Blue Jays Discussion: Trade Deadline Edition - Live from New York: The Stro-Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
the idea of saying "3.5 years of Drury and 6 years of mckinney" to make them sound more valuable than replacement players kinda drives me nuts, tbh.

I feel that it essentially boils down to time available to maximize their value. We have chances to put them on a pedestal, and if someone usurps them so be it, but there's that chance of finding the problem and correcting it a la Smoak. Austin Bosart (who the Mets acquired for Vargas) is at this point org-filler/AAAA talent.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Shapiro was hired in Toronto at just about the same time as his one-time protegé David Stearns was hired in Milwaukee. All Stearns has done with the Brewers is turned over half the 40-man roster, become a contender, trade for the MVP Christian Yelich (for prospects who haven’t panned out yet) and become an executive all of baseball is impressed with.

The Shapiro-Atkins combination, along with the many levels of the Jays operation, is considered to be at the lower end of baseball acumen around the Major Leagues. Charlie Montoyo, who was hired as manager, came cheap and wasn’t in demand anywhere else. He’s the perfect caretaker to guide these Jays through a 100-loss season.

At times, the Shapiro-Atkins Jays seem more willing to spend on people leaving the organization than on those coming in. Money to Cleveland to take Donaldson. Money to move Stroman. Money to Boston to take Pearce. Money for Martin and the now-retired Tulowitzki. That’s more than the entire payrolls of Tampa Bay and Oakland — teams kicking around post-season spots in late July.

Now Rick Brace, Jordan Banks and Edward Rogers have a decision of sorts to make. In the corporate world in which they operate, they are essentially the owners of the Blue Jays. Or, certainly, they have the ability to influence the direction in which the team is going.

In Shapiro’s four years in Toronto, the Jays have gone from playoff team, attendance champion with boffo television numbers generating Raptors-like excitement, to a likely 100-loss team, with dwindling attendance and TV ratings, with hope next year will be better than this one.

Whatever goodwill the organization and the city once shared has disappeared in his personal disdain and misinterpretation of the market.

In Atkins’ four years, there is no Yelich trade, no signature deal at all. Francisco Liriano for Teoscar Hernandez is about as good as it gets. The free-agent signing of Gurriel Jr. was something worth celebrating. But after that, what?

Shapiro and Atkins have one year left on their contracts after this season. In baseball and most professional sports, that’s known as the lame-duck year. If you want to keep them, you give them more years at the end of this season. If you don’t, you get rid of them in October. That’s up to Brace and Edward Rogers.

Paddling in circles forever gets you nowhere.

Reactions: Mike Jones

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Listening to the fan today they played clips from Shapiro conference call. Interesting tidbit he said in the last year he spoke with stromans agent once a month in the couple of months they spoke weekly and again a three days before the trade and the day of the trade. Stroman seems to have been asking for way more money than the front office was willing to pay. They were too far apart and decided this is what they had to do. Exactly what I was saying that they were too far apart and that’s why no formal offer was made.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Vlad-Bo-Biggio

Future 3B-SS-2B combo on display?

Or future 2B-1B-DH combo on display?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
SWR has had a Syndergaardian season this year and he’ll be 18 in A+. Maybe we’re all just really underrating his ability.
I think because of age it’s affecting his top 100 ranking. I think next year this trade will look clearly like better value than it appears to be now

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Sounds like Giles isn’t fully healthy. I think there’s a chance he isn’t traded now but moved in the winter. We’re gonna need to find some arms if we trade Hudson, Giles, etc. AA wants Biagini apparently. I believe he has 3 or 4 more years of control left. That’ll cost them I think

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
i dont know if i posted this but wanted to. the day of the Raps parade i walked by Simmons while downtown. hes exactly what youd picture this guy to look like in person except he was taller than I thought (5'11-6 foot range).

That said, couldnt care less what he thinks. hes just trying to pander to fans who normally cant stand him.

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
That’s up to Brace and Edward Rogers.

That awkward moment when Rick Brace announced his impending retirement literal minutes before you publish a story that highlights his significance in the decision making process..

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Steve Simmons is a tool and a hack and doesn't deserve the attention. He's not a baseball guy. He's not a hockey guy. He's basically just a hot takes and faux outrage guy.

But he is bang on. Outside of blaming them for paying for Martin and Tulo to go away. It wasn’t their contracts and they were done. They have shown no creativity at all. Time to move on.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
ill take baseball people over simmons 100/100 times.

e04qknr.png

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
But he is bang on. Outside of blaming them for paying for Martin and Tulo to go away. It wasn’t their contracts and they were done. They have shown no creativity at all. Time to move on.

They've shown plenty of creativity of you take a second or two to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad