GDT: Trade Deadline 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Curious if Wads sacrifices Svechnikov to keep Necas and Jarvis or gives up one of the latter two for Jake and ends up extending Jake because of it.

I'm fine with either 3 really. Been a big fan of Necas since his draft year, Jarvis is also great, Svechnikov would be an incredible winger add especially with Geno. Svechnikov is also just 23 and has a lot of bite to his game.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'm glad it's taking a while. You have to maximize your return here. Everyone is posturing

Trades aren't easy and you have to play your cards right.

Rossi is an idiot saying "well Dubus hoped to have him moved tonite".

I am sure he hoped to have a haul too, these things take time but end of the day if Jake is a rental many of you will be disappointed, just as you are going to be in 5 years when rebuilding isn't what you thought it was.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm glad it's taking a while. You have to maximize your return here. Everyone is posturing

I am sure he hoped to have a haul too, these things take time but end of the day if Jake is a rental many of you will be disappointed, just as you are going to be in 5 years when rebuilding isn't what you thought it was.
I know what a rebuild looks like I was there pre Lemieux pre crosby. No guarantees it'll work out, but THIS team is CERTAIN to fail. So, willing to take our chances.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Curious if Wads sacrifices Svechnikov to keep Necas and Jarvis or gives up one of the latter two for Jake and ends up extending Jake because of it.

I'm fine with either 3 really. Been a big fan of Necas since his draft year, Jarvis is also great, Svechnikov would be an incredible winger add especially with Geno. Svechnikov is also just 23 and has a lot of bite to his game.
Mate if it’s one of those 3 straight up for Jake I’d be pretty happy. If it’s one of them plus, a good prospect even if we have to add on our side outside of Yager I’d be thrilled

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

With the deals today, it clears up some cap movement for the teams Dubas was thinking about dealing with. Tomorrow will be the best idea of what those teams have to work with and what they're willing to give up as more deals fall into place.

I actually like Carolina as an option for Jake.

Either deal, I'd love to get Vasili Ponomaryov, the motor on this lad is something this team needs. Maybe pair Jake with T. Smith to get Pono and one of the three above.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My hope with Carolina would be Morrow and Blake as the centerpieces, but they have such an embarrassment or riches that it's hard to imagine the return wouldn't be good if they go that route.

I think the fear of the other getting Guentzel will definitely drive a bidding war between Carolina and NYR, though. Personally, I think I want to do Guentzel to NYR for Othmann as the main piece. Just from reading his scouting report, he seems like he'd be an amazing piece to add.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Mate if it’s one of those 3 straight up for Jake I’d be pretty happy. If it’s one of them plus, a good prospect even if we have to add on our side outside of Yager I’d be thrilled
I'd give up Ty Smith with Jake or even POJ to liberate him from Sullivan. Both really. I see Jake as signing with the team he goes to, unlike most I don't see him returning in the off season.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Blake for a small winger doesn't have the speed you'd want for a bloke that size. That would be a brutal deal. Morrow as well, fairly average, not the best defensively and is an offensive Dman, not much of a goal scorer though. I'd say we lost that deal if we ended up with those two.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Blake for a small winger doesn't have the speed you'd want for a bloke that size. That would be a brutal deal. Morrow as well, fairly average, not the best defensively and is an offensive Dman, not much of a goal scorer though. I'd say we lost that deal if we ended up with those two.

He's not really that much smaller that Guentzel, though. He's apparently up to 175 lbs from a scouting report I read, Guentzel is only at 180 lbs and not a notably good skater.

Also, is his skating a problem? This scouting report from Wheeler doesn't suggest that:

He’s a high-energy, uptempo worker who compensates for his smallish 5-foot-11 frame (which he has the benefit of time to develop due to his August birthday and is now up to 173 pounds) by playing hard and fast, while also having plenty of skill. I love his approach, which looks to attack the inside and make plays. There’s no backing down to his game, he makes a lot happen in and out of traffic, and I’ve seen him make difficult plays out of nothing with the puck on his stick (though he can also force it at times). He’s got quick hands in congested areas and a great sense of timing and opportunism around the offensive zone. I like the way he navigates offensively with it and finds ways to involve himself in plays through timing without it. There’s a lot to like.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Vegas could still potentially give up something like 2025 1st + Edstrom +Brisson. That would entirely gut their cupboard but they love to get the best players available on the market
Depends on much they think Jake puts them over the top to repeat as Champs and how confident they are with signing him as well.

They have Marchessault being Ufa so some cap opens up. Mantha and Stephenson are also free agents and this is where I'm curious if they're really keen on losing Brisson given they're going to want more elc contracts ready now, on that roster to open up cap space. I wouldn't be surprised to see VGK move Lehner's contract to Arizona in the off season with the final year and it being LTIR to free up cap. But then that'd give them 19m.

VGK's cap is rough. They also don't have as many prospects given they'd used them in deals to keep pushing for a cup.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's not really that much smaller that Guentzel, though. He's apparently up to 175 lbs from a scouting report I read, Guentzel is only at 180 lbs and not a notably good skater.

Also, is his skating a problem? This scouting report from Wheeler doesn't suggest that:
I get College and AHL games with my box and the couple of games I saw, his separation speed isn't that great. His puck handling at that level and smarts created a lot of space for him when the team set up in the offensive zone. But really not keen on him as a piece for Guentzel.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get College and AHL games with my box and the couple of games I saw, his separation speed isn't that great. His puck handling at that level and smarts created a lot of space for him when the team set up in the offensive zone. But really not keen on him as a piece for Guentzel.

Yeah that's more than I can watch, so I'll definitely trust you on that one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I honestly think Yohe and Rossi are more on JR's side than Dubas' side.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'd give up Ty Smith with Jake or even POJ to liberate him from Sullivan. Both really. I see Jake as signing with the team he goes to, unlike most I don't see him returning in the off season.
I legit forgot Ty Smith existed. I’m fine shipping him or POJ out with Jake for Svech/Jarvis/Necas (whom I’ve also like for awhile) + one of their top 5 prospects

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd rather trade every forward outside of Crosby and Malkin for nothing and re-sign Guentzel than trade him for a mediocre return.

Guentzel's irreplaceable. The rest are not.

Reactions: Sorry

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah that's more than I can watch, so I'll definitely trust you on that one.
He's smart in tight spaces and at that level, I don't know if I saw enough to think he was some gem really. Canes have a lot of these types in their system mixed in with these insane prospects like Nikishin and Nadeau.

I don't think Blake is terrible, something about him makes me wonder how he translates to the AHL. He's very slight for 5'11" and I get it, you kind of hope he's a RW Guentzel, yeah? I don't know if I see that, maybe some of the way he moves around the net or creates something out of nothing at times. But his speed and separation probably won't be as much of an issue, there's enough there if he wants to work at it but you wonder if he bulks up, how much that hurts that. On the Pens, I'd be curious, if our coach wasn't utilizing a shit system that slows players down....

The package for the box is helpful - mostly got it to watch hockey and F1 but when I spoke to the bloke that does these, he let me add essentially every sports channel out there, handy really the last couple of years.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I legit forgot Ty Smith existed. I’m fine shipping him or POJ out with Jake for Svech/Jarvis/Necas (whom I’ve also like for awhile) + one of their top 5 prospects
Just looking at the Canes cap. They're losing a fair amount through free agency and when they sign Jarvis and Necas. 31m seems like a lot but the RFA's and then Skjei and Pesce being free agents along with that racist turd, it'll be gone quick. Cheap defense that can play might be of value for them.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's smart in tight spaces and at that level, I don't know if I saw enough to think he was some gem really. Canes have a lot of these types in their system mixed in with these insane prospects like Nikishin and Nadeau.

I don't think Blake is terrible, something about him makes me wonder how he translates to the AHL. He's very slight for 5'11" and I get it, you kind of hope he's a RW Guentzel, yeah? I don't know if I see that, maybe some of the way he moves around the net or creates something out of nothing at times. But his speed and separation probably won't be as much of an issue, there's enough there if he wants to work at it but you wonder if he bulks up, how much that hurts that. On the Pens, I'd be curious, if our coach wasn't utilizing a shit system that slows players down....

The package for the box is helpful - mostly got it to watch hockey and F1 but when I spoke to the bloke that does these, he let me add essentially every sports channel out there, handy really the last couple of years.

Yeah actually this is exactly what I was thinking, the scouting report really painted him as a righty RW Guentzel. The big talking point with him was his hockey IQ and finding weak spots. I think it is extremely easy to see a scenario where he progresses into a righty RW Guentzel type of player with what he offers, it's just is this team going to get him to that level?

I think I'd be extremely happy with him as a secondary asset in a Guentzel trade, I just hope he's not the primary one.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad