Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
If every Gm values him that low, we hold onto him then.

And there are a lot of teams desperate for D

Absolutely. Remember when so many people wanted Hagg off the roster so the coaching staff didn't have the chance to like him? Hagg playing his "A" game during a stretch when Ghost is out could set this franchise back years.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Do we know the price on a rental forward: C. Smith, Granlund, Toffoli?

Not sure if Nashville is selling or not, just identifying possible fits.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It couldn't set the franchise back years b/c Ghost is gone after next season, either traded or claimed in the ED.
And after that, York, Zamula, Kalynuk etc. will be fighting for the one top 4 slot open after 2021-22.

Fletcher will probably watch how the team handles the next six games, Cap game was a good start:
1) they get 9-10 points and Frost looks like he belongs, sit on your hands b/c what you have is good enough
2) they get 7-8 points, are in the playoff run and Frost looks like he's still a CHL player, add a veteran center but don't break the bank (Thorton?).
3) they get 3-4 points, are pretty much out of the playoff race, sell.

Given that Fletcher hasn't pulled the trigger with the injuries and the struggles at center in the bottom six tells me AV/Fletcher really don't think this is the year to make a big push - and I don't see that changing even if they make a run. Instead they seem to be evaluating talent at both the NHL and AHL level and setting themselves up for a summer of tweaking. The Patrick/Lindblom situation probably moved the schedule back a season, but the real problem is the goalies aren't ready.

Elliott isn't good enough to carry a team deep into the playoffs and Hart isn't ready to do so.

Reactions: Pantokrator

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Pls Fletcher don´t do anything stupid. No "Veterans" like Filpulla, the "Coccaine Machine" or Backup Goalies who dont play more than 3 games for us before he leaves.

Dont sell Ghost for a 4th line Center

Dont trade for a so called "important" 3rd line Center and paying 2 2nd or 1 1st Round Pick!

In my eyes we don´t need anything really. We need to grow together as a team and let the rookies rise with the growing tasks.

Use the draft picks for good new cost controlled player for the future. We will be a close to the cap for the next ten years with Hart, Giroux, Voracek, Provorov et al. So we will need a lot of young cost controlled players in the lineup if we will be a Top 5 Team in the league for the next years!
Who is Justin Braun of forwards? Frolik? Simmonds?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
With G moved back to wing it looks like the 3C will again be the biggest decision. Do they run with Frost and hope for a major improvement or do they look for a clearcut improvement like Bos did...which helped them to the finals

As for Patrick, I would call that a right off this year personally. It will not only take the guy sometime to get into game mode...but a notoriously slow starter to boot...I doubt that is any sort of answer for playoff hockey

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It couldn't set the franchise back years b/c Ghost is gone after next season, either traded or claimed in the ED.
And after that, York, Zamula, Kalynuk etc. will be fighting for the one top 4 slot open after 2021-22.

Fletcher will probably watch how the team handles the next six games, Cap game was a good start:
1) they get 9-10 points and Frost looks like he belongs, sit on your hands b/c what you have is good enough
2) they get 7-8 points, are in the playoff run and Frost looks like he's still a CHL player, add a veteran center but don't break the bank (Thorton?).
3) they get 3-4 points, are pretty much out of the playoff race, sell.

Given that Fletcher hasn't pulled the trigger with the injuries and the struggles at center in the bottom six tells me AV/Fletcher really don't think this is the year to make a big push - and I don't see that changing even if they make a run. Instead they seem to be evaluating talent at both the NHL and AHL level and setting themselves up for a summer of tweaking. The Patrick/Lindblom situation probably moved the schedule back a season, but the real problem is the goalies aren't ready.

Elliott isn't good enough to carry a team deep into the playoffs and Hart isn't ready to do so.

Why do you keep saying this when all points to the contrary

The massive moves this summer contradict that. Now you have AV constantly saying playoffs or bust...then reinforcing that ANYTHING can happen after that

Not to mention the ticket sales problem

A trade seams more likely than not

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Do we know the price on a rental forward: C. Smith, Granlund, Toffoli?

Not sure if Nashville is selling or not, just identifying possible fits.

Friedman apparently said he thinks Kreider is the only definite he sees that could yield a first rounder on the trade market.

The “issue” with the Flyers is they don’t have capspace though. So trades are going to be tough to fit in without subtracting cap off the roster somehow.

Whatever a person thinks of Gostisbehere as a player you still don’t treat him as a cap dump especially for a rental. He should still be viewed as an trade asset at a minimum. Otherwise that’s Paul Holmgren style asset management.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gotta disagree there. He won’t come at that price. I believe a 2nd rounder + middling prospect would get it done.

Not with so many teams interested. Boston would beat that offer. Theyve needed a top 6 RW for like 2 years.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do you keep saying this when all points to the contrary

The massive moves this summer contradict that. Now you have AV constantly saying playoffs or bust...then reinforcing that ANYTHING can happen after that

Not to mention the ticket sales problem

A trade seams more likely than not

Fletcher has had a center problem since the start of the season, and it was obvious Patrick wasn't the solution a few months ago.
Yet instead of making a move, he's had a parade of centers, Laughton, Raffl, Vorobyev, Rubtsov, Bunnaman, Frost, Giroux.
A GM who wants to make a playoff push doesn't let a major problem fester for months.

He acts more like a GM who doesn't want to make a move, and if forced to, will settle for a low cost patch.
Fletcher sure sounded like a guy who had regrets from his Minnesota days, referring to the Leddy trade and TDL trades, when he was hired.
I think he's far more patient this time around.

For all the moves over the summer, the #41 pick was the only asset he used (other than money) and he recouped that in the draft. Gudas was a 28 year old D-man on a one year deal, Hartman for Pitlick, Hayes was a FA.

As far as Scott, AV/Fletcher have the gravitas to restrain him, and the team playing competitive hockey against top competition should provide encouragement that they're on the right path.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’m just praying Pietrangelo gets to UFA. If there was only one move I make it would be to acquire him via free agency in the summer.

I am curious to see how much the cap will increase for next year.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I’m just praying Pietrangelo gets to UFA. If there was only one move I make it would be to acquire him via free agency in the summer.

If history repeats itself, it will be expected to go up by so much but actually go up by half of it.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Probably not enough for us to commit a double digit caphit long term contract. Guy is probably going to be looking for a contract similar to Karlsson.

For your health it’s probably better off he doesn’t reach UFA as I seriously doubt we can afford him.

RebusFlyer

May 21, 2017
why would the leafs give up kapenen for ghost? If you were the toronto GM would you make that trade?
Not so sure ghost has this perceived value around the league that he has on this flyer board. Dont think his contract is great nor valuable at this point.

Depends what the flyers are looking for to help the team. Seems like another wasted year for giroux jake and couturier from a team perspective.

Would you move Braun?

Don't see Braun having much trade value -- aging rental -- and that would 1) leave us thin at D, and 2) wouldn't address the expansion draft issue (which admittedly can be addressed next year) that keeping Ghost leaves us with four vs. three Ds to protect.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Well if Braun returned a high 2nd and a 3rd coming off of a down year, I'm sure he'd return a ~3rd round pick if they wanted to move him...but they won't. They'll add. They won't subtract.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Ugh, beating cancer?
I’m not him. I guess it’s just personal but I think a lot of people would do better with broader thing like kids wedding, playing again etc. Its not like you are fighting physically or even some bad guy. It’s just one your cells that went bad. But whatever works and I hope I never have to deal with it in my family.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
G Jake TK Hayes Coots Farabee JVR Patty Lindy Frost

With all of those top 9 forwards hopefully ready next year, I want Kapanen but theres no room......

Really like Pitlick Laughton And Kubes for 4th line and that doesn't mention Raffl.

Love Kapenen but idk how that works next year. If Ghost goes, we need a depth defensemen to finish the year.
Patrick you hope gets cleared and become a top 9 forward but that sure a isn't a lock. Oscar anything you get next year is a gift and should not be counted on ever again as top 9. Its cancer people. 1 out of 5 DIE from what Oscar has. Rooting for Oscar YES. Counting on? NO I get JVR is paid like top 9 and because of that you kind of have to play top 9 but Kapanen is a big time upgrade on JVR. Dream scenerio one more year of JVR offer a 2 and JVR is no longer krakken this roster.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I’m not him. I guess it’s just personal but I think a lot of people would do better with broader thing like kids wedding, playing again etc. Its not like you are fighting physically or even some bad guy. It’s just one your cells that went bad. But whatever works and I hope I never have to deal with it in my family.
Your wording here is absolutely terrible but your point is correct. I work in oncology and having something to push for in the future does help patients. But make no mistake, these patients are fighting something physically. Chemo is a devastating whole body poison. The radiation doses although targeted are lethal to tissue and can permanently harm organs and joints. He’s going to go thru hell with no guarantee he will live on the other end of it let alone ever play hockey again.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Your wording here is absolutely terrible but your point is correct. I work in oncology and having something to push for in the future does help patients. But make no mistake, these patients are fighting something physically. Chemo is a devastating whole body poison. The radiation doses although targeted are lethal to tissue and can permanently harm organs and joints. He’s going to go thru hell with no guarantee he will live on the other end of it let alone ever play hockey again.

Yes whatever works for that person. Personally, I know it would be effective to set a goal and fight for that. I’m sure he is going through at least chemo. I think I would adopt whatever strategy got me or loved one through it. Has to be absolutely brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad