't call that a big enough difference if we were willing to part with something a little better.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Erat consistently produces on a team known for their defensive system, he leads the Preds in points almost every year I believe.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
8 point difference to Erat... 1 more goal for Stafford...

I wouldn't call that a big enough difference if we were willing to part with something a little better.

That's the equivalent of 20 points in a full season. 40 point player vs. a 60 point player. That's a big enough difference when the objective is points NOW.

nate1988

Apr 4, 2013
Denver, CO
I know eveybody wanted Staff gone, myself included but I think it's better off waiting until the offseason to deal him. He can't play much worse than he has already this season, and could possibly play his value up. And like others have mentioned, we can't totally gut all of our roster players, we have to have someone playing. I'll be surprised to see him on our opening night roster next season and I'm fine with waiting

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
That's the equivalent of 20 points in a full season. 40 point player vs. a 60 point player. That's a big enough difference when the objective is points NOW.

Considering I was going off your basis of who is playing better NOW ... the projections are a little pointless no?

Yes..Erat the better player... but I don't think its inconcievable that we could of sweetened it enough to get it done... which was my point.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Considering I was going off your basis of who is playing better NOW ... the projections are a little pointless no?

Yes..Erat the better player... but I don't think its inconcievable that we could of sweetened it enough to get it done... which was my point.

With what? Washington obviously wasn't interested in picks or prospects. If they were, they would've just kept Forsberg. What roster player are we adding to Stafford to add more points to Washington? Gerbe?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
With what? Washington obviously wasn't interested in picks or prospects. If they were, they would've just kept Forsberg. What roster player are we adding to Stafford to add more points to Washington? Gerbe?

Uh... didn't they take a prospect back in Latta?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Stafford averages more goals per 82 games then Erat, Erat more points. Erat scores 55 points/82 games Stafford 49 points / 82 games. Stafford is bigger , younger and cheaper.Staff also plays more SH then Erat too.No defending that trade, last June Forsberg was considered a top 7 draft prospect and a few months later he's dealt for a 2nd liner who turns 32 in August.

Stafford is really underrated around here, yeah he's been bad this year but he still scored 51 goals the two seasons prior. I would much rather have Stafford and a 2nd then Erat and Latta.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Uh... didn't they take a prospect back in Latta?

Yeah, but that wasn't the main reason they made the trade. Piling on picks and prospects doesn't make them better this year and it doesn't get them into the playoffs. You may not consider 8 extra points anything big, but when you're fighting for a playoff spot and need all the points you can get, they obviously are. Erat's better than Stafford, period.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, but that wasn't the main reason they made the trade. Piling on picks and prospects doesn't make them better this year and it doesn't get them into the playoffs. You may not consider 8 extra points anything big, but when you're fighting for a playoff spot and need all the points you can get, they obviously are. Erat's better than Stafford, period.

I guess you missed where I already stated that. Whatever. Not even worth arguing about it.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Stafford averages more goals per 82 games then Erat, Erat more points. Erat scores 55 points/82 games Stafford 49 points / 82 games. Stafford is bigger , younger and cheaper.Staff also plays more SH then Erat too.No defending that trade, last June Forsberg was considered a top 7 draft prospect and a few months later he's dealt for a 2nd liner who turns 32 in August.

Stafford is really underrated around here, yeah he's been bad this year but he still scored 51 goals the two seasons prior. I would much rather have Stafford and a 2nd then Erat and Latta.

Even when Stafford produces, it seems like he does so in streaks and bunches. It's enough to make you mad.

Bai, Jru!

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I know eveybody wanted Staff gone, myself included but I think it's better off waiting until the offseason to deal him. He can't play much worse than he has already this season, and could possibly play his value up. And like others have mentioned, we can't totally gut all of our roster players, we have to have someone playing. I'll be surprised to see him on our opening night roster next season and I'm fine with waiting

Apparently, Regier almost found a sucker to take Stafford:

The Montreal Canadiens and Winnipeg Jets, despite trade discussions with several teams, both ultimately stood pat on deadline day.

The Jets were reportedly talking to the Sabres about a deal that would send Alexander Burmistrov to Buffalo for right-winger Drew Stafford.

"It's one of those things where at different points in time you're talking lots of different players with lots of different teams and different scenarios," said Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff. "This is the group that earned the opportunity to be battling at this point in time for a playoff position."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419753

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Too bad that didn't happen, for whatever reason. We'd be loaded with talent down the middle after that trade. Not like Pens-level disgustingly talented, but still...

The problem is he was rushed into the NHL by Atlanta Thrashers management and has developed at a slow rate, while growing a bit of an aversion to coaching. Burmistrov doesn't like to listen to veteran teammates or the Jets coaching staff when they try to correct a flaw in his game.

"He doesn't like to be told what to do. He response is always, 'No respect, no respect,'" said one Jets veteran, when asked this season about Burmistrov. "His English isn't great and he gets his back up. He gets defensive. The only guy that can talk to him is Antro (Nik Antropov)."

Jets coach Claude Noel and Burmistrov had words on a few occasions this season and the player's exit meeting at season's end must have been interesting. There has been lots of talk within the organization about what is best for the player's development and the St. John's IceCaps have been mentioned more than once.

Do we really want a player like Burmistrov in our already divided locker room. Looks like the Jets want to get rid of him either way judging by there boards.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The problem is he was rushed into the NHL by Atlanta Thrashers management and has developed at a slow rate, while growing a bit of an aversion to coaching. Burmistrov doesn't like to listen to veteran teammates or the Jets coaching staff when they try to correct a flaw in his game.

"He doesn't like to be told what to do. He response is always, 'No respect, no respect,'" said one Jets veteran, when asked this season about Burmistrov. "His English isn't great and he gets his back up. He gets defensive. The only guy that can talk to him is Antro (Nik Antropov)."

Jets coach Claude Noel and Burmistrov had words on a few occasions this season and the player's exit meeting at season's end must have been interesting. There has been lots of talk within the organization about what is best for the player's development and the St. John's IceCaps have been mentioned more than once.

Do we really want a player like Burmistrov in our already divided locker room. Looks like the Jets want to get rid of him either way judging by there boards.

Hadn't seen anything about that before. We definitely don't need to bring in more character problems.

Seems like he'd be able to flourish in Detroit though. I bet if any veteran player could get him to wise up and act right, it's Datsyuk.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Hadn't seen anything about that before. We definitely don't need to bring in more character problems.

Seems like he'd be able to flourish in Detroit though. I bet if any veteran player could get him to wise up and act right, it's Datsyuk.
Datsyuk would probably help him out a lot because he's the reason Burmistrov is in the NHL.

Here's the story:
Some people try to do good deeds and tell the whole world about them. Others just do the good deeds without waiving a flag and pleas for Twitter followers.

Here’s a story for you about one of the most humble people - Red Wings forward Pavel Datsyuk and how his good deed possibly went further than he thought it would himself.

About 10 years or so ago there was a young boy who lived in the Russian city of Kazan. His name was Alexander. Even though he was about eight at the time, he excelled in hockey. Unfortunately, there were problems with hockey equipment, or lack thereof. So some friends asked Pavel Datsyuk to help. And he did, sending some professional hockey sticks and skates to the boy Datsyuk had never even met.

Right now that boy, who also happens to be a former first round draft pick, is a star forward for the Winnipeg Jets. His name is Alexander Burmistrov.
http://dchesnokov.tumblr.com/post/30056452315/good-deeds

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad