Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VI | T-Minus 2 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
As far as I'm concerned, Sutter already has the wingers to succeed: Megna and Gibbons.

What we need is to completely overhaul the fourth line, which won't happen.

I think that 3rd line would get crushed come playoff time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'd love to see Joey V centering Megna/Glass on that 4th line. Sutter needs talent... that's the line that needs help the most. Dupers and Sutter would have been perfect.

I look at the million things this team needs and the players DB refuses to sit. There is just no chance. Adams/Glass will be in the line up. Pyatt will be worked in. It's doomed for failure.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I think that 3rd line would get crushed come playoff time.

I concur, but there's only so much that can be done to fix that issue.

Like I said, the best option is to give yourself at least 2 good players per line in the top 9 and then have the best pluggers/grinders you can muster for the 4th.

For example:

Kunitz-Sid-X
Neal-Geno-X
Juice-Sutt-X
X-X-X

There is plenty to choose from, plus whatever you can scratch up via trades, so I think that Shero would do well to plug in a couple hardcore ass kickers for the bottom 6 and then piece together the top 6, that doesn't need his help, with the Bennetts, Megnas and Gibbys of the world.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I'd love to see Joey V centering Megna/Glass on that 4th line. Sutter needs talent... that's the line that needs help the most. Dupers and Sutter would have been perfect.

I look at the million things this team needs and the players DB refuses to sit. There is just no chance. Adams/Glass will be in the line up. Pyatt will be worked in. It's doomed for failure.

I disagree about Pyatt. I think DB would sit him, given the right reasons to do so.

Also, I could see him getting waived once JV (who I completely forgot about...haha) comes back.

Glass/Adams - it would take Gretzky coming back for those guys to ride the pine.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

You never know which players we haven't thought of that could be available, but with the guys we do know are available, Hemsky and Winchester are the best bang for Shero's buck.

I've already talked ad nauseam about Hemsky, but Winchester is an ideal solution for the third line. He plays with grit and speed... Has a knack for getting pucks to the net, any way possible... he is a pain in the ass to play against... Is a good PK guy and very sound defensively... can play as a pivot or wing as well.

If Hemsky is brought in, it allows BB to play with Sutter, which will help spread out the scoring. That gives the Pens three strong lines that can score (in theory). The fourth line I've accepted will be a liability. All we can do is hope Vitale plays unreal hockey to elevate that line from putrid to still putrid but not so putrid.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Winnik would be an ideal pickup for the third line. Plus, he comes with a really convenient contract.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Martin out about a month, according to Rossi, I know it's Rossi :laugh: but just hope he's back to April 16th

He's probably right, but I bet no one told him anything. He just concluded this:

1.) Martin has cast on hand
2.) Martin's hand must be broken
3.) Glass had a broken hand
4.) Glass was out for a month
5.) Martin will be out for a month.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
With Martin and Letang out, we aren't moving any D depth or our UFA D. Most we have to work with is a 3rd.

We aren't getting anything for a 3rd. Let's pack it in.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
With Martin and Letang out, we aren't moving any D depth. Most we have to work with is a 3rd.

We aren't getting anything for a 3rd.

Could possibly improve the third line, but if your hopes were for a top 6 winger that might not happen until the off season now.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He's probably right, but I bet no one told him anything. He just concluded this:

1.) Martin has cast on hand
2.) Martin's hand must be broken
3.) Glass had a broken hand
4.) Glass was out for a month
5.) Martin will be out for a month.

Do you really trust in Rossi's ability to reason like that?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With Martin and Letang out, we aren't moving any D depth. Most we have to work with is a 3rd.

We aren't getting anything for a 3rd. Let's pack it in.

A guy like Samuelsson could be in play. A 3rd+Sammy could potentially get us Hemsky, for example. I don't want a rental, but with Letang likely out for the season and Martin out a while, we aren't trading any of our prime assets in a hockey trade.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I agree with what some ppl already has said. We have run out of assets with the Letnag and Martin injuries. Its not that i wanted Despres or Bortuzzo gone per se, but if the return was somewhat good i would have been on board with it.

Now we cant afford to move any of them. That will force us to slide down the pipeline to the likes of Samuelsson, Dumoulin, Harrington etc. All those players exept mayeb Samuelsson are worth far more to us than they are in a trade atm.

Boy would it be nice to still have our 2nd rounder :(

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I suggested a 3rd and Uher for Hemsky in the trade forum thread and at least 2 Penguins fans said that that was too much. No input from Oilers fans though.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Lack of cap space was always going to prevent the Pens from making a trade centering around a prospect for a star player. The Pens were pretty much doomed to make small moves from the start this season. Hemsky seems like the most reasonable target at this point.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Rumors will come out next year that we were going to trade Despres to Dallas for Nichushkin but had to tell the Stars no after the Martin injury.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I like Hemsky (more than a lot of you, it would seem) but repeat after me "SID DOES NOT NEED ANOTHER WINGER TO SUCCEED". He leads the scoring race by double digits with Kunitz and whatever clown show they put at RW. Wait for Bennett to get healthy, try him out and if he doesn't fit than plug in Gibby or whoever and make do. This is not where out issue lies.

You lost me there. I can't think of a place that has pointed this out more than our HF community. Crosby most certainly needs help...for reasons that have been discussed so many times the words have lost all meaning.

The fact that youtube does not have a Milhouse clip for me to use is unacceptable.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I suggested a 3rd and Uher for Hemsky in the trade forum thread and at least 2 Penguins fans said that that was too much. No input from Oilers fans though.

I would do a trade like that. Not sure about Oilers fans though. They might be looking for a bit more in return.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
You lost me there. I can't think of a place that has pointed this out more than our HF community. Crosby most certainly needs help...for reasons that have been discussed so many times the words have lost all meaning.

The fact that youtube does not have a Milhouse clip for me to use is unacceptable.

I would scold you for your comments and your lack of Milhouse clips but your Bure avatar saved you this time, my good sir

You lucked out...:laugh:

Last edited:

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
If Martin is out for a month, that would mean he would be on IR creating cap space for the trade deadline correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad