Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
No one. This is also the correct answer. Real talk: This team is two legitimate top-four defenseman and a sniping winger for Pavel away from being a true Stanley Cup contender. They can't achieve that status by acquiring players at the deadline. Thus, acquiring "rentals," even as high-profile as Iginla, would be pointless. I doubt they'd be the high-bidder on him anyway.

Here is what we know about the deadline:
-Difference making players are not usually available unless they are a pending free agent and unlikely to resign
-Difference makers that do become available are almost always forwards, not defenseman (Hossa, Kovalchuk, etc.). You need to go all the way back to Chelios, Bourque and Blake to see real high-impact D traded at the deadline.
-There are no good upcoming UFA defenseman. Hence, very few will be on the market.
-Those few that are on the market will be highly sought after. Legit, top 4 D are always in high demand. I don't want to overpay for a guy like Bryan Allen, Tomas Kaberle or Tim Gleason.

None of this takes into account the short season, and the likelihood that there will be even fewer sellers than usual at the deadline.

Pass.

-

Last edited:

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
No one. This is also the correct answer. Real talk: This team is two legitimate top-four defenseman and a sniping winger for Pavel away from being a true Stanley Cup contender. They can't achieve that status by acquiring players at the deadline. Thus, acquiring "rentals," even as high-profile as Iginla, would be pointless. I doubt they'd be the high-bidder on him anyway.

Here is what we know about the deadline:
-Difference making players are not usually available unless they are a pending free agent and unlikely to resign
-Difference makers that do become available are almost always forwards, not defenseman (Hossa, Kovalchuk, etc.). You need to go all the way back to Chelios, Bourque and Blake to see real high-impact D traded at the deadline.
-There are no good upcoming UFA defenseman. Hence, very few will be on the market.
-Those few that are on the market will be highly sought after. Legit, top 4 D are always in high demand. I don't want to overpay for a guy like Bryan Allen, Tomas Kaberle or Tim Gleason.

None of this takes into account the short season, and the likelihood that there will be even fewer sellers than usual at the deadline.

Pass.

-

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I really do. That being said, PK Subban is looking more and more every day that he and Montreal will be parting ways and I know I'm not alone in thinking he'd be a great addition to the Red Wings blue line. Depending on the price (that you have clearly outlined) he may be worth investing in.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Hamrlik looking like a likely candidate to be shipped to a contender to shore up someone's blueline. Would be the type of guy I'd be okay with adding, if the price is right.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Hamrlik
Quincey/Colaiacovo/Kindl/Lashoff/Huskins - White

or something.

Kindl + 2nd for Hamrlik + 4th?

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
Hamrlik looking like a likely candidate to be shipped to a contender to shore up someone's blueline. Would be the type of guy I'd be okay with adding, if the price is right.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - Hamrlik
Quincey/Colaiacovo/Kindl/Lashoff/Huskins - White

or something.

Kindl + 2nd for Hamrlik + 4th?

This is the kind of deal that I want to avoid. To describe Hamrlik as anything beyond "serviceable" at this point would be charitable. The guy has name recognition and used to be a minute eater, but now he's just a body.

I don't think adding him to our blueline does anything but add an extra body for "depth." I don't think it changes our status as likely first-round fodder. Giving up Kindl and a 2nd, in what people say is supposed to be a deep draft seems like harsh overpayment, imo.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
This is the kind of deal that I want to avoid. To describe Hamrlik as anything beyond "serviceable" at this point would be charitable. The guy has name recognition and used to be a minute eater, but now he's just a body.

I don't think adding him to our blueline does anything but add an extra body for "depth." I don't think it changes our status as likely first-round fodder. Giving up Kindl and a 2nd, in what people say is supposed to be a deep draft seems like harsh overpayment, imo.

I agree, but it is the type of trade (ballpark) that I think Holland would make. I wouldn't be heart broken if it happened. And why does it matter if we give our 2nd when we are just going to flip our 1st for 2 2nds anyway? ;)

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I really do. That being said, PK Subban is looking more and more every day that he and Montreal will be parting ways and I know I'm not alone in thinking he'd be a great addition to the Red Wings blue line. Depending on the price (that you have clearly outlined) he may be worth investing in.

Subban would be the kind of player that the Red Wings would most certainly be interested in acquiring. However, since signing his recent "bridge contract," I don't think Montreal has any interest in trading him. Unless you know something I do not, that ship has sailed.

Drunkspleen

Face of the company
Jun 22, 2009
Bear Country
Detroit should be selling at the deadline, Tatar has looked great in his few games, and Andersson has even looked good, on top of that we have Nyquist who should be ready to come up, then on the back end, Kindl is looking more competent than ever, Ericsson has stepped his game up big time, Lashoff surprised everyone, and we have guys like Ouellet and Sproul getting ready for a look in the NHL.

Detroit should be trying to acquire high end prospects or draft picks at this deadline and push for a youth movement now, rather than trying to for a last hoorah for an aging core and a likely departing Datsyuk.

Austin Wings Fan

Mar 9, 2010
I agree, but it is the type of trade (ballpark) that I think Holland would make. I wouldn't be heart broken if it happened. And why does it matter if we give our 2nd when we are just going to flip our 1st for 2 2nds anyway? ;)

Fair enough. I could definitely see Holland making this kind of deal in a year like 2007 or 2011, but I hope he would recognize the folly of such half-measures in a year like this one.

As painful as it was to whiff on Suter and Parise, Holland didn't panic and drastically overpay a guy like Carle or some other overpaid substitute. I'd like to think that there was an element of discipline in that. I expect the same when it comes to this trade deadline.

As for trading down, well :cry::cry:

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Subban would be the kind of player that the Red Wings would most certainly be interested in acquiring. However, since signing his recent "bridge contract," I don't think Montreal has any interest in trading him. Unless you know something I do not, that ship has sailed.

He's a RFA an he has shot down every proposal Montreal has made and are still worlds apart. They might very well be entertained in handing his rights to Detroit where the wings can work a contract out.
http://http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/26/canadiens-pk-subban-remain-far-apart-in-contract-talks

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Lets say we do something smart like I don't know, sell a few redundant bottom six guys.

What could we get for Miller?

What could we get for Eaves?

2nd or 3rd rounders be ok? (I have seen alot of 5th rounders for equal players, so maybe that is all we can get for them)?

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Thanks. Even still I think the wings could still make a fair trade with Montreal. If not i think a trade for Keith Yandle would be a great acquisition as well. Again I agree with many people on this thread in saying I don't think we need a panic trade. I'm sure any move for a top d man such as Subban or Yandle etc. will be made with careful consideration. Detroit has cap space and I expect them going into the draft with plenty remaining.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Lets say we do something smart like I don't know, sell a few redundant bottom six guys.

What could we get for Miller?

What could we get for Eaves?

2nd or 3rd rounders be ok? (I have seen alot of 5th rounders for equal players, so maybe that is all we can get for them)?

Being realistic, Eaves will not return us anything. Not after a long injury layoff, not by being an extra forward. Miller as a servicable bottom six player I believe is worth a mid-late pick, 4th or 5th sounds reasonable.

Dangle Kindl and Cleary too and see if there are any takers. They will not return us any roster players of use but maybe draft picks that we can use for some other move.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
It depends on what our injury situation looks like by then. Realistically, we've got to move some forwards. I would love to acquire a top 2 defensive-defenseman to play with Kronwall. Then Ericsson could play with Smith. This would allow Kronner and Smitty to freewheel a little more.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
BTW, Hudler has as many points as Filppula right now (seven), but Hudler has played six games to Filppula's 12 and Hudler, unlike Filppula, is the best player on his line.

And shouldn't the best player on the line have the most points?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If he trades our first for anyone other then a top two under 30 dman he is an idiot, period.

with that said I say the Caps, Flames, Isles, Sabres, Panthers and Avs will be the most active teams in terms of sellers.

We arent likely to find or land a top 6 young forward and most teams will be looking for our 1st rd pick at the minimum

Our best play would be to go after a young dman from a team maybe looking to sell off struggling players(Myers,) or change the culture of their team(Green) or enter a full rebuild(Bouwmeester) or for financial reasons(Yandle)

will these four actually be available, likely not, but they're probably 4 of the 5 or 6 possible good dman Holland could and should target that would not only help this season but for 4, 5, 6 seasons to come

the price will be pretty steep( a 1st, a good prospect and a roster player)

most likely KH will sit tight, try again on July 1st(or 4th i guess this year) and just go with what we have

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad