Speculation: Trade Deadline Episode II - zzzzzzzzzzz

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He would have cost us Schmaltz or Pokka so I think it is a blessing going forward next year that we did not get him. We can win with this D.

True.

I'm not particularly high on Schmaltz, personally. I still think Stan should have picked Fabbri. :(

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Outside the top ~10 picks, the draft is a guessing game. We'll see how Schmaltz is when we sign him.

Thats true, but Fabbri was pretty universally considered the better prospect heading into the draft. I didnt see a single list that had him higher than Fabbri.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Thats true, but Fabbri was pretty universally considered the better prospect heading into the draft. I didnt see a single list that had him higher than Fabbri.
He's more skilled than Fabbri. And because of the draft being kind of a crapshoot outside of the top picks, choosing the prospect with the higher upside makes sense, we aren't exactly dependant on our draft picks working out right now, so gambling on a player with a high ceiling, but a lower chance of working out at all kinda makes sense. Would have preffered Fabbri too though.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Hey Hawks fans, Kings fan coming in peace. What's the scouting report on Versteeg? I know he played well for you guys in the 2010 cup run, but was a healthy scratch in 2015. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thx.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Hey Hawks fans, Kings fan coming in peace. What's the scouting report on Versteeg? I know he played well for you guys in the 2010 cup run, but was a healthy scratch in 2015. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thx.

Personally, I dont think he'll fit well in your system. He seems like a guy that Sutter is not going to like at all. He definitely has a decent amount of offensive skill, can make some good passes but can make some completely boneheaded plays. The Kris Versteeg special is trying to dangle breaking it out of the zone and losing the puck. Last year he had a great start to the year but it was mostly because he played on a line with Kane. He was just downright bad and contributed nothing in the playoffs and then started get scratched. He had a pretty good game or two when he drew back in in the SCF. The talent is there, he just does way too much stupid ****. Maybe Sutter can beat the stupidity out of him, who knows.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Versteeg sees a couple healthy scratches in the playoffs when Gabby is back.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Personally, I dont think he'll fit well in your system. He seems like a guy that Sutter is not going to like at all. He definitely has a decent amount of offensive skill, can make some good passes but can make some completely boneheaded plays. The Kris Versteeg special is trying to dangle breaking it out of the zone and losing the puck. Last year he had a great start to the year but it was mostly because he played on a line with Kane. He was just downright bad and contributed nothing in the playoffs and then started get scratched. He had a pretty good game or two when he drew back in in the SCF. The talent is there, he just does way too much stupid ****. Maybe Sutter can beat the stupidity out of him, who knows.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Versteeg sees a couple healthy scratches in the playoffs when Gabby is back.

Thanks for the insight. I saw some of his highlights and see what you mean about dangling the puck across the neutral zone. That could piss off Sutter. I don't think he would be fit for our bottom six, which is focused more on dump and chase/cycling of the puck. Hopefully he fits well with Carter and Pearson.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Steeger is all over the map. You will love him and hate him...all in one shift. He has skills, but he can be very maddening. Look for Sutter's carotid to be throbbing.

Killer Boots Man

Jul 8, 2015
Steeger is all over the map. You will love him and hate him...all in one shift. He has skills, but he can be very maddening. Look for Sutter's carotid to be throbbing.

Agreed. A play that exemplifies this was in last year's playoffs (forgot which round), when Steeger stole the puck from the D man right in front of the goal:handclap:, made a great, aggressive move to the net:yo:, tripped himself up at the last second :amazed:, whiffed on the puck badly while off balanced:cry: and went crashing painfully into the goal post:(.

Not only did he not score, he also got called for a goalie interference penalty on the play and I think the other team scored on the PP:help:.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Agreed. A play that exemplifies this was in last year's playoffs (forgot which round), when Steeger stole the puck from the D man right in front of the goal:handclap:, made a great, aggressive move to the net:yo:, tripped himself up at the last second :amazed:, whiffed on the puck badly while off balanced:cry: and went crashing painfully into the goal post:(.

Not only did he not score, he also got called for a goalie interference penalty on the play and I think the other team scored on the PP:help:.

Lol I wish you had a video of this because this seems like a perfect example of summing up Versteeg in one play.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Perfect description of Versteeg. I refuse to get fooled again. Be careful ... he'll lure you in and then proceed to break your heart.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Ouch. How in the world is that goalie interference? Nice play by Steeg though.

Yeah I do remember being terribly angry at that call at the time. In real time it looked like we should have gotten a PP out of it but in all reality he just toe picked.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Versteeg is like life. Life is like a box of chocolates.

Quite simply, you never know what you're gonna get with Versteeg.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Bobby Mac confirms a trade involving Bickell + assets for Higgins + Hamhuis was on table but Nucks decided to pursue it

All the interviews I've heard have him saying that deal was complex and proposed late, so they didn't have enough time to sort it out before the deadline.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I think trading Bickell will still be a real possibility this offseason, especially with some salary retention. He'll only have a year left on his deal.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
All the interviews I've heard have him saying that deal was complex and proposed late, so they didn't have enough time to sort it out before the deadline.

I'm sorry but if that's the case it's a ******** one. You're not sniffing the playoffs, and even if you happen to by pure luck you're going nowhere. Take what you can get for UFA's and run with it.

I don't care if it was "complex" or "proposed late" you take the offer and actually DO SOMETHING with it.

If that's Bennings actual attitude here then I'm seriously underpaid because what the actual **** is he doing as GM of ANY team? Christ, I'd do better and I don't even think I'd be good.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I think trading Bickell will still be a real possibility this offseason, especially with some salary retention. He'll only have a year left on his deal.

They retain 50% to a crappy team who trys to play him up and retains 50% at the deadline. If Bickell has somewhat decent of a year he can be an attractive piece at the deadline for 1m.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm sorry but if that's the case it's a ******** one. You're not sniffing the playoffs, and even if you happen to by pure luck you're going nowhere. Take what you can get for UFA's and run with it.

I don't care if it was "complex" or "proposed late" you take the offer and actually DO SOMETHING with it.

If that's Bennings actual attitude here then I'm seriously underpaid because what the actual **** is he doing as GM of ANY team? Christ, I'd do better and I don't even think I'd be good.

It was an attempt to placate Canucks fans. A very lame attempt.

Benning sucks. I'm sure the deal was complex, but WTF? VAN fans should be irate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad