GDT: Trade Deadline (Friday, March 8 @ 3PM) Thread

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Sabres fan coming in peace...

Replying not to joshjull (actually, he'll understand exactly what I've saying) but to the posters who are disappointed in Kevyn from Accounting's (thanks @TehDoak, nice moniker) statements. I am on vacation this week, have kept up on mobile, but haven't listened to any direct press statements, etc. but many have responded negatively to Adams public statements.

Ask yourself what good he does by publicly stating the truth?

What if he publicly says he has no faith in the current youngsters to ever develop enough internally to get over the hump and play as a team and make the playoffs? What good does that public disclosure do to motivate the remaining team?

What if he publicly declares the guys he gave high-dollar long-term deals to aren't earning it?

"Looking for a 4th line center" signals to Krebs he's going to get a shot at a bigger role.

If Kevyn declares he needs big changes in the top forwards, on top of the non-stellar years they are already having, one or more adjectives describing each of their seasons to date as inconsistent, setbacks, under-achievements, beset by injuries, etc., then he dramatically weakens his trading position for any offseason deals and doubles the price he needs to pay for whomever he tries to bring in, regardless of whether the player he targets is available or not.

It just doesn't make sense for him to bid against himself for any potential offseason acquisitions, and anything other than the pablum he declared this afternoon would be bidding against himself.

============
As I see it:

Thompson - often skates like a drunken baby giraffe, doesn't widen his stance, easily pushed off the puck, not good at winning corner battles, can't pass / distribute like a #1C should be able to. Too easy for opponents to shut down. I don't see him leading a team - any team - on a deep playoff run. There is nothing in his game which screams "must have" for Sabres to challenge for the Cup.
Tuch - one of the few Sabres who can win a corner battle. You can stay in BUF as long as you want, has had a rough year, am hoping an underlying injury is responsible. Hoping he can put on 10-15 pounds as I think it would help his stamina for a full season. Players like him need to be added to the roster.
Skinner - Is what he is. A complementary piece on a playoff team. Nothing essential.
Cozens - hot and cold. I agree he'd be better on the wing, but they can't afford to not play him at center.
Peterka - has a lot of burst, and fun to watch, but disappears in his own zone, or arrives below the faceoff hashmarks after the puck is behind his own goalie.
Quinn - heal up. You can stay in BUF.
Greenway - Outplayed expectations since joining BUF a year ago. You can stay in BUF. Always gives the effort, and with frequent good results in all zones.
Girgensons - You're welcome back if you want it. If you resign, I'm sure your psychiatrist will write a JAMA article on you someday.
Krebs - Stop tapping your stick on the ice every time you dish it then want the puck off the rush in the attacking zone. If your teammates felt you wouldn't turn it over, they'd return-pass it to you.
Benson - Nice job rookie. Can we brain-transfuse just a little but of yours to a half-dozen of your teammates?
Robinson - Excellent example of how a waiver acquisition can earn a spot on the Sabres roster from north-south responsible play. Hope he re-signs.

Dahlin - the only current BUF player essential for a deep playoff run.
Samuelsson - heal up. ~$4M per when healthy is a fine value deal.
Power - nothing about your game screams "must have", especially at $8+M per year starting next year. Big but not physical (and I don't mean hitting, I mean pushing guys off the puck or taking a stance and claiming the ice down low and preventing guys from moving you out of the way). Too often caught 1-step too late when the puck is in the back of his own goal.
Joker - good year. Can you play like that next year.
Bryson - Kevyn did you a solid with that poison-pill 2-year contract to keep you getting plucked off waivers. Never again. (although you haven't been bad once injuries hit the rest of the d-corps).
Ryan Johnson - thanks for signing, you can stay in BUF (waived to ROC today for AHL playoffs, I assume?)
Clifton - I thought you were fine this year.

UPL - showed us you can handle a workload at a decently high level of performance. Can you repeat?
Levi - showed us you need games, and they'll have to be in the AHL for now.
Comrie - showed us you like Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Donnie G. - showed us you have a long way to go with this squad, and that you may not be up to the task. Perhaps my personal biggest enigma, especially after last year's growth from the team.
I think there is a middle ground. Something to the effect of:
It has been a disappointing season. We expected more from the group here. While we have had unfortunate injuries, they are part of the game and provide opportunities for others to step up. We did not see enough of that. We saw an opportunity to upgrade our roster. Unfortunately you have to give to get. Casey was having a great year and we would loved to have had him in the fold but that was the ask for a defenseman we see as a future stalwart.

We have assessed the state of the team. We are committed to winning. We will likely have to make difficult decisions going forward. We believe in players who want to be here. As long as they are committed to helping this team win. There will be competition internally for ice time and roles. If it is apparent that we do not have what we need we will go outside to get it. We are in a great position to make the team better and help it become a playoff team and championship contender.

No one thrown under the bus. Accepts responsibility for underperforming. Puts everyone on notice that no one is safe. And here is the kicker: even if he doesn’t plan on doing anything, he at least gives the fan base the illusion of accountability. More people are willing to give someone who admits a mostake a second chance then they are someone who sells all is fine, nothing to see here. KA may not think there is anything to see here but it establishes a baseline to hold him to. If he succeeds doing it his way, he wins. If he needs to change tack, he wins.

Reactions: kirby11

Deleted member 347444

Not sure how much more clearly I can explain it.

Oloffson isn’t that good of a player, and his one strength, usually a hot commodity in the league, isn’t good enough for teams to overlook with the lack of his overall game.
Again... that is your opinion and it is not necessarily correct. I have presented my arguments relatively well, but you still come up with counterarguments that are only based on your opinion but have little to do with the facts. We can continue to discuss this here forever, you won't have the last word😉

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Sabres fan coming in peace...

Replying not to joshjull (actually, he'll understand exactly what I've saying) but to the posters who are disappointed in Kevyn from Accounting's (thanks @TehDoak, nice moniker) statements. I am on vacation this week, have kept up on mobile, but haven't listened to any direct press statements, etc. but many have responded negatively to Adams public statements.

Ask yourself what good he does by publicly stating the truth?

What if he publicly says he has no faith in the current youngsters to ever develop enough internally to get over the hump and play as a team and make the playoffs? What good does that public disclosure do to motivate the remaining team?

What if he publicly declares the guys he gave high-dollar long-term deals to aren't earning it?

"Looking for a 4th line center" signals to Krebs he's going to get a shot at a bigger role.

If Kevyn declares he needs big changes in the top forwards, on top of the non-stellar years they are already having, one or more adjectives describing each of their seasons to date as inconsistent, setbacks, under-achievements, beset by injuries, etc., then he dramatically weakens his trading position for any offseason deals and doubles the price he needs to pay for whomever he tries to bring in, regardless of whether the player he targets is available or not.

It just doesn't make sense for him to bid against himself for any potential offseason acquisitions, and anything other than the pablum he declared this afternoon would be bidding against himself.

============
As I see it:

Thompson - often skates like a drunken baby giraffe, doesn't widen his stance, easily pushed off the puck, not good at winning corner battles, can't pass / distribute like a #1C should be able to. Too easy for opponents to shut down. I don't see him leading a team - any team - on a deep playoff run. There is nothing in his game which screams "must have" for Sabres to challenge for the Cup.
Tuch - one of the few Sabres who can win a corner battle. You can stay in BUF as long as you want, has had a rough year, am hoping an underlying injury is responsible. Hoping he can put on 10-15 pounds as I think it would help his stamina for a full season. Players like him need to be added to the roster.
Skinner - Is what he is. A complementary piece on a playoff team. Nothing essential.
Cozens - hot and cold. I agree he'd be better on the wing, but they can't afford to not play him at center.
Peterka - has a lot of burst, and fun to watch, but disappears in his own zone, or arrives below the faceoff hashmarks after the puck is behind his own goalie.
Quinn - heal up. You can stay in BUF.
Greenway - Outplayed expectations since joining BUF a year ago. You can stay in BUF. Always gives the effort, and with frequent good results in all zones.
Girgensons - You're welcome back if you want it. If you resign, I'm sure your psychiatrist will write a JAMA article on you someday.
Krebs - Stop tapping your stick on the ice every time you dish it then want the puck off the rush in the attacking zone. If your teammates felt you wouldn't turn it over, they'd return-pass it to you.
Benson - Nice job rookie. Can we brain-transfuse just a little but of yours to a half-dozen of your teammates?
Robinson - Excellent example of how a waiver acquisition can earn a spot on the Sabres roster from north-south responsible play. Hope he re-signs.

Dahlin - the only current BUF player essential for a deep playoff run.
Samuelsson - heal up. ~$4M per when healthy is a fine value deal.
Power - nothing about your game screams "must have", especially at $8+M per year starting next year. Big but not physical (and I don't mean hitting, I mean pushing guys off the puck or taking a stance and claiming the ice down low and preventing guys from moving you out of the way). Too often caught 1-step too late when the puck is in the back of his own goal.
Joker - good year. Can you play like that next year.
Bryson - Kevyn did you a solid with that poison-pill 2-year contract to keep you getting plucked off waivers. Never again. (although you haven't been bad once injuries hit the rest of the d-corps).
Ryan Johnson - thanks for signing, you can stay in BUF (waived to ROC today for AHL playoffs, I assume?)
Clifton - I thought you were fine this year.

UPL - showed us you can handle a workload at a decently high level of performance. Can you repeat?
Levi - showed us you need games, and they'll have to be in the AHL for now.
Comrie - showed us you like Elizabeth Barrett Browning.

Donnie G. - showed us you have a long way to go with this squad, and that you may not be up to the task. Perhaps my personal biggest enigma, especially after last year's growth from the team.
Hey, I'M the one who coined the Kevyn From Accounting moniker!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Again... that is your opinion and it is not necessarily correct. I have presented my arguments relatively well, but you still come up with counterarguments that are only based on your opinion but have little to do with the facts. We can continue to discuss this here forever, you won't have the last word😉

Idk..probably the biggest fact that shows you're wrong is that Okposo was actually traded because a team wanted him.. and VO was unable to be traded because nobody wanted him currently

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
What facts were you bringing to the table, and what was your argument about why teams didn’t acquire Oloffson, because I’m stating things that pertain to that.

Deleted member 347444

Idk..probably the biggest fact that shows you're wrong is that Okposo was actually traded because a team wanted him.. and VO was unable to be traded because nobody wanted him currently
Maybe Adams had offers for Oloffson, but didn't agree because the value in return was too little😉 You do not even know that. Don't make yourself smarter than you actually are😉

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe Adams had offers for Oloffson, but didn't agree because the value in return was too little😉 You do not even know that. Don't make yourself smarter than you actually are😉

Did you even listen to Adams presser? Lol

I feel like I'm being gaslit

Deleted member 347444

What facts were you bringing to the table, and what was your argument about why teams didn’t acquire Oloffson, because I’m stating things that pertain to that.
No, you don't. You have an opinion and think it is the only right one. But these are not facts, two completely different things😉

Did you even listen to Adams presser? Lol

I feel like I'm being gaslit
Do you actually think that adams mentioned everything in the press conference?! then you're even smarter than I thought🤣 you made my day👌😂

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Out:
Casey Mittelstadt
Kyle Okposo
Erik Johnson
Devin Cooley

In:
Bowen Byram
Calle Själin
Flyers 2024 4th round pick
Panthers 2024 7th round pick (conditionally a 5th in 2024 if the Panthers win the Cup)
Capitals 2025 7th round pick

So a shuffle of forward to defense, out with some expiring vets and cleaning up the AHL crease to just a 2-man rotation. Sort of average as things go, though that could shift if someone pops off elsewhere.

Reactions: Ehran

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
What value is too little to move a player making 4 million that the team doesn’t use? Future considerations at 50% retention would have been a win.

Reactions: Chainshot

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I’m amazed that in the year of our lord 2024 that Chad Ruhwedel and Colin Miller are still each worth a 4th.

Deleted member 347444

What value is too little to move a player making 4 million that the team doesn’t use? Future considerations at 50% retention would have been a win.
Maybe Adams is still counting on the playoffs and that's why he didn't give up Olofsson. just like Girgenson's. In the end, nobody knows. This know-it-all attitude here from some people who think their logic is the only correct one even though they don't know what's happening behind the scenes is very amusing😁

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’m amazed that in the year of our lord 2024 that Chad Ruhwedel and Colin Miller are still each worth a 4th.

Right shot defensemen, easy. And they have been better where they are than they were here in Buffalo.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
No new insights gained.

They talked about the future. Always the future.

They bigged up the Byram, doing a Oky a well-deserved solid, and getting a 4th for EJ.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’m surprised they include Adams defeatedly saying “no retention” when telling the room he had an offer on Okposo. We have to do right by the player…but not if it costs a single penny of the precious. Even when sending him out saves money either way.

On the other side watching him bluff Briere into a 4th for a disaster of a player was entertaining

Would have been nice to have anything on the actual deal coming together on Byram. But I assume they didn’t have the cameras on that early. With the way deadlines have gone the last couple years…need to start filming earlier.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Was shocked to see they included such a candid conversation between Adams and Pegula

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Hoo boy the state run media machine is strong

1. I don’t think they mentioned mittelstadt once.
2. Granato coming in to tell them how much Dahlin loves Bryam in front of the rolling cameras seemed almost staged.

I get it, it’s the Sabres production so it’s going to make the Sabres look good. Just felt a bit over the top.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad