GDT: Trade Deadline Day

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
That is exactly my point.

The difference between what you would have got (as your example) and what you will get next year (or in ideal circumstances) isn’t worth the better odds the Habs would have (in a draft where the top guy has a level that comes every 10ish years).
I understand your point and i do agree. But from my comprehension of the market and the buying teams, the sticking point was more about taking a bad contract for Edmundson than having a clear substractions even for an underwhelming offer.

The trade deadline is a competitive market between contenders for upcoming UFA. Its rarely a market for players with terms.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
What Sam Pollock was able to accomplish 50 years ago does not constitute a legitimate 'real life' example for 2023. Even the crappiest management teams in today's NHL would scoff at how some of those expansion era teams operated.

With your Lafleur example I presume you figure HuGo should trade good players to Chicago or Arizona so they will pass the Habs in the standings. Those teams have a pretty clear plan for what they are doing and are pretty obviously not going to jeopardize their shot at the big prize this close to the finish line.
No I don’t think Chi would have accepted to win a trade BECAUSE they were already selling and losing trades.

My comments was geared towards the Habs NOT having a clear plan LIKE Chicago.

I understand your point and i do agree. But from my comprehension of the market and the buying teams, the sticking point was more about taking a bad contract for Edmundson than having a clear substractions even for an underwhelming offer.

The trade deadline is a competitive market between contenders for upcoming UFA. Its rarely a market for players with terms.
Yes and that is WHY Chicago started at the draft. That is also when the Habs should have had a plan for the year instead of hoping for trade deadline deals.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Yes and that is WHY Chicago started at the draft. That is also when the Habs should have had a plan for the year instead of hoping for trade deadline deals.
The habs have a plan and its clear as daylight. It even started before Chicago. It started at last year tdl.

Unless you would have hoped we trade Suzuki and Caufield to have, at best, less than 20% chance at Bedard.

Also, Chicago are in for a f***ing rough times. I am not sure it is the model to follow. Especially if they don't win Bedard, which is over 80% likely.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
The habs have a plan and its clear as daylight. It even started before Chicago. It started at last year tdl.

Unless you would have hoped we trade Suzuki and Caufield to have, at best, less than 20% chance at Bedard.

Also, Chicago are in for a f***ing rough times. I am not sure it is the model to follow. Especially if they don't win Bedard, which is over 80% likely.
Not sure why you think Chicago will have tougher times than the Habs. They already have one of the top prospects pool in the NHL, have a bunch of kids that are NHL ready (Reichel, Korchinski, etc.), They replaced Dach with Nazar (who could very well be better, time will tell) and they understand that getting better odds at a guy like Bedard comes every 10 years… well worth the pain of tanking hard one season.

No, trading Suzuki and Caufield wasn’t necessary. Never said the Habs should do that.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Not sure why you think Chicago will have tougher times than the Habs. They already have one of the top prospects pool in the NHL, have a bunch of kids that are NHL ready (Reichel, Korchinski, etc.), They replaced Dach with Nazar (who could very well be better, time will tell) and they understand that getting better odds at a guy like Bedard comes every 10 years… well worth the pain of tanking hard one season.

No, trading Suzuki and Caufield wasn’t necessary. Never said the Habs should do that.
Chicago's prospect pool is crap. Reichel and question marks ( Korchinski is not ready). Montreal has a far better prospect pool and 5-6 young NHLers.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Reichel is a nice piece but he is looking more like a complimentary player than a star in the making.

I am not sold on Korchinski nor Nazar, neither of them is a blue chip prospects.

Their line-up has no hopes and their prospect pool massively lacks elite talent.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
With the amount of young ds they have, I think they'll move Edmundson this summer. Good thing is that potential buyers wont only be playoffs teams. They need to make room. Cannot have 3 vets with Guhle, Harris, Barron, Xhekaj, Kovacevic, Mailloux and Struble coming. Norlinder is improving too.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Reichel is a nice piece but he is looking more like a complimentary player than a star in the making.

I am not sold on Korchinski nor Nazar, neither of them is a blue chip prospects.
Reihel should be a 1st line forward. Stutzle is not more talented than him.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

Their line-up has no hopes and their prospect pool massively lacks elite talent.
I disagree your assessment but it doesn’t really matter. What elite talent do the Habs have?

Maybe Caufield…

That is it. That is the whole problem. Building with no superstar only create the occasional Cinderella run. That is the story of the last 25 years. In recent years we have seen St.Louis. That got lucky on the Cinderella run.

So it doesn’t really matter if the Habs can turn it around quickly. We all know the kids are pushing and the Habs won’t have a shot at a guy like Bedard in a very long time.

Last edited:

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Until last night LoL
He won't score next game
Drouin could actually a problem because he is going to give everything he has till the end of the season because he won’t find a job if he doesn’t. That won’t help the tank if he doesn’t get injured.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I disagree your assessment but it doesn’t really matter. What elite talent do the Habs have?

Maybe Caufield…

That is it. That is the whole problem. Building with no superstar only create the occasional Cinderella run. That is the story of the last 25 years. In recent years we have seen St.Louis. That got lucky on the Cinderella run.

So it doesn’t really matter if the Habs can turn it around quickly. We all know the kids are pushing and the Habs won’t have a shot at a guy like Bedard in a very long time.
I agree that we are one or two superstars away. (I have high hopes with Dach tho.) Bedard would instantly terminate our rebuild but the best you could have is 80% chance of not getting him. Tanking a full season for this is a very steep price. It can be done 1 or 2 seasons but doing it in perpetuity sucks the life out of your team.

Another way to bring superstar talent is to draft well and have the basis of a strong, competitive team. Like being a great destination for the players.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I'm disappointed that the Habs couldn't do more at the TDL, but it was to be expected with all the injuries. I'm more disappointed that more deals weren't made during the season well before the deadline. Apparently there was an offer for Anderson involving a 1st coming to Montreal and another offer for Monahan (likely wasn't a 1st or 2nd rounder otherwise Hughes would have pulled the trigger) earlier in the season. Edmundson was drawing interest from L.A. and Edmonton before his injury as well. I know hindsight is 20/20, but maybe taking those deals would have better benefit the Habs going forward.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Another way to bring superstar talent is to draft well and have the basis of a strong, competitive team. Like being a great destination for the players.
You mean that another way to get superstar talent is to be lucky. Drafting a Kucherov in the 2nd round, for example, needs lots of work and luck.

Being a great destination almost always comes after. It is important and I am sure KH and guys like LeCavalier will help make the Habs attractive even with the negatives that we all know.

Normally, I would be satisfied with a top 4-7 this year (based on where the team is and the way KH organized his stuff) but the pain of getting top 3 odds this specific year was well worth it and I am a disappointed KH didn’t do more to make things happen when the Habs kept winning/overachieving.

Habs can still get lucky at this draft and/or only win like 2 games for the rest of the season… But if this happens, I don’t think it would be because of a well executed and precise plan. We can also hope for the Flo pick to get something substantial.

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think that the Habs, with their massive revenues, should actually promote research on injury prevention, based on musculoskeletal simulation and other technologies. NFL promotes research on concussion prevention, at least to a degree. NHL will never take the lead on this, but the Habs could. With a few million, they could recreate injury scenarios in 3D, then redo these with different parameters, such as a switch of equipment, or advanced board materials, or prevention based on specific training with physiotherapists that recognize each player's vulnerability. Take the lead in this area rather than submit to the whims of the game.
Our capital and R&D is being put towards hot dog research. Continued improvements in hot dog quality is a top priority.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Drouin could actually a problem because he is going to give everything he has till the end of the season because he won’t find a job if he doesn’t. That won’t help the tank if he doesn’t get injured.
He will score next game and be healthy for season

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

I don’t like the word ´plan ´. It’s not rare that someone saying we have a plan ´´is fired 3~4 months later ;)

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
So... he couldve traded him... at the TDL ? Lol.
The problem with your analysis is that you clearly value firsts more then players but gms don’t. Mathesons play and his contract would absolutely generate a similar return to the ekholm trade if he were made available which we still control, it’s not like Petrys gone and we have nothing to show for it

Last edited:
Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The problem with your analysis is that you clearly value firsts more then players but gms don’t. Mathesons play and his contract would absolutely generate a similar return to the ekholm trade if he were made available which we still control, it’s not like Petrys gone and we have nothing to show for it
Damn imagine valuing firsts more than veterans in a REBUILD

Reactions: BozoTheClown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad