Speculation: Trade Deadline Episode II - zzzzzzzzzzz

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
This is my question. How do these Vancouver media guys know what the Hawks are doing when even our local media has no clue. You think the Blackhawks are leaking information that Q and Bowman had an argument over Hamhuis and Ladd? This is an organization that shopped Saad without the media getting a whiff.

If Foley, Troy, Eddie, etc. ... media that travels on the team plane reported this, I'd take notice. But not some gasbags from thousands of miles away getting information on double/triple hearsay.

Sekeres has sources with both Vancouver and Winnipeg, so I guess he just put the stories together and saw what lined up.

I wouldn't trust anything reported by the Hawks guys you listed, aside from Troy. Foley and Eddie O may has well have official PR titles at this point. They will deliver the message the team approves and nothing more.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
IF CE can still skate you pair him with TVR. TVR is slow but he has some quick twitch to his game and a great stick which helps make up for it.

I think TVR thinks the game at a high level, which is higher than he speed etc. He does have a plus stick, I agree. But he has elite smarts. If he could develop the patience level of a Rozy in his own end, and he will, it will serve him well.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Don't know if it was discussed around here, but the two most sensible guys on Vancouver radio (Blake Price and Matt Sekeres, both long-time TSN guys) were reporting that Blackhawks management were pushing for Hamhuis, while Q was much more bullish on acquiring Ladd*.

If true, it seems Q is pretty happy/confident with the current D group. Which surprises me, honestly, but I also find it oddly comforting. :laugh:

*Obviously they're not mutually exclusive, but the first one to land would be the easier given that the second would require money moving out the other way in the form of Bickell.

Stan said top target was Ladd.

2, benning was like we never got close with Chicago, they never had a framework. Mckenzie gives good color to this.

We weren't close on hamhuis, but we kicked the tires. We DID come back and try to make a deal at the end, just like Nill, since stan and Nill knew Benning would be desperate. Smart of those 2 GM's, which are clearly what, top 5 in the league at their jobs.

Anyway, the more that comes out, the more Dal wanted Russell.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think TVR thinks the game at a high level, which is higher than he speed etc. He does have a plus stick, I agree. But he has elite smarts. If he could develop the patience level of a Rozy in his own end, and he will, it will serve him well.

Personally, I think TVR gets unfair criticism, mainly due to his lack of foot speed. Not only has he the smarts but for a rookie he's pretty patient as well. As he matures that patience will grow.

TVR seldom gets much credit for his decisions to venture into the offensive zone and/or join the rush either. Not many rookies have that kind of confidence in their game. While many like to peg him as a #5 or #6 dman, I won't be surprised to see him playing at a # 4 level in the near future, perhaps in 2 years.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Sekeres has sources with both Vancouver and Winnipeg, so I guess he just put the stories together and saw what lined up.

I wouldn't trust anything reported by the Hawks guys you listed, aside from Troy. Foley and Eddie O may has well have official PR titles at this point. They will deliver the message the team approves and nothing more.

Exactly. I don't trust the media. I saw it first hand how it works with the New Jersey Devils and the Chicago White Sox. I have friends who work with both organizations. They feed the media what they want to hear ... to cover their tracks regarding trades, cuts, signings, etc. It's the off the field stuff that mgmt. can't control. That has much more validity vs. team operation stuff.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
Personally, I think TVR gets unfair criticism, mainly due to his lack of foot speed. Not only has he the smarts but for a rookie he's pretty patient as well. As he matures that patience will grow.

TVR seldom gets much credit for his decisions to venture into the offensive zone and/or join the rush either. Not many rookies have that kind of confidence in their game. While many like to peg him as a #5 or #6 dman, I won't be surprised to see him playing at a # 4 level in the near future, perhaps in 2 years.

I like him, he is VERY smart. Sometimes he knows what to do but can't get there, but that is the foot speed, which is a fair concern. But I love him as a #5. He will only get better than this, for sure.

+IQ
+stick

- quickness
-strength in puck area

You can't teach IQ, but he can learn to get more explosive and he will mature physically. Glad we got him!

HawkeyFanatic

Dec 15, 2007
N/A
I like him, he is VERY smart. Sometimes he knows what to do but can't get there, but that is the foot speed, which is a fair concern. But I love him as a #5. He will only get better than this, for sure.

+IQ
+stick

- quickness
-strength in puck area

You can't teach IQ, but he can learn to get more explosive and he will mature physically. Glad we got him!

+ you consider that TVR is locked in for another 2 years at 850K.

You just can't get that kind of value

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

+IQ
+stick

- quickness
-strength in puck area

One thing i've noticed in relation to his hockey IQ - I think TVR is our best defensman at picking his spots to activate into the offensive zone on the rush. When he joins the rush it almost always leads to a good chance and he doesnt get burned on it. Plus he has the sense to drive the net and push one of the defensman back. Him activating on the rush and driving to the net has lead to 2-3 goals this year and quite a few more chances.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Not that I don't trust 7, but wow look at this stats with 2 and without 2. It's unreal how bad they got when he was with Sved early on. He is all world, like 58% with 2. THAT is a shutdown pair.

Right now, anyone paired with Svedberg will look bad. He shouldn't see the ice much from here on out.

Don't know if it was discussed around here, but the two most sensible guys on Vancouver radio (Blake Price and Matt Sekeres, both long-time TSN guys) were reporting that Blackhawks management were pushing for Hamhuis, while Q was much more bullish on acquiring Ladd*.

If true, it seems Q is pretty happy/confident with the current D group. Which surprises me, honestly, but I also find it oddly comforting. :laugh:

*Obviously they're not mutually exclusive, but the first one to land would be the easier given that the second would require money moving out the other way in the form of Bickell.

Don't forget, having Ladd improves the defense too.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I get why he keeps them together....they form the best d-pairing in the NHL defensively.
Toews, Kane and Panarin would be the best forward line in the NHL on paper, yet he doesn't play them together. If it's better for the team, Q never hesitated to split good players up and put them with worse players in order to give us more depth. Not that I'm saying splitting 2 and 4 up would make us better, I don't know, but our defense has been shaky lately and I'm surprised Q hasn't tried anything different, he's not usually one to shy away from experiments.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
One thing i've noticed in relation to his hockey IQ - I think TVR is our best defensman at picking his spots to activate into the offensive zone on the rush. When he joins the rush it almost always leads to a good chance and he doesnt get burned on it. Plus he has the sense to drive the net and push one of the defensman back. Him activating on the rush and driving to the net has lead to 2-3 goals this year and quite a few more chances.

he is smart, his instincts are great, he's very likable. in playoff hockey though, it's not just his speed but it seems like he'll be overpowered on a forecheck or in those scramble type situations. i guess we'll see, i'm rooting for him.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Toews, Kane and Panarin would be the best forward line in the NHL on paper, yet he doesn't play them together. If it's better for the team, Q never hesitated to split good players up and put them with worse players in order to give us more depth. Not that I'm saying splitting 2 and 4 up would make us better, I don't know, but our defense has been shaky lately and I'm surprised Q hasn't tried anything different, he's not usually one to shy away from experiments.

i'm in the camp of keeping them together. seabrook has gotten a lot worse in the d zone. and no oduya means you can't form a shut down pairing with 4 and let keith roam around and cause havoc. it's just the cost of the cap i guess. but with the way you can give heavier minutes to dmen, having that one rock solid pairing and overusing them a bit in the playoffs is better than trying other combos. forward lines aren't quite similar in this respect.

bayshoni

Jul 10, 2014
Exactly. I don't trust the media. I saw it first hand how it works with the New Jersey Devils and the Chicago White Sox. I have friends who work with both organizations. They feed the media what they want to hear ...

If you heard "it" from friends, then you didn't "[see] it first hand. . . ."

I know this is the Internet and all, but still. . . .

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
If you heard "it" from friends, then you didn't "[see] it first hand. . . ."

I know this is the Internet and all, but still. . . .

If you're going to use semantics as the basis of your argument, use the entire quote. It's not that hard. In fact, it takes more work to cut of the quote. Maybe you should read the post again instead of making things up?

Like you said, this is the Internet and all ... you choose to read and believe what you want. What do I get for gaining credibility from anonymous posters from my anonymous handle? I've never claimed to know any specific information.

I know this is the Internet and all, but still ...

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
From 30 Thoughts

4. Let’s do some Dan Hamhuis. This is what I think Hamhuis was willing to do: go to one of the NHL’s best teams. He agreed to go to Chicago and Dallas. Los Angeles was in the picture for a while, and if the Kings had worked out a deal, my info is he would have gone there, too. If Anaheim needed a defencemen, which it doesn’t, the Ducks would’ve been a possibility.

As for the East, if he was going to really disrupt his family, we’re talking Washington, the Rangers, possibly Florida and Tampa. (I’m not certain on the Lightning, seemingly a fit.) The Capitals and Rangers were not a factor. One source indicated the Boston talks were never as serious as portrayed to be. Pittsburgh was interested, but I don’t think Hamhuis saw the Penguins or Bruins in the same class as the other Eastern powers. Remember, he took less money to keep an excellent team together. The no-move protection was the trade-off.

5. So, what happened? The Chicago deal fell apart last week when there wasn’t a quick resolution. The Blackhawks were annoyed and disappointed, they wanted Hamhuis. On Monday, the Canucks realistically were down to one team: Dallas. Jim Benning was in a brutal position and Jim Nill knew it. The Dallas GM could slow play and grind. The ownership dislike between the two clubs added to the inferno, but I do think a deal could get done as long as the Canucks came out looking good. Since we know the return was “similar” to what Calgary got for Kris Russell, that should have been enough.

There were two things that helped close it for the Flames. First, as Benning mentioned, Dallas preferred Russell. Second, Calgary GM Brad Treliving was not going to wait until the last second. He’s said in the past he prefers to gather information, but make a decision a couple hours early so nothing goes wrong. Calgary was ready. Vancouver wasn’t. That’s probably the biggest lesson the Canucks need to recognize, from ownership down. When you are in such a tight spot, you’ve got to make a fast decision. Get the best you can or say, “We’re not getting fleeced.” Don’t leave yourself hanging.

6. After the Flames and Stars shook hands, signed papers and kissed babies, Nill and Chicago compatriot Stan Bowman went back to Benning. My guess is the Dallas offer was something like a third-round pick. The Canucks GM knew that wouldn’t fly, and invoked the Brian Burke/Mike Cammalleri rule of, “I’m not trading a good player for nothing, because then other teams will think they can do that forever.” The Blackhawks’ package was more complex. It involved unwanted contracts like Bryan Bickell and Chris Higgins. Remember when Toronto and Vancouver tried to make a Robert Luongo trade tight to the end? It didn’t work because things were too complex. Same here. Chicago wanted Hamhuis, too.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Irritating to lose out on a good piece just because the other GM is an idiot...

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Irritating to lose out on a good piece just because the other GM is an idiot...

At least no one else got him though. IMO it would be worse for Dallas to have him then for Chicago and no other contender to have him.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
At least no one else got him though. IMO it would be worse for Dallas to have him then for Chicago and no other contender to have him.

Yep... but it does sound like Benning is over his head. A multi-tasker he ain't. No wonder he has taken so much criticism from fans.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He would have cost us Schmaltz or Pokka so I think it is a blessing going forward next year that we did not get him. We can win with this D.

It was the best thing that happened. No one picked up Hamhuis ... Dallas got Russell ... the Kings got Versteeg ... and the Ducks picked up Pirri and McGinn ... and the Hawks just rebuilt their 2nd, 3rd, and checking lines. And the Hawks only gave up Dano, Danault, and the 30th pick in the draft. It worked incredibly well for the Blackhawks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad