GDT: Trade Deadline Day - Mod warning post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Did we do anything other then bring in the much needed Rosen?

Who knew that would be his big get? Im kind of tired of the own-rental crap but if all that was out there was deals then what was there to do?

I've gotta say I probably would have rented Demelo and trade Barrie for whatever but he stuck with his guy.

They could still be the playoffs and Barrie could still have a big series. Its not Kadri for Kerfoot until they are out. I. Not saying I expect that but Shanny and Dubas do.

BTW Dubas does not idle today without Shanahans approval.

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Why we basically traded kadri for kerfoot
Just because the original trade was awful doesn’t mean we have to try and salvage it at all costs. What if Barrie would have only returned a 2nd? Would ppl feel better if it was kadri for kerfoot + 2nd? I doubt it

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
A very small side note:

I’m surprised Bracco didn’t get moved.

Look, this is nothing more than speculation.... but it is my opinion that there is something going on with Bracco, that is beyond hockey. He isn't sitting out, because he's unhappy with his situation. There is either a health, physical or mental issue that he, or someone very close to him is going through. If it was just unhappiness with him not getting a chance, absolutely we'd see Dubas move him, as he's done in other situations. Something is going on with Bracco, and best wishes for him, in whatever he is going through.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
disappointed they didn't sell but then to see guys i think they could use going for not much (vatanen, goodrow, forbort, gustafsson, ritchie, etc

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Assets that walked for nothing recently:

Bozak
JVR
Barrie

Anyone else?

Gross. Boston and Tampa are just way ahead in terms of management.

Keeping Bozak and JVR were at least somewhat defensible moves, because we had a legitimate shot of advancing past the first round of the playoffs that season.

There is absolutely no justification for keeping Barrie other than a pipe dream.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
MLSE just cares about those 2 or 3 playoff dates, that's all. Dubas wouldn't be allowed to sell anyone even if he wanted. I am not happy with this half ass approach. They still want playoffs but not actually doing anything to improve our chances.
Who is better than Barrie that they could have brought in going into the playoffs? They are 15th in the league with their number 1D out. Not to mention all the other injuries they’ve had this year. If they are lucky and can stay healthy, they look pretty good on paper.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The only question that is relevant to me is "Is Stetcher better defensively than Barrie?" And if the answer is yes, then we've failed to improve a critical area of need despite reasonable opportunity to do so.

No, defense isn't a vacuum to it's own... just as offense isn't. The question always is, and always will be, is the team better NET of what that player brings... and I don't think Stetcher is better NET, than Barrie.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's likely going get 30 goals this year though. He's a good player.

Nobody would really care if it wasn't that team who acquired him.

Hes having a good season, but thats not the kind of contract id give out to a player with his offensive history.

Reminds me a bit on the Clarkson deal. Paying big money of a guy based on a limited sample size of playing well

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Hopefully Barrie continues his strong play and we can get a deal done. Even if we trade him next year or next summer, an extension can make sense

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The only question that is relevant to me is "Is Stetcher better defensively than Barrie?" And if the answer is yes, then we've failed to improve a critical area of need despite reasonable opportunity to do so.

The problem is hes arbitrstion eligible snd if hes awarded less than 4 mil the team would be stuck with him. Amd 3ish mil would be too mich for a guy whose bottom pairing level.

Hes better defensively than Barrie but thats not necessarily enough to justofy a trade like that imo. Especially since he always has zero puck skills

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Dubas had a series of trades negotiated with other teams but when they went to register them with the League Office, the office replied that Mr Dubas trading privileges been revoked by the MLSE Board of Directors.
It's pretty much right
I think if the leafs miss the playoffs hes gone

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
A tale of 2 cities ULF.
We both sucked for about as long, at the same time.
They built through the backend, added skill to the front (reasonable contracts) and have a solid work ethic.

We paid 4 forwards huge, ignored the back and are still trying to figure out if they care.

Which philosophy is looking better.
And now Toronto can focus on the backend. It’s not just the backend that’s the problem. The team defence needs to be better.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
This organization is pure garbage.
I will not watch a single game moving forward until the likes of Dubas and Keefe are gone. Heck maybe even Shanahan.

Been a fan since 88. This team doesn’t deserve us as fans. Sure, go ahead and rip me a new one and say how much of a baby I am. I don’t care. Have fun continuing to be duped by this organization that doesn’t give 2 shitz about you.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
No, defense isn't a vacuum to it's own... just as offense isn't. The question always is, and always will be, is the team better NET of what that player brings... and I don't think Stetcher is better NET, than Barrie.

We're going to score our way out of this situation? got it.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
why would anybody give anything for Barrie ? he's going to Van for free on July 1st , no point giving anything for him now , Tanev , Stecher and Fantenberg are all up for new deals this summer they can use Barrie against them and them against Barrie .

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
This organization is pure garbage.
I will not watch a single game moving forward until the likes of Dubas and Keefe are gone. Heck maybe even Shanahan.

Been a fan since 88. This team doesn’t deserve us as fans. Sure, go ahead and rip me a new one and say how much of a baby I am. I don’t care. Have fun continuing to be duped by this organization that doesn’t give 2 shitz about you.

I don’t agree with your perspective, but I understand it.

Fool me one:
Fool me twice:
Fool me 10000 times: Leafs fans are a crazy bunch, aren’t we...? :laugh:

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Hopefully Barrie continues his strong play and we can get a deal done. Even if we trade him next year or next summer, an extension can make sense

The fans will boo Barrie out of town and I doubt he will sign here even if we had the cash to do so.

Why sign Barrie when Sundin will come in and play the same role, far cheaper and cost effective?

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
It's the solid players that went for pucks or off the waiver wire that we should gave been in on that make Dubas due a trip to service canada .

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
I don’t agree with your perspective, but I understand it.

Fool me one:
Fool me twice:
Fool me 10000 times: Leafs fans are a crazy bunch, aren’t we...? :laugh:
We deserve better. 53 years and we only had a sniff of the finals once since then. ONCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad