Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Craziness | Part III

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
A 1st round loss is a fail.
Taking a good look at where we weren’t good enough if that loss happens is key.
A good honest look in that event. Not just stats they say but we are 6th in regular season scoring.

Fully agree

And I think WAY too many posters concentrate on the above bolded, seems like it's always the argument for why we are fine.

Reactions: Duffman955

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
People on twitter freaking out Dubas didn't make a deal. He's already made a huge deal, and for my money better to do it earlier. We are still trying to see where Muzzin fits, luckily we have time to get it right. So often these big deadline deals actually don't work out as hoped. People losing their minds is bizarre.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Overall not the worst possible deadline. Didn't overpay for a rental, got rid of Lindholm who was useless, and picked up Petan, a useful depth piece who has the potential to be a top 9 skilled forward. Most importantly, hes an RFA so we'll be able to use him as cheap depth for a while, potentially replacing Kap or Mango next year if we move one for cap reasons or a d man
also just as important, Boston did not get much better, Coyle and Johansson dont tip the scales too much, was worried they'd get Stone

Disagree with the bolded.

Boston didn't add star power by any means, but they will add solid playoff depth, Coyle mostly.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
People on twitter freaking out Dubas didn't make a deal. He's already made a huge deal, and for my money better to do it earlier. We are still trying to see where Muzzin fits, luckily we've had time to get it right. So often these big deadline deals actually don't work out as hoped. People losing their minds is bizarre.

But our massive slump has only left us with a 7-3-2 record since the trade. 112 point paces while we figure out our pairings are not acceptable at this point!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Disagree with the bolded.

Boston didn't add star power by any means, but they will add solid playoff depth, Coyle mostly.
2/3rds of another line in Coyle/Johansson.
We will see soon enough for sure.

Reactions: DanM

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think a Ferland or Simmonds, plus a Gudas would have done it.

Say we moved out a minor prospect, plus a 4th for Simms, and roughly the same for Gudas.... I see that as a big win, while also preserving prospect capital.

Which minor prospect is >= Ryan Hartman? Because that's the price. And then who's the second roughly equivalent prospect we move for Gudas? Bracco, Sandin, Liljegren and that's it, is who. We'd absolutely slaughter our prospect pool for two players that aren't even that good and we can't afford next season. Pass.

Reactions: Macallan18

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Sounds like Oilers wanted to get Connor Brown for either Kassian (1 year left at 1.95M) or Benning (1 year left at 1.9M)
If the Leafs wanted to "get tougher", Kassian is the wrong player to get for that. He's a fake "tough" guy who's easy to goad into doing stupid things.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Which minor prospect is >= Ryan Hartman? Because that's the price. And then who's the second roughly equivalent prospect we move for Gudas? Bracco, Sandin, Liljegren and that's it, is who. We'd absolutely slaughter our prospect pool for two players that aren't even that good and we can't afford next season. Pass.

Well if that's the case, I just hope we start moving the likes of Machment, Bracco, Moore, Lily, Sandin, etc. up into the Leafs lineup next season, let's start to utilize this prospect pool.

Also, as far as the backend goes, we can't play Muzzin and Reilly every min of the playoffs, and I worry about the likes of Zeitsev, Gards, Ron, etc. handling pressure down low.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
People on twitter freaking out Dubas didn't make a deal. He's already made a huge deal, and for my money better to do it earlier. We are still trying to see where Muzzin fits, luckily we have time to get it right. So often these big deadline deals actually don't work out as hoped. People losing their minds is bizarre.

Muzzin fit pretty damn good with Rielly. They were together for 6 games, we went 4-1-1, they had 9 points between them, they were plus', had good fancy stats, Muzzin was hittin' people, and they were every bit the top pairing we've always wanted. Then Babcock decided that the fact that they were both left handed was some big f***in' problem.

I've had nothing but good things to say about Babcock and the way he does things since he got here, but if he keeps Hainsey on the top pairing and Muzzin on the third here on out, then to me, that's basically a fireable offense if the Leafs are out in the first round, or maybe even if they get to the second round and Tampa walks around Hainsey for 20 minutes a night.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
personally i'd like babcock to just run these dpairings now that tdl isdone

rielly gardiner
muzzin dermott
hainsey zaitsev
Yeah, let's give Jake Gardiner more opportunities to blow playoff series for us!

The only plus about that is if he blows another playoff series, we won't have to hear about the Leafs trying to resign him all offseason...

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I'm happy with today:

- didn't throw away any assets for rentals
- didn't weaken the team filling supposed holes like "grit"
- many big-ticket rentals went west, and the biggest team loading up in the conference was in the other division.

Reactions: Al14

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Looks like Lou Lamoreiilo learned from his time in Toronto... didn't trade any 2nds for 4th line centermen...

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Fact is, we're built as a speed/skill team and have put all our eggs in that basket. That's the identity, like it or not.

No sense complaining about it. Let's see how it plays out.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
I'm serious. Right?
Dubas has proving beyond any doubt he can be a GM. Look at the negotiations he won already. The entire league is wishing they had him. Nylander deal was a steal. He overpowered the agents. He signed Tavares and traded for Muzzin. They were great moves, but so many of you hater boys don't see it.

Why would we pay to get worse?

This is like paying someone to break the lights in your house.
Leafs Nation: Where logic, wisdom and reason go to get their throats slit

Thank goodness Dubas did not dabble in the "lose today so we can lose tomorrow " rental market and send our future to the slaughterhouse

Thank-goodness the "Too much skill - too much skating, passing, spatial awareness and play making on this Leafs team" issue is not seen as a problem by Dubas as it is - shockingly, embarrassingly - around here. Just thinking of trading players still on the ascension for a lug! Makes me so mad I could spit!

Be grateful we survived the day, and I thank Dubas in particular, and still have Frederik Andersen Tyler Ennis Jake Gardiner Andreas Johnsson Nazem Kadri Kasperi Kapanen Mitchell Marner Auston Matthews Jake Muzzin William Nylander Igor Ozhiganov Morgan Rielly Garret Sparks John Tavares and Nikita Zaitsev and did not participate in some Leafs Nation demanded suicide trades at most charitably could be considered dreamed up in a alehouse. 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs Roster and Statistics | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Macallan18

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So one big hit on Gardiner and we need to change everything? What about the other two game we beat the Caps where Wilson was a non-factor?

Was that the first Gardiner game you have ever seen? Gardiner has a decent past of poor plays, fans have right to be upset.

Were suppose to be forming a constant contender for many year, them not trading gardiner and letting him walk for nothing as a free rental shows again bad asset management like last year and that they want to make a run this year where we are still not a serious contender.

Should have traded gardiner as I dont see him staying anyways after this year and get picks to help form future team.

We have enough to play on left

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'm happy with today:

- didn't throw away any assets for rentals
- didn't weaken the team filling supposed holes like "grit"
- many big-ticket rentals went west, and the biggest team loading up in the conference was in the other division.

I agree with the assets for rentals.

Disagree with the grit. You need some skill with grit because the league hasn’t gone non contact yet.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
like i said...we can't handle a series with heavy teams :) Proof is in the puddin
It's not a heavy team issue.

Our stars didn't play like stars is the issue.

If you assume Matthews, Nylander, Andersen, Gardiner, and Kadri all have a poor series again, I can't help you.

Plus Tavares and Muzzin and we should be confident

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad