Trade Deadline Thread (March 3)

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
collecting information from the other markets my interpretation of the Chychrun trade

Armstrong had a value that was universally rejected by GMs
Armstrong thought he could strong arm the value by dragging out trade talks
Trade talks among at least 3 other teams got very heated
at the end of the day everyone was so pissed off that Armstrong that they gave him take it or leave it deals and Armstrong decided to do right by Chychrun instead of letting a GM he was mad at win

Reactions: Jacob582

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
They had no interest in trading this year's first. They offered prospects instead.
That's simply dumb on Adams' part then & absolutely doesn't give him a pass in my eyes.

I assume the prospects offered were Ostlund/Rosen then? Feasible that Arizona weren't high on either...

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
They have a team in a playoff spot by points percentage with the longest drought in NHL history and have $78 MILLION in available cap space that goes away forever in less than 3 hours.

where is any proof they aren’t cheap?

Spending money doesnt guarantee results, just look at education as an example.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012

i want to add a qualifier

it sounded to me like Adams felt arizona wanted a lot more from buffalo, I interpret it as adams like a prospect much more than arizona

but listening to other gms who were asked it sounds like armstrong was doing that to a lot of teams

Ill stand by my armstrong was being rediculous and it ended up biting him

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
People assuming Adams got emotional an ruined the chance at chychrun. How many teams were in on him at the beginning? 8-10? All of them moved on to other options quickly except Ottawa. Seems more likely Armstrong was the one being emotional and spurning potential suitors.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009

it sounded to me like Adams felt arizona wanted a lot more from buffalo, I interpret it as adams like a prospect much more than arizona

but listening to other gms who were asked it sounds like armstrong was doing that to a lot of teams
Yeah, that’s probably it. Hope he’s right and not just miserly.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
Yeah, that’s probably it. Hope he’s right and not just miserly.
if his argument was im not trading my first but heres a player drafted in the first... meh

if the argument was peterka is worth more than a 1st right now and armstrong said no... cant negotiate with the insane

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
if his argument was im not trading my first but heres a player drafted in the first... meh

if the argument was peterka is worth more than a 1st right now and armstrong said no... cant negotiate with the insane

My intution is something like this:

KA: We'll give you a conditional 1st this year that converts to a unconditional 2024 1st.
DA: Fine, then Savoie or Kulich in as well.
KA: LOLNO.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Push Dr Tracksuit

Jun 9, 2012
People assuming Adams got emotional an ruined the chance at chychrun. How many teams were in on him at the beginning? 8-10? All of them moved on to other options quickly except Ottawa. Seems more likely Armstrong was the one being emotional and spurning potential suitors.
maybe, doesnt get the sabres a top 4 dman

i think im to yes I would have like the goalie to make a save but i dont expect it

i would like adams to be great at dealing with personalities and at the end of the shit be the guy that armstrong goes "you were the least dick to me", but I also dont expect my GM to be able win friends and influence people at every turn

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021

Ill stand by my armstrong was being rediculous and it ended up biting him
We were hard on Chychrun not being done, but I don't let one of these two go either, and it stings

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Adams was not saying Armstrong was being stupid or unreasonable. He was saying that when trades are being negotiated, teams have different assets, so its never apples to apples. He even used himself as an example when trading Eichel.

Armstrong was asking for something of comparable value to what he got out of Ottawa, but different, and Adams wasn't willing to do it. Maybe they wanted a prospect instead.

My argument is then give them the damn prospect, we have lots! Or up your offer in another way. He still could have outbid OTT without destroying the future.

Or make a deal for one of the other good defensemen available.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Adams was not saying Armstrong was being stupid or unreasonable. He was saying that when trades are being negotiated, teams have different assets, so its never apples to apples. He even used himself as an example when trading Eichel.

Armstrong was asking for something of comparable value to what he got out of Ottawa, but different, and Adams wasn't willing to do it. Maybe they wanted a prospect instead.

My argument is then give them the damn prospect, we have lots! Or up your offer in another way. He still could have outbid OTT without destroying the future.

Or make a deal for one of the other good defensemen available.
maybe a little of both after a re-listen tbh

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Disagree, heavily depends on the prospect. They want Kulich or Savoie you tell them to go take a flying leap.
Even if there’re originally asking that, if you say “I’ll give you exactly what Ottawa’s offering plus another second and a third” they aren’t turning that down.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
My intution is something like this:

KA: We'll give you a conditional 1st this year that converts to a unconditional 2024 1st.
DA: Fine, then Savoie or Kulich in as well.
KA: LOLNO.
I think your likely close, throw one of the 2nd's in there as well most likely. We were hard on KA for missing out and it stings, but most of us would not of done that deal either. For me Rosen, yes, but not those top two guys, "maybe" Ostlund but I'm pretty sure KA would said no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zman5778

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Even if there’re originally asking that, if you say “I’ll give you exactly what Ottawa’s offering plus another second and a third” they aren’t turning that down.
How do you know KA had that opportunity? This would rely upon KA knowing what Ottawa was offering prior to BA accepting the Ottawa deal. We have no indications that the Coyotes were shopping their potential deals with other teams around to different suitors.

It's just as likely it got late in discussions and Ottawa said "here is our final offer" and BA accepted it right then without taking it to KA first.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Disagree, heavily depends on the prospect. They want Kulich or Savoie you tell them to go take a flying leap.
I like those prospects too but you'd get to keep one of them, plus Rosen and Ostlund and Neuchev and our 23 1st and all the other stuff we have and will have.

And you can acquire a good scoring winger pretty much any time.

And you'd be set at D for a while.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Adams straight-up said that Armstrong wanted more out of Buffalo than they got out of Ottawa. And yes, they wanted our prospects.......and he sure seemed to imply that the guy(s) he was asking for were Savoie and/or Kulich, who were non-starters. And he sure seemed exasperated when confirming that Armstrong was asking more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad