Trade Deadline Talk | EVERYTHING IS HAPPENING Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
NSH has added 9 draft picks, Schaefer, and freed up 16MM of cap space on term deals in the span of 3 days.

Screen_Shot_2023-03-01_at_5.49.11_PM.png

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That Hall-Larsson trade is one of the weirdest trades ever. It was so ridiculed, but Larsson has been the better player for most of the time in the 7 years since that trade, and is the better player now. But in one crazy year, Hall won the MVP.

This team needed to hit a home run on some defenders to turn things around. This is them going for a home run. It's what they needed to do, and is way overdue. The question will be if this was the right target and the right fit and the right price. It will be fascinating to see how this develops. I don't love the target or the value, but it's bloody hard to find quality RHD and I don't hate it either. This is a *massive* test for their pro scouting chops which have been pretty good so far.

I am fully expecting them to start throwing around their remaining picks to add another D now.

How on earth they think this is appropriate as a bottom team in the NHL that isn't even close to the playoffs is incredible to me.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of another team actively "going for it" and moving out top pick assets when they have no prospect pool to try to ... uh, win a wildcard spot in 3 years? Is that best case scenario?

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the preds will probably be in the playoffs next year. they got all that for ekholm, jeannot and granlund none of whom are really huge losses

lawrence

May 19, 2012
There HAS to be more coming in the next few days after this shit, Watch them trade our third for a cap dump

nothing is happening man.

the goal is to pretend like they are trying to trade JT Miller and or Boeser.

but the price is so high that nothing realistic can be done. It's a smoke screen. It's staged.

they weren't wrong when they said they wanted a hockey trade for Horvat, as it looks right now, H'es been traded for a prospect a 25 year old winger and 25 year old dman and a 4th rounder.

come the press conference after the trade deadline the management has the excuse they really really really tried to make something happened, but nothing could have been done because it was never meant to be done.

this ownership has screwed the team over.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
One thing I find very concerning about Alvin is he is totally exaggerating the quality of assets he got back in trade when hes announcing it. The three 1sts bullshit, the Hronek top pairing statement. Lying through his teeth or totally delusional
where did he call Hronek a top pairing guy? would like to hear this, that's a bit of a reach to call him a top pairing guy

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
One thing I find very concerning about Alvin is he is totally exaggerating the quality of assets he got back in trade when hes announcing it. The three 1sts bullshit, the Hronek top pairing statement. Lying through his teeth or totally delusional

To be fair, what GM's don't do this?

Reactions: theKRAKhouse

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Hronek is a top pairing Dman this season. Like you are making up our own reasons to hate management.

Beauvillier is an NHL which is what you expect when you draft in the first round, Raty by all means would ahve been drafted in the first round if there was a redraft and a 1st round pick is a first round pick

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hronek is a top pairing Dman this season. Like you are making up our own reasons to hate management.

Beauvillier is an NHL which is what you expect when you draft in the first round, Raty by all means would ahve been drafted in the first round if there was a redraft and a 1st round pick is a first round pick

Walman and Seider are de facto the top pairing on Detroit. I will say that Hronek was certainly doing better when Walman was on his line and not Chiarot.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA
I think the notion that they have to do this because of Petterson and Hughes age/contract situation is wrong. It assumes that no playoffs = no signature.

Players aren't idiots. You can sell them on a process or a plan. Say hey, this thing we've been doing since 2014 hasn't worked, we're going to focus on hitting the draft hard and rebuilding for a couple of years to get you the help you need. Sure, that might not fly. However, in the context of where this team is at now at the bottom of ths standings, I think that's more likely to actually get buy in than burning all our assets to maybe scrape the play-offs. If we make this trades and we're still bad (likely), what does that say?

I agree in a couple of years we might have to commit to trading Petterson or Hughes if this team hasn't had or isn't looking like it is in a position for sustained success. Would we rather do that with a bunch of prospects coming through or a bunch of 27 year olds on UFA contracts and no prospects.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
It's a GMs Job to sell, Benning did it whenever he dropped a 2nd on a busting prospect or Burke's goalie of the future. Alvin isn't very good at it, makes you question if he knows what he is doing.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Ill be honest, I don't care what the GM says to the media when it comes to their acquisitions. They're salesmen selling their new stuff to the fanbase. Bennings problem was never that he sounded dumb, or exaggerated, or anything; it's that the consistent content of his speech aligned with the content of his actions, in that they consistently indicated being an incredibly stupid person.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
If we drafted a RD at 13 and he began his career averaging 22 minutes a night over 5 years from ages 20 to 25 with good all around play.... we would be ecstatic.

There is moving a 1st for OEL/Garland and there is moving a 1st for JT Miller. Can we all agree one of those worked out? Even if you didn't want to keep Miller, we got years of ~ppg play then the option to trade for multiple 1sts of value or re-sign.

If you've been looking around the league for RD to add, there are sooo few options. We spent a 1st but finally addressed our single biggest positional issue head-on.

Finally, this 1st we traded - it has been talked about as pick 13 but it is not that. Best case it is pick 13... or perhaps best case is the isles get #12 this year and #1 next year. Worst case is the Isles get the pick this year and go on a playoff run next year just like we did with the Miller pick.

We just traded the pick for ~13 pick value. Compare to what the Isles moved for Romanov who really hasn't been the same level of player as Hronek to start their career. We essentially sold high on the pick before having to see where it landed.

Moving Horvat and a 2nd for Hronek, Beauvillier, Raty and a 4th looks pretty decent to me.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I was going into this deadline excited as ever. Everything seemed to be going perfectly.
Horvat traded for a young roster player, very good prospect and a 1st round draft pick in a strong draft.
Allvin then trades away defensive meltdown Stillman for a B level prospect.
Schenn receives his value a 3rd round pick.

Then Allvin decides to go All-in for Hronek. Losing NYI 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder in a strong draft.
I went from excited to terrified on what the next trade will be. I'm not even sure I want anymore trades to be made.

It looks as if the Canucks management is content with having one of the worst prospect pools in the league. Management should be collecting picks and shedding salary.
Nashville seems to know what's going on. They quickly came to the realization that they are mediocre. They're shedding salary and collecting picks like crazy. Unfortunately after 10+ years of Canucks failure, the idiots that run our organisation still don't realize that we are mediocre.

It never ends.

Takumi3000

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Such a dark day to be a Canucks fan after seeing what transpired today. There was finally a sliver of light/hope coming in through the crack and now it’s complete despair. My heart sank after seeing the Hronek trade

Instead of hoping for more deals I’m actually concerned they will trade away our own 1st this year. Who am I kidding. I don’t really care anymore. Feels like we are all just watching another re-run of the past decade of the Benning era.

Instead of learning from all the mistakes that were made previously, it feels like this new management group has no memory of the past decade and are here to just repeat all the same mistakes all over again. This is true despair

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
So just what the f*** are we doing?

Add an offensive 2nd pairing Dman for a midround 1st and a high 2nd, where does that get us?

What is the point here? Do we actually think these kinds of moves can build a team that can compete with the likes of upcoming teams like NJ or LA in the next few years? Can anyone give me an example of a team perpetually accidently losing & "retooling" like this that ended up anywhere even close to a contender? Why is just making the playoffs the goal? That is Benning shit.

As for the trade itself, everyone liked the Horvat trade because it brought it an asset that had the potential to be huge. It had a decent possibility of ending up as an unprotected 2024, or a 2023 just outside the top 10. Now suddenly that is all forgotten? Apparently by everyone but Yzerman. Plus adding our own 2nd!

Time is flat circle, same shit different GM

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Ill let Peter Griffin explain this for the people who obviously dont understand how draft picks work

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think the notion that they have to do this because of Petterson and Hughes age/contract situation is wrong. It assumes that no playoffs = no signature.

Players aren't idiots. You can sell them on a process or a plan. Say hey, this thing we've been doing since 2014 hasn't worked, we're going to focus on hitting the draft hard and rebuilding for a couple of years to get you the help you need. Sure, that might not fly. However, in the context of where this team is at now at the bottom of ths standings, I think that's more likely to actually get buy in than burning all our assets to maybe scrape the play-offs. If we make this trades and we're still bad (likely), what does that say?

I agree in a couple of years we might have to commit to trading Petterson or Hughes if this team hasn't had or isn't looking like it is in a position for sustained success. Would we rather do that with a bunch of prospects coming through or a bunch of 27 year olds on UFA contracts and no prospects.

Yup, exactly that. The players don't exist in a vacuum. They can smell the desperation like everyone else in this market. They can hear the "sell the team" chants.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
If we drafted a RD at 13 and he began his career averaging 22 minutes a night over 5 years from ages 20 to 25 with good all around play.... we would be ecstatic.

There is moving a 1st for OEL/Garland and there is moving a 1st for JT Miller. Can we all agree one of those worked out? Even if you didn't want to keep Miller, we got years of ~ppg play then the option to trade for multiple 1sts of value or re-sign.

If you've been looking around the league for RD to add, there are sooo few options. We spent a 1st but finally addressed our single biggest positional issue head-on.

Finally, this 1st we traded - it has been talked about as pick 13 but it is not that. Best case it is pick 13... or perhaps best case is the isles get #12 this year and #1 next year. Worst case is the Isles get the pick this year and go on a playoff run next year just like we did with the Miller pick.

We just traded the pick for ~13 pick value. Compare to what the Isles moved for Romanov who really hasn't been the same level of player as Hronek to start their career. We essentially sold high on the pick before having to see where it landed.

Moving Horvat and a 2nd for Hronek, Beauvillier, Raty and a 4th looks pretty decent to me.
Not a huge fan of the trade but you definitely make some sense out of it.

Reactions: JohnHodgson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad