Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Don't expect the cap to be raised another $10-20MM
I don’t? I know Pietrangelo will want a contract that starts with double digit cap hit but I also believe there are a few players who can be moved to help with absorbing that hit.

JVR is the obvious choice. Now, who will take him at that price? Not sure. Maybe Florida?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I don’t? I know Pietrangelo will want a contract that starts with double digit cap hit but I also believe there are a few players who can be moved to help with absorbing that hit.

JVR is the obvious choice. Now, who will take him at that price? Not sure. Maybe Florida?
Seattle

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

If Arizona moves/loses Hall, they might have some interest in Pigeon

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
JVR gets no respect, he's actually having a fine season:
On pace for 46 points, 36 at ES, the dysfunctional PP and bad puck luck have him slightly below his norm.
CF 53.83%, xGF 56.50%, CFrel +2.84, xGFrel +8.08 (highest on the team).

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We really one have one bad skater on the roster. Outside of Hagg, there’s no real issues as far as individuals play goes.

Braun has been fine, JVR has been good, Raffl/Laughton/Pitlick/NAK/Bunnaman have all ranged between “acceptable” and “good” at different times, and then there’s the obvious people who have been between “good” and “great”. Most problems have been caused by guys being used wrong, not that they’re individually bad players.

Reactions: Defect

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I'm not looking to cut that anchor free of NJD while it drags them into the Lard Abyss.
gUt34UO.jpg

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Not about JVR getting respect. It’s about having Pietrangelo or JVR, it’s a very simple answer. Also factor in that JVR probably only makes about 3 million less than Pietrangelo will make on his new deal it’s even an easier answer.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We are not subtracting from this team unless we lose every game from here to the deadline. The team has 7 Dmen that they are comfortable with playing and seemed to be fine with Friedman. Playoff teams want D depth and they have 8 guys they trust.

As for forwards, they obviously have the #3 C spot that they have not been happy with. Hell, you might even say teh #4C spot too. This stretch is to see if Frost convinces them he can be that center for the rest of the year and playoffs.

I still see them adding a C instead of just "settling" for what Frost provides and "hoping" on Patrick. I think they would rather get into a spot off too many centers than not enough.

I still think they go for a Tierney level type guy. Not someone who costs a ton like a Pageau, but someone who can play up or down in the lineup IF Frost and/or Patrick do exceed expectations.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I still see them adding a C instead of just "settling" for what Frost provides and "hoping" on Patrick. I think they would rather get into a spot off too many centers than not enough.

The challenge for Frost will be the linemates - what's the best combination that doesn't include G (if AV wants to keep him with Coots)?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The challenge for Frost will be the linemates - what's the best combination that doesn't include G (if AV wants to keep him with Coots)?
That same challenge will be there for his replacement if we do trade for one, or Patrick....or Frost going into the future. As the 3rd line, just win/play even against your matchup. They were on the ice for that weak Washington goal but certainly can't be blamed for the goal...it was on Elliott.

I think our lines will constantly change anyways.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

So are you planning on exposing Myers in the ED?

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Alec Martinez is #2 on the TSN Trade Bait board and I’m completely baffled by this. He hasn’t been a true difference-making defenseman since the last Kings Stanley Cup run/win.

I’m not crazy in thinking this right?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I came in here wondering about Braun - not certain if you guys want to miss with the defense much though. I feel like the Coyotes are desperate for a bigger body, and someone who could play 3rd line minutes. Myers looks like the real deal, so Braun seems like a possible odd man out.

With not much left available in picks, would something like Oesterle (LH 3rd pairing D who is a nice PP2 guy) and Hinostroza (RFA at season's end) be of interest? I know adding some forward depth is at the top of the list, but you want younger players with some term, as opposed to Grabner's term.

Is there anything that moves the needle between Philly and Arizona for Braun?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I came in here wondering about Braun - not certain if you guys want to miss with the defense much though. I feel like the Coyotes are desperate for a bigger body, and someone who could play 3rd line minutes. Myers looks like the real deal, so Braun seems like a possible odd man out.

With not much left available in picks, would something like Oesterle (LH 3rd pairing D who is a nice PP2 guy) and Hinostroza (RFA at season's end) be of interest? I know adding some forward depth is at the top of the list, but you want younger players with some term, as opposed to Grabner's term.

CAN WE INTEREST YOU IN A ROBERT HAGG, HE BARELY LEAKS AND HIS WINDSHIELD WIPERS ARE FRESH.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Talking about trading Braun is weird. They're 1 point out of a playoff spot, not 11 points out.

If did move him it would be for something like this. Restructuring things on D and changing handedness needs. But I don’t think they will do anything which is great.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
CAN WE INTEREST YOU IN A ROBERT HAGG, HE BARELY LEAKS AND HIS WINDSHIELD WIPERS ARE FRESH.

I really don't know if that is quite what is needed.

The Demers injury brings the right side down for the Coyotes, so someone like Hagg or Braun at 3/4 minutes to start, possibly - maybe between 17 and 19 per game with time on the PK. If he were right-handed, I would be all over Hagg. Because I believe that Arizona is looking to shore up the right side more than the left, I think this is where Braun was in my targets. Without Demers, Arizona has Ilya Lyubushkin as its only RHD, and he is in a 5/6 role, at best. Even if the Flyers were to trade a RHD, there are still two true RH shots on your defense. Oesterle shuffled in at RD here and there for Arizona, but I can't say that it was often or not and to what degree of success it came with. So, there is at least balance in trying to get a RHD, but it sounds like Braun would not be a preferred target as a rental.

I guess it would be dependent on a few things:

1. cap value - the Coyotes have little space to work with, so a combo of Oesterle/Hinostroza would still require about $1 - 1.5 M eaten by the Flyers. The Coyotes could part with a much later 2020 or 2021 draft pick (i.e. 4th round or later)
2. the Flyers interest in re-shuffling defensively. If it ain't broke, then no need to fix, but if there is a need for a little more offense from the back line, Braun for Oesterle might make sense. Don't let the numbers fool you - he has a lot more offense than one may think, looking at this year alone
3. the forward need for the Flyers. Is Hinostroza the type of player you would be looking at? He can be a presence on all facets (PP, ES, and PK, although I think you would want him on the PK over PP). Good top 9 guy. Grabner is also available, I would assume, but he is a shell of his former self since last year's eye injury. All other long term signings are either young pieces or players who would probably not be worth the value.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad