Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Craziness | Part III

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What rumors had us trading Gardiner for a top RHD? I never heard details. Anyone have them.

I feel like they just said that to keep people glued. They didn't have a direct source, they just said that other teams think that the Leafs are up to something big.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So, are a bunch of the fans finally done throwing a hissy fit in this thread... is it safe to come back and maybe have some rational discussion...?

I look forward to watching this team come together over the next month and a bit. There are definitely adjustments the players and coaches should be making and hopefully they will.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It’s kinda funny

Last two months, every media person: “Leafs need to add size up front!”

Dubas: *Trades for 5’9 forward*

Rumours were Dubas was seriously interested in Simmonds and Ferland in an attempt to address this issue, but not willing to meet the asking prices.

Hopefully Dubas lack of action doesn't result in another early playoff exit, or those same media personnel will be saying "I told you so" all summer long.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Even if useful, one rough player doesn't suddenly change the complexion of this roster, but yet the media is completely fixated on it, as they do here in Toronto.

If we're going to win, we're going to do so by dictating our game, not trying to beat the opponent at theirs.

Reactions: DanM and Cams

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Rumours were Dubas was seriously interested in Simmonds and Ferland in an attempt to address this issue, but not willing to meet the asking prices.

Hopefully Dubas lack of action doesn't result in another early playoff exit, or those same media personnel will be saying "I told you so" all summer long.
As soon as you start making moves to appease fans you will find yourself sitting amongst them.

Guess that can work for the media too, look at Burke lol.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
People don't understand that the trade deadline is usually for bubble teams. The better your team gets, the fewer the number of substantial trades they make.

We'll likely make a big trade or two, in 1-2 years from now when we will have more cap space (Marleau gone, Zaitsev likely gone, Gardiner definitely gone).

There is not a single deadline trade that we could have made that would guarantee us a playoff series win. We just need our best players to play like they are our best players in the playoffs, that's it.

And a team like CBJ who are going for it but will pay the price with futures to do it

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And a team like CBJ who are going for it but will pay the price with futures to do it

They're all in. They could see all the guys they added walk for nothing along with Panarin and Bob. They'd have no picks to build upon for some time. They could also just as easily lose in the 1st round and look stupid as well.

Admire the balls they have but teams that make the most moves don't usually win.

Our cap situation made things difficult.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The overhyping Ottawa management is doing with Brannstrom could really backfire. He's still very much a prospect, and they're putting an aweful lot of pressure on him.

Maybe its my Leafs bias, but I still don't view Liljegren nor Sandin as a lower calliber prospect to Brannstrom.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

How would you go about proving an "early playoff exit" was due to not having Simmonds or Ferland, exactly?

Reactions: Cams and SAMCRO44

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
love how the media says they need to get grittier to beat Boston. They took them to game 7 last year and if it wasn't for a 2nd epic 3 period collapse they would have beaten them and there would be no discussion of needing to get grittier. Gards self destructed in the 3rd and Freddy laid an egg....these 2 points cannot be the catalyst for getting grittier.

What needs to happen is that Matthews and Nylander need to show up this playoff. They need to get more engaged physically. Dubas has added Tavares so now what does BOS do. Dubas has created a team where now other teams will need to figure out what to do against his team vs the other way around. Does BOS match up the Bergeron line vs Matthews or Tavares then do they split up Chara from the Bergeron line to face the other line. Babs then has the Kadri- Nylander group to play again Bos 3rd line and that line must win their battles.

This team toughness needs to come internally and hopefully with a year under their belt they understand the physical toll playoff hockey will take on them. Floaters like JVR and Bozak are gone so that helps.

So sure lets get meaner and grittier at the expense of skill. Say we beat Boston cause we out gritted them, Leafs will face Tampa and their skill....oh shit we lost skill to add a McQuaid and Simmons who cannnot keep up to the speed of today's game.

I have no problem with how Dubas approached the deadline and old dinosaurs like Burke, Kipper, Pierre McGuire who all still are stuck in the past can stop with the narrative that the Leafs are too soft.

I just hope that game 1 of the playoffs this team sense the urgency and understands the cost it will take to win.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

The media who said we need a forward with size said Dubas was looking for forwards with size.

Hmmmm

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He is. I meant in the Ferland/Simmonds mold, but it's decent enough since their LW depth is bad.

yeah I still think there is upside with petan. Same draft as johnsson and the goat, yes he has a high pedigree but he could become a Lwer for us above the 4th line IF he is given an extended look

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
How would you go about proving an "early playoff exit" was due to not having Simmonds or Ferland, exactly?

It reminds me of the JVR/Bozak situation. If we traded them at the deadline, and didn't make it out of the first round, people would have had their pitchforks out.

We ended up keeping them for a playoff run and didn't make it out of the first round. Cue pitchforks

Can never make everyone happy. Just the reality

Reactions: Cams

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I would think home ice advantage is more important than adding grit at the deadline, especially against Boston. Bergeron - Pasta - Marchand just know how to get it done. To build off of ryno23's post. Then you can put whatever line out last against whoever Boston deploys (aside from icings) for 4 or the possible 7 games.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I would think home ice advantage is more important than adding grit at the deadline, especially against Boston. Bergeron - Pasta - Marchand just know how to get it done. To build off of ryno23's post. Then you can put whatever line out last against whoever Boston deploys (aside from icings) for 4 or the possible 7 games.

They should be able to get home ice, and hope montreal passes boston

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The overhyping Ottawa management is doing with Brannstrom could really backfire. He's still very much a prospect, and they're putting an aweful lot of pressure on him.

Maybe its my Leafs bias, but I still don't view Liljegren nor Sandin as a lower calliber prospect to Brannstrom.

yeah I agree, Liljegren had 17 points as a 18 year old in the AHL but the media weren't going on like he is Karlsson lite. but Brannstroms 28 points as a 19 year old is?

edit: don't get me wrong brannstrom is ahead of Liljegren but if "brannstrom is a top pair karlsson lite" then Lil has to be considered top4

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK

Gsh

Oct 14, 2018
The joke of it is you jokesters get mad at Dubas for a lack of movement, albeit if he met asking price for Ferland you would be mad at Dubas for overpaying. Dubas hit the nail on the head when he talked about deadline acquisitions as a less significant upgrade when you already have a good squad.

Reactions: Cams

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Even if it was only the case of asking for brown from the leafs but the same pick. Brown is way better than Hartman so if they wouldn’t budge from brown I’m pretty happy they didn’t do it, I’m not a huge brown fan but for a rental i have no interest in moving him. In the summer he has to move, hopefully in a package for an upgrade but most likely for a pick at the draft I think a 2nd

I feel the same way. no reason to throw away assets for a rental you don't even know will mesh with the group . brown atleast you know you can slide him pretty much anywhere in the line up. the draft will be the place to sell him if that's what we intend to do

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Even if useful, one rough player doesn't suddenly change the complexion of this roster, but yet the media is completely fixated on it, as they do here in Toronto.

If we're going to win, we're going to do so by dictating our game, not trying to beat the opponent at theirs.

Plus, we have a lot in the pipeline, our best years will be ahead of us, by far.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Ive never disputed that, but that combination of skill and toughness wasnt available.

What I dispute is the notion that acquiring a tough 4th liner or 7th dman is going to do much of anything.

Kypreos screaming about Adam Mcquaid for the last month is ludicrous. We had Polak, Martin, and Komarov last year, all of whom this forum hated, yet people are whining about not acquiring Mcquaid or Smith Pelley, both of which are objectively worse players then the three we moved out.

I never understood the clamouring for Mcquaid, but I would have been fine with a Brown/Kassian deal.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

We could add a player like Simmons or Ferland and play one of Tampa, Boston, Washington and still have a first round exit. I am glad we didn't overpay and give up the future. Stay the course, see how we make out and make adjustments in the offseasons. We are still a young developing team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad