Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VI | T-Minus 2 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I see what you did there.

The injury bug marches on, possible limitations on anything Shero might do, the principle of it, experience for the playoffs because the team hasn't managed to be be healthy for most of the season. I'm sick of the constant injuries, I think everyone is. I just want it to end.

I blame the CEC and Mario... and Bylsma and Shero and Bettman and the outdoor game and the Olympics and Chara and Orpik and Therrien and Dupuis and Jagr and Burkle and Staal and :scared:

If Martin being injured for a few weeks hinders Shero from making a dumb ass trade, hallalujah Martin's injury.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Absolutely. Unfortunately, this also means the likelihood of Orpik being traded has gone down from about 2% to 0%. Maatta and Niskanen will stay together, so the other two pairs will either be:

Despres-Scuderi(RD) and Orpik-Bortuzzo
or
Orpik-Scuderi(RD), and Despres-Bortuzzo

Of those combinations, I would prefer to see Despres with Scuderi, so both Despres and the team can feel very confident that Simon, the most inexperienced/non-trusted of the bunch, is playing with a steady veteran, and can have a little more freedom offensively.

If Disco keeps Nisky and Maatta together with that group of d-men, he is even worse than I thought. We need them split up to get at least one capable puck mover per pairing. Orpik and Bort simply won't happen because Bort won't sniff the minutes Orpik gets. If those are the basic outline of pairings, it will be Engo getting 20 minutes a night, not Bort.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If Disco keeps Nisky and Maatta together with that group of d-men, he is even worse than I thought. We need them split up to get at least one capable puck mover per pairing. Orpik and Bort simply won't happen because Bort won't sniff the minutes Orpik gets. If those are the basic outline of pairings, it will be Engo getting 20 minutes a night, not Bort.

I fully expect Engelland to get back in. And once they understand how long Letang and Martin will be out, they'll go from there. I would hope Despres gets in soon though. Orpik, Scuds, Bort and Engelland in the lineup at the same time? Zero transition game.

I don't see the problem keeping Maatta with Nisky as long as they're getting big minutes. I'd rather neither play with Orpik.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I fully expect Engelland to get back in. And once they understand how long Letang and Martin will be out, they'll go from there. I would hope Despres gets in soon though. Orpik, Scuds, Bort and Engelland in the lineup at the same time? Zero transition game.

I don't see the problem keeping Maatta with Nisky as long as they're getting big minutes. I'd rather neither play with Orpik.

This is the problem with keeping Maatta and Nisky together. We wouldn't be able to generate any offense for about 2/3rds of the game if some combinations of Orpik, Scuds, Bort and Engo made up two of our pairings.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

We have 3 defensemen capable of moving the puck well, Maatta, Nisky, and Despres. If you put two of those on one line, you're going to have one line that's going to do nothing once we gain control. With Letang out, put Nisky back with Scuds where he played so well in the beginning of the year, Maatta with either Orpik or Bort, and Despres with the other one.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's Maatta-Orpik, Maatta is closest to what Martin does of that group, and the coaching staff seems to feel comfortable with him getting big minutes like we all know Orpik will get. Then Despres-Bort gives you a big nasty third pairing that's still pretty solid defensively. Even with our top 2 Dmen out, I'm actually more than comfortable with those pairings.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This is the problem with keeping Maatta and Nisky together. We wouldn't be able to generate any offense for about 2/3rds of the game if some combinations of Orpik, Scuds, Bort and Engo made up two of our pairings.

Orpik is gonna be ****. Id rather that not affect our two best D-men. Put Orpik with Engelland and limit the damage. Scuds-Nisky and Maatta-Bort sure.

Just hoping Despres gets in and stays in the lineup. Things look alot better if so.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Orpik is gonna be ****. Id rather that not affect our two best D-men. Put Orpik with Engelland and limit the damage. Scuds-Nisky and Maatta-Bort sure.

Just hoping Despres gets in and stays in the lineup. Things look alot better if so.

How is putting Orpik with Engelland limiting the damage in any way? All that would do is make Engo play 20 minutes a night.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, everybody seems to forget Engelland, no doubt that he will play ahead of Despres, unfortunately.

Despres may get in because we need the puck movement. But in that case, Engo would replace Bortuzzo because we need the experience or something.

And the problem with Maatta staying with Nisky is exactly what you said, lack of transition game. Can you imagine this?

Orpik - Engelland
Maatta - Niskanen
Scuderi - Bortuzzo

A pairing with any of Orpik, Engo, Scuderi or Bortuzzo as the primary puck mover is going to be in trouble.

You know Orpik's pairing is going to lead in ES ice time, right?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Na I think Maatta and Nisky will be ES TOI leaders. I just wouldn't be so quick to break them up. They work real well together. I wouldn't put either with Orpik.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Na I think Maatta and Nisky will be ES TOI leaders. I just wouldn't be so quick to break them up. They work real well together. I wouldn't put either with Orpik.

who would you put with Orpik? Engo? Scuds? Unless its Despres, they will be constantly pinned in our end, and they will be playing against the top opposition while it happens.

Also, I disagree about the time on ice. Nisky and Maatta may get more total in games with a lot of powerplays, but I will be shocked if Orpik doesn't lead the D in ES and PK ice time while Letang and Martin are out.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
with Martin out, the amount of offense we have from the back is going to be extremely limited...not to mention, we don't have another player with a good break out pass other than Despres who won't play

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
with Martin out, the amount of offense we have from the back is going to be extremely limited...not to mention, we don't have another player with a good break out pass other than Despres who won't play

I really think we need Despres to play. Only having two puck movers just doesn't work.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
who would you put with Orpik? Engo? Scuds? Unless its Despres, they will be constantly pinned in our end, and they will be playing against the top opposition while it happens.

Also, I disagree about the time on ice. Nisky and Maatta may get more total in games with a lot of powerplays, but I will be shocked if Orpik doesn't lead the D in ES and PK ice time while Letang and Martin are out.

We'll see what happens. But I definitely would not put either of Maatta or Nisky with Orpik. Maybe Maatta can cover up for him, but I wouldn't want him doing that. With Letang out, you need guys jumping in the play. Nisky has never looked good with Orpik.

Promote Despres, pair him with Scuds. Have Engelland or Bort fill in for Martin with Orpik. And keep Maatta with Nisky. Spread the ice time out.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Honestly, if there's a cheap PMD out there...I kinda think we go for it, especially if Despres isn't playing

Michael8771*

Unfortunately I think our issues run much deeper than just our personnel in the top six or bottom six, or even the injury situation. I have little to no faith in the coach. And I have stated this prior to this Olympic debacle. But the last few days reinforced my concerns even more. I'm just hopeful Martin has enough input to maybe mitigate the Bylsma effect.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Honestly, if there's a cheap PMD out there...I kinda think we go for it, especially if Despres isn't playing

If Despres isn't playing with Letang and Martin out, then there's something seriously wrong. Why give up assets?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
If Despres isn't playing with Letang and Martin out, then there's something seriously wrong. Why give up assets?

There's been something seriously wrong for a while here...Despres is a stud, and if he isn't playing, I'm convinced Bylsma is just plain stupid

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's been something seriously wrong for a while here...Despres is a stud, and if he isn't playing, I'm convinced Bylsma is just plain stupid

If we weren't trading a D-man, he didnt' have a place on our blue line when we were healthy. Now we're missing half of our top 4. I'd imagine he'll be recalled soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad