Trade Deadline thread (new title to the former ‘is Jarmo done’ thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Wonder if Torts could revive either Duchene or Johansen to their former glory. Both are on terrible 8m deals so Preds would have to keep quite a bit of salary tho

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Wonder if Torts could revive either Duchene or Johansen to their former glory. Both are on terrible 8m deals so Preds would have to keep quite a bit of salary tho

There's not going to be much appetite for retention. I'm frankly not sure which one I'd want less - Joey because of how he was acting on his way out under Torts, or Duchene because he really badly wanted to be in Nashville and I'm not sure how he'd react if forced out.

* * *​
Forsberg not untouchable? Preds would be nice trade partner
The cost for Forsberg would be somewhat ruinous.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'd take Johansen back. He's the kind of player we need in terms of play style (playmaker, center, can play all situations), the issue is the same with him as when he left though in terms of compete level.

I don't expect him to return but I'd take him with 4 years left at 8m per.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Any insights on Granlund or Haula? If the Preds blow it up then it's more likely we get one of those guys to fill a hole rather than go after a bigger name.

There's not going to be much appetite for retention. I'm frankly not sure which one I'd want less - Joey because of how he was acting on his way out under Torts, or Duchene because he really badly wanted to be in Nashville and I'm not sure how he'd react if forced out.

Can Joey still play even? I can't imagine a player as inconsistent as him getting tolerated anywhere except a rebuilding squad where you can take games off. It won't be here. I have a feeling he'll go on LTIR before his contract is done, basically retire early.

Is it possible that the bloom has worn off for Duchene in Nashville? Is he enjoying this? The pinnacle of his career came in Columbus and he left on good terms, maybe he'd welcome a return. My bigger issue there is that he just isn't an $8m player. Nashville would have to retain or pay some assets to unload him.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Any insights on Granlund or Haula? If the Preds blow it up then it's more likely we get one of those guys to fill a hole rather than go after a bigger name.

Can Joey still play even? I can't imagine a player as inconsistent as him getting tolerated anywhere except a rebuilding squad where you can take games off. It won't be here. I have a feeling he'll go on LTIR before his contract is done, basically retire early.

Is it possible that the bloom has worn off for Duchene in Nashville? Is he enjoying this? The pinnacle of his career came in Columbus and he left on good terms, maybe he'd welcome a return. My bigger issue there is that he just isn't an $8m player. Nashville would have to retain or pay some assets to unload him.
I haven't looked at his analytics but I believe Duchene has enough left to make us a lot better if we were to reaquire him. I really enjoyed his play while he was here, and I feel like our system fit him well.

Overpaid for sure, but I would bet Nashville would retain some in order to get rid of 1/2 of Joey/Duchene.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'd take Johansen back. He's the kind of player we need in terms of play style (playmaker, center, can play all situations), the issue is the same with him as when he left though in terms of compete level.

No way. His contract is terrible. It would need to be post-buyout or with Nashville heavily retaining. We're entering a multi-year flat cap period (unless Seattle entering the league bumps it up - not sure of the particulars on that).

He's a 40 point player in his last 78 regular season games. This team isn't paying $8m for that. He turns 29 this summer and apparently he's already on the down slope of his production.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

I wonder if he only covered up the CBJ logo on his basketball court. He probably painted it

That bridge is burned IMO

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Johanson would be a disaster with Torts. Heck Ryan was lazy with a far more accommodating HC. As much as I despise Duchene, I would take him back if the Preds eat some salary. He is a good center and would give us a legit 1C.

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Johanson would be a disaster with Torts. Heck Ryan was lazy with a far more accommodating HC. As much as I despise Duchene, I would take him back if the Preds eat some salary. He is a good center and would give us a legit 1C.
Johansen WAS a disaster under Torts. Don't forget he was here when Todd Richards was fired and Torts was brought in.

Reactions: Jive Pawnbroker

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I understand the apprehension on bringing back Joey, but I just want to point out he’s younger, better defensively and at faceoffs, and is a better playoff player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Granlund is the one they should go after. 3.75 cap hit and ufa after this season. Laine-Granlund-Bjorkstrand

I noticed he was centering Forsberg last game, any reviews on how he looked there? Granlund has barely played center in the last five years. We just had Wild fans telling us that he was never that good at center but that was ages ago.

Like who ? Duchene or Johansen ? Screw both of them

I wasn't thinking of a Nashville Predator center. None of them have any value/cost compared to Forsberg anyways. But implicitly if you have the assets to pay for Forsberg you can get a pretty good center from some other team for that same package.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I noticed he was centering Forsberg last game, any reviews on how he looked there? Granlund has barely played center in the last five years. We just had Wild fans telling us that he was never that good at center but that was ages ago.

He was the 2nd line center behind Koivu from 13-14 to 15-16 and had 1 point less than Koivu 5v5 in 14 less games and 2nd line minutes.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't think Preds will trade their players to the teams of our division. So maybe we should look at others. I would like to see J.T. Miller or Sean Couture here but it's only a dream. Although... Canucks has still Horvat and Pettersson but problems with defensmen so maybe Miller for Werenski/Jones.
Of course Pettersson would be better but I doubt Vancouver would trade him. Besides his contract is to the end this season.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Preds won’t trade in their real division, but trading to teams like us or the Florida teams or Carolina would help them tank this year (if that is the plan) without long run issues. That said, I don’t see us as trading partners for the Preds.

Reactions: VeseleTlacovky

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was the 2nd line center behind Koivu from 13-14 to 15-16 and had 1 point less than Koivu 5v5 in 14 less games and 2nd line minutes.

That does make me more interested in acquiring Granlund.

One issue is that I'm sure some teams will be offering their late 1sts to rent him, and I don't think the Jackets will want to get in that bidding war. The Preds would have to be open to a player swap (i.e. Domi for Granlund), because we're not in a position to be paying in picks/prospects.

If we had the assets to get Forsberg we would have used them for a center already considering how long we’ve been looking for one.

We've had a clear demand for a center since 1) the PLD trade, and 2) we gave up on Domi at C. That was only a month ago, and that time span in the early season is the hardest time to make a deal like that. No one is selling until their plan A blows up. Nashville, Calgary, and Buffalo are the three teams everyone is talking about as soon-to-be sellers, but they haven't even started selling yet. Trading hasn't started yet.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd say he still isn't, but right now I'm grumpy about everything Preds (I'm actually waiting to see Hynes fired now, which... well, those of y'all who know me know that I tend to be the one speaking strongly against demanding that heads roll, so :D ) so maybe my judgment on some Preds players right now is less than clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad