Speculation: Trade Deadline Discussion Part VI | T-Minus 2 weeks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

M10

Dec 7, 2013
So what US Olympic team member did Bylsma fall in love with?

Callahan, Kesler, Brown, Oshie, Wheeler?

Callahan is the most likely candidate to be had.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
So what US Olympic team member did Bylsma fall in love with?

Callahan, Kesler, Brown, Oshie, Wheeler?

Callahan is the most likely candidate to be had.

Orpik. And doesn't have to give up anything for him.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If Martin is out for a month, that would mean he would be on IR creating cap space for the trade deadline correct?

Not really, IR only allows you to go over the cap, it doesn't allow you to accrue cap space. We're over the salary cap right now, but our LTIR designations make us compliant.

If Martin was out until the PO, then yes we would have more cap space at the deadline. But when he's healthy, he has to come off LTIR, it's not optional. So you can't exceed the cap and just keep the guy on LTIR until the PO.

So bottom line, you can't use Martin's space for anything.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Not really, IR only allows you to go over the cap, it doesn't allow you to accrue cap space. We're over the salary cap right now, but our LTIR designations make us compliant.

If Martin was out until the PO, then yes we would have more cap space at the deadline. But when he's healthy, he has to come off LTIR, it's not optional. So you can't exceed the cap and just keep the guy on LTIR until the PO.

So bottom line, you can't use Martin's space for anything.

Thanks! Ya I was thinking if he stayed out til playoffs but that's pretty tough to assume

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
If Martin is out for a month, that would mean he would be on IR creating cap space for the trade deadline correct?

We could have all the cap space in the world, but what are we trading? We have nothing to give but a 3rd and MAYBE a very low level D prospect. I don't see us even coming close to Hemsky for that.

Fire Shero*

Shero has a chub right now thinking about all the dmen he will now acquire at the deadline.

And do you really think Hemsky will only command a 3rd liner and a crappy prospect like Samuelsson?

Edmonton's management is incompetent but not quite that terrible.

Martin has become injury prone the last 2 years. He needs to stop hanging out with Letang and Bennett.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Shero has a chub right now thinking about all the dmen he will now acquire at the deadline.

And do you really think Hemsky will only command a 3rd liner and a crappy prospect like Samuelsson?

Edmonton's management is incompetent but not quite that terrible.

Martin has become injury prone the last 2 years. He needs to stop hanging out with Letang and Bennett.

They have been trying to get a 1st for him for a while and have never gotten it. My guess is he goes for a 2nd. That may be what keeps us from going after him; they may value a 2nd more than a 3rd and prospect.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't know. It sounds like Despres isn't playing so well in the AHL lately.

At some point when how you play doesn't affect where or if you play, it just doesn't matter anymore. He played great, got demoted, worked on what they wanted him to work on, came up, played great, got benched, got demoted... I mean really, I wouldn't blame him

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
It is *baffling* that after nearly a decade of the NHL using the salary cap, the Tribune-Review still doesn't understand the basics of how it works.

http://triblive.com/mobile/5637448-96/martin-canada-defenseman

The Penguins' salary-cap situation is complicated by long-term injuries to various regulars, including Letang and Martin. Dupuis (torn ACL) had surgery Feb. 12 but has not been ruled out for the season. He and backup goalie Tomas Vokoun, who is practicing after missing several months with a blood clot, are on the long-term injury list.

Players on that list do not count against the $64.3 million salary cap.

I mean, that's just embarrassing. The exact opposite is the truth and Rossi has made this same mistake for *years.* It just makes you wonder what else they're getting wrong in their reporting out of ignorance or laziness.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I would love to see the Pens pick up Hemsky. Been a huge fan of his for a while. He's fast and creative, and not afraid to go into the dirty areas. Hard worker and historically a playoff performer. I'd love to see that type of skill next to Sid.

Fire Shero*

I would love to see the Pens pick up Hemsky. Been a huge fan of his for a while. He's fast and creative, and not afraid to go into the dirty areas. Hard worker and historically a playoff performer. I'd love to see that type of skill next to Sid.

I want Hemsky, but his last playoff series was in 2006. He did play well in that nice playoff run. He was pointless in the other year he played in the playoffs. But I don't know if you can say he is historically a playoff performer based on such a small sample from 8-10 years ago.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If I were a betting man, I would lean much more towards Hemsky getting a breath of new life with a new team v. remaining in the lull he's been in playing with Edmonton. Still not sold he's the best fit for the Pens, but if a team were full of shooters and could use a guy who has an abundance of creativity and passing ability...Hemsky is their man. I think Hemsky's game would fit in well in Carolina.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If I were a betting man, I would lean much more towards Hemsky getting a breath of new life with a new team v. remaining in the lull he's been in playing with Edmonton. Still not sold he's the best fit for the Pens, but if a team were full of shooters and could use a guy who has an abundance of creativity and passing ability...Hemsky is their man. I think Hemsky's game would fit in well in Carolina.

And the thing is, even if he's put with Geno and Neal, he's got the speed to actually be of some help. And the playmaking to fit in well with two guys who put up 90 goals a couple years ago.

Luckily, I doubt they break up JMN. And Hemsky can get an extended look with Sid. And you have Beau to move up if necessary.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well ****...

Why? Who the **** cares, except for Martin, as it sucks to injure anything.

We are ahead in out division by something like 52 points (I exaggerate but not by much).

And seeding means almost nothing in the playoffs. If his absence even will make a difference in that. We have lost something like a thousand more man games than anyone else (I exaggerate but not by much).

We went without 5 of our top 6 defensemen for four or five months straight and played some beer league guys we picked up at 3 am at the Eat and Park on Murray Avenue (I exaggerate but not by much).

And kept on winning.

How is losing Martin really something to get worked up over?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Why? Who the **** cares, except for Martin, as it sucks to injure anything.

We are ahead in out division by something like 52 points (I exaggerate but not by much).

And seeding means almost nothing in the playoffs. If his absence even will make a difference in that. We have lost something like a thousand more man games than anyone else (I exaggerate but not by much).

We went without 5 of our top 6 defensemen for four or five months straight and played some beer league guys we picked up at 3 am at the Eat and Park on Murray Avenue (I exaggerate but not by much).

And kept on winning.

How is losing Martin really something to get worked up over?

I see what you did there.

The injury bug marches on, possible limitations on anything Shero might do, the principle of it, experience for the playoffs because the team hasn't managed to be be healthy for most of the season. I'm sick of the constant injuries, I think everyone is. I just want it to end.

I blame the CEC and Mario... and Bylsma and Shero and Bettman and the outdoor game and the Olympics and Chara and Orpik and Therrien and Dupuis and Jagr and Burkle and Staal and :scared:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Martin and Letang both out has to mean Despres gets in the line-up, right? Right?

Absolutely. Unfortunately, this also means the likelihood of Orpik being traded has gone down from about 2% to 0%. Maatta and Niskanen will stay together, so the other two pairs will either be:

Despres-Scuderi(RD) and Orpik-Bortuzzo
or
Orpik-Scuderi(RD), and Despres-Bortuzzo

Of those combinations, I would prefer to see Despres with Scuderi, so both Despres and the team can feel very confident that Simon, the most inexperienced/non-trusted of the bunch, is playing with a steady veteran, and can have a little more freedom offensively.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know if Scuds has played like that solid dependable 2009 Scuderi that we all think we have again.

I would rather see Scuderi with Orpik and put Bortuzzo with Despres and keep Maatta with Nisky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad