Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline Craziness | Part III

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Now that the deadline disappointment has worn off...

Lindholm for Petan is pretty great, underrated move by Dubas
Pretty good bait and switch by Dubas. :thumbu:

Rumours had us trading Gardiner for a top RHD, then, we end up with Nic Petan instead. Wonderful. :sarcasm:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Well, the good news is that today should be last the day Kypreos rants about acquiring toughness. At least until the summer.

Dreger said Dubas called about Ferland yesterday, didn't go anywhere.

That plus the Clifford rumors makes it seem like he's not against it.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs playing at a 114 point pace since Muzzin arrived.

Sure wish we traded for him yesterday though...would have made this team so much better. Dubas just doesn't get it.

Reactions: shortfuze

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Well, the good news is that today should be last the day Kypreos rants about acquiring toughness. At least until the summer.

Acting like a player the likes of one of the Tkachuk brothers isn’t EXACTLY what this team needs badly up front, is entirely blind.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It’s kinda funny

Last two months, every media person: “Leafs need to add size up front!”

Dubas: *Trades for 5’9 forward*

We probably do, but hard to change the team identity at this point. It is a summer thing if it needs to be done.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I like the fact Dubas is sticking to the way they want to build the team, and not building to go against Boston for instance
We may have to wait another year though before they'll be considered a SC contender
These playoffs will be very telling

Reactions: Cams and Walshy7

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs playing at a 114 point pace since Muzzin arrived.

Sure wish we traded for him yesterday though...would have made this team so much better. Dubas just doesn't get it.

I don’t get how people can get upset about not doing anything substantial weeks after doing something substantial.

Like I’m a sucker for deadline day and trades, and was excited that we might add, but we didn’t.

Oh well, we still made our team stronger with Jake Muzzin (and Moore in for Lindholm) and we are one of the top teams in the league.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I have no issue with the Leafs not mortgaging the future this TDL. Especially for rentals.

Come playoff time anything can happen. Its just as possible the Leafs take out Boston then the other way around that everyone is expecting. The playoffs are a place anything can happen. Its not like the Leafs are crap, they have a damn good team.

Come this off season is when the real tinkering and forming of the team will occur.

Reactions: Cams and shortfuze

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don’t get how people can get upset about not doing anything substantial weeks after doing something substantial.

Like I’m a sucker for deadline day and trades, and was excited that we might add, but we didn’t.

Oh well, we still made our team stronger with Jake Muzzin (and Moore in for Lindholm) and we are one of the top teams in the league.

People don't understand that the trade deadline is usually for bubble teams. The better your team gets, the fewer the number of substantial trades they make.

We'll likely make a big trade or two, in 1-2 years from now when we will have more cap space (Marleau gone, Zaitsev likely gone, Gardiner definitely gone).

There is not a single deadline trade that we could have made that would guarantee us a playoff series win. We just need our best players to play like they are our best players in the playoffs, that's it.

Reactions: Cams

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
People don't understand that the trade deadline is usually for bubble teams. The better your team gets, the fewer the number of substantial trades they make.

We'll likely make a big trade or two, in 1-2 years from now when we will have more cap space (Marleau gone, Zaitsev likely gone, Gardiner definitely gone).

There is not a single deadline trade that we could have made that would guarantee us a playoff series win. We just need our best players to play like they are our best players in the playoffs, that's it.

I would've liked to see another LW added, but as long as Moore's here full time it's fine.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

That was my thought as well.

Next year won’t be doing anything unless Dubas is a miracle worker and Marleau and Zaitsev are both gone.

The year after though, that’s when we may make our all in move ala Tampa Bay with McDonagh

Reactions: Cams and Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
That was my thought as well.

Next year won’t be doing anything unless Dubas is a miracle worker and Marleau and Zaitsev are both gone.

The year after though, that’s when we may make our all in move ala Tampa Bay with McDonagh

Yep. That's the year where we are going all in and getting a significant player. Hopefully by then Sandin and Lilly are both full time impact NHLers. We could use some cheap ELCs playing well.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Petan could be a steal, maybe a change of scenery is what was needed. Also...it seems like Gauthier thrives with Moore and Ennis - more jam to his game.

I am glad they didn't try to go all in and give up a ton of assets essentially leaving the draft board and/or prospect pool bare, especially for a couple months of a rental(s). They were even talking about it on the TV last night - with the media so focused on the Leafs needing toughness to beat Boston, but you can't as a GM augment your team to beat one team (Boston). Build your team the best way to make them as competitive as you can. I know someone who has pretty much already given up on them doing anything in the playoffs this year because they didn't add grit (be it up front or giving up what Columbus did for McQuaid). Where does McQuaid fit on this team without moving out a D, or sitting one?

Have to be patient - this team's core is still super young and growing. Next year will be interesting with the Marleau contract and probably losing Gardiner, and it would be nice to find a taker for Zaitsev. They only have Muzzin for next year, and need to fill Hainsey's spot as well.

I just hate forcing a deal just for the sake of making a deal.

Even last year...... so they lost Bozak, Komarov, JVR for nothing. Could they have moved them for assets at the deadline....sure they could have, but a team trying (unsuccessfully it turned out) to make a run in the playoffs doesn't sell assets like these for picks/prospects. Why trade a guy like JVR (30 goals) who can score off a team who just set a team record for wins and had a real shot at advancing for futures.....is this not basically telling the team that management has no faith in them?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Acting like a player the likes of one of the Tkachuk brothers isn’t EXACTLY what this team needs badly up front, is entirely blind.

Ive never disputed that, but that combination of skill and toughness wasnt available.

What I dispute is the notion that acquiring a tough 4th liner or 7th dman is going to do much of anything.

Kypreos screaming about Adam Mcquaid for the last month is ludicrous. We had Polak, Martin, and Komarov last year, all of whom this forum hated, yet people are whining about not acquiring Mcquaid or Smith Pelley, both of which are objectively worse players then the three we moved out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad