GDT: Trade Deadline - TSN vs Sportsnet - April 3rd, 5:00AM (TSN, SNET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I find it amusing how anything Shero does is treated positively and not even questioned. He trades for Morrow, Murray, Iginla and Jokinen — giving up some real good assets in the process — and he's considered god. I guarantee if Gillis gave up that much for those 4 players, there's a "Fire Gillis!" thread on this board.

Same.

That was a terrible trade him made for B.Morrow. The Murray trade wasn't very good either.

He got lucky Feaster decided to throw his players away for nothing, he saved his overall rep.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I find it amusing how anything Shero does is treated positively and not even questioned. He trades for Morrow, Murray, Iginla and Jokinen — giving up some real good assets in the process — and he's considered god. I guarantee if Gillis gave up that much for those 4 players, there's a "Fire Gillis!" thread on this board.

Because Shero is loading up for a Cup run? He saw some areas to improve his team and he went out and made the improvement.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Of those deals the only asset Pitt gave up who may come back to bite them is Joe Morrow. Picks are all going to be at the end of their respective rounds and the other prospects aren't that interesting. They're gunning for a cup this year and Shero being aggressive - but not stupid-aggressive like Philly/Holmgren - is a welcome sight.

Yeah I agree. I don't think PITT gave up anything of significant value while drastically improved their chances at a cup.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah I agree. I don't think PITT gave up anything of significant value while drastically improved their chances at a cup.

they made some good moves, but the Morrow trade and Murray trade were pretty bad imo. Overpaid for players that just aren't that good

trytobe

Nov 29, 2011
Would you be comfortable if MG had given up Jensen for Morrow?

Think Gaunce is a better comparable given that Jensen seems much closer to the big show than Joe Morrow is.

Could be wrong though - I don't follow prospects that closely.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Pens have a lot more depth in their prospect pool which is important to remember. Morrow doesn't equal Jensen IMO.

Joe Morrow is not the same calibre of a prospect as someone like Nicklas Jensen. Would I trade Brendan Gaunce for Brendan Morrow? Probably.

Think Gaunce is a better comparable given that Jensen seems much closer to the big show than Joe Morrow is.

Could be wrong though - I don't follow prospects that closely.

Funny Morrow was/is rated higher than Jensen on most prospect lists out there.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
they made some good moves, but the Morrow trade and Murray trade were pretty bad imo. Overpaid for players that just aren't that good

I am never a fan of parting with draft picks but statistically speaking those picks they gave up have a very low percentage of ever seeing the NHL. For a team like PITT it was worth it.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Not big on Pominville at a huge price. Should have taken a flier on Jussi...

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Two completely different situations. Pitt can afford to give up prospects like Morrow. We don't have Crosby and Malkin.

We have the Sedins and Kesler? And we have some depth in our forward pool, not quite at the Pens defense level but still.

I agree with what you are saying up it is a big price either way for an aging rental, Brendan is nothing more than a third liner at this point and I wouldn't have given up what we gave up for Roy for him let alone what the Pens gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad