Blue Jays Discussion: Trade Deadline Edition - Live from New York: The Stro-Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
ill take baseball people over simmons 100/100 times.

e04qknr.png

But Steve Simmons said they're idiots and nobody likes them! :sarcasm:

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
No Giles again tonight for the Jays despite the save situation. Not good news for Jays best remaining trade asset...

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Apparently stromans dad said Marcus was hoping he’d be traded to the Yankees. Enjoy the ride Mets fans. No better way to have the fans get on board with you

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Apparently stromans dad said Marcus was hoping he’d be traded to the Yankees. Enjoy the ride Mets fans. No better way to have the fans get on board with you

Stuff like this and his very euphemistic "there were things I was unhappy with" comments look bad on him.

He whinged in the pre-season about how the team wasn't making the best moves to compete, but now when they choose to take the best deal rather than just trade him to the place he wants to go because reasons, that's totally different.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Stuff like this and his very euphemistic "there were things I was unhappy with" comments look bad on him.

He whinged in the pre-season about how the team wasn't making the best moves to compete, but now when they choose to take the best deal rather than just trade him to the place he wants to go because reasons, that's totally different.

Local man wants what is best for himself

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Appearing like he’s untradeable now. That’s very unfortunate
Atkins must have hit a school bus full of children in a previous life. The guy might just have the worst luck with assets getting injured that I've ever seen.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
All-star Stroman joining Mets with 'no hard feelings' against Blue Jays | CBC Sports
Stroman had expressed his desire to stay in Toronto multiple times — he even got a tattoo of the city's skyline on his abdomen in the off-season — but said Blue Jays management had never approached him with an offer for a contract extension.

GM Ross Atkins said Monday that he had had "very, very brief" initial talks with Stroman's agent throughout the season but "felt as though there was too big of a gap" to delve deeper into formal discussions of a contract extension.

"It's not that he's not a good fit, I wouldn't say that," Atkins told reporters on a conference call. "I would say that if there was a way for him to be a part of it — and we certainly did work towards that — the initial steps that you take, the discoveries, the due diligence about potential extensions, we felt as though there was too big of a gap."
Atkins said he's excited about the potential of both pitchers, calling Woods Richardsdon "one of the most exciting young pitching prospects in baseball."

"I think the great thing about young players is ... how much they can improve in short periods of time," Atkins said. "And I think when we look up we'll see where [Woods Richardson] is. ... And in Anthony Kay we have a higher probability and we will see what his upside is."

Ross Atkins joined Tim and Sid to discuss trading seven-year Blue Jays veteran Marcus Stroman to the New York Mets, why he made the deal, and what he expects from the club going forward.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The nice thing with Giles is that if his injury is going to hamper his deadline value, he's still under contract for next year. So they can avoid taking a discounted deal, roll with him into next year, and try again as a rental. It still probably gets less return than if he was healthy right now, but it's better than pennies-on-the-dollar if he's hurt.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Local man wants what is best for himself

My problem isn't with Stroman - he has his own best interest in mind, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that- it's with the people who take everything he says as fact, as if he's just being completely honest and it's him, not management, who has the best interests of the team in mind.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Off topic, but have just been looking through the arms in our system, seeing as we're probably going to see alot of them soon with all the bullpen arms likely being dealt.

One guy that always stands out that I think gets overlooked is Ty Tice. Reliever, who's shot through the system relatively fast and still young at 23. He hasn't seen any real drop off from A ball to AAA right now, would be nice to see him get a shot.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Probably should have reigned Montoyo in from pitching the **** out of him in the first 2 months of the season.

In the first two months of the season, 107 relievers pitched more innings than Giles did, and he only pitched on back-to-back days twice. If anything, it seems like they were kind of cautious with him.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Steve Simmons is a tool and a hack and doesn't deserve the attention. He's not a baseball guy. He's not a hockey guy. He's basically just a hot takes and faux outrage guy.
Yeah but he got a lot right in this article. What's the old line about broken clocks being write twice a day? People around here too easily dismiss him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So is Giles value shot?

Shulman was on 590 this morning saying they should keep him and trade him in the offseason.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
The nice thing with Giles is that if his injury is going to hamper his deadline value, he's still under contract for next year. So they can avoid taking a discounted deal, roll with him into next year, and try again as a rental. It still probably gets less return than if he was healthy right now, but it's better than pennies-on-the-dollar if he's hurt.
I'm kind of cheesed about Giles. The Pirates are reportedly asking for Lux from the Dodgers for Vazquez. If he goes for anything near that calibre of prospect, well, Giles isn't THAT far behind Vazquez ability-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad