GDT: Trade Deadline 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Dhaliwal makes the point that I fully agree with: Guentzel isn't a Canuck yet because they do not have the assets to get him. That's why they're shopping Lindholm, they're desperately trying to get the pieces Pittsburgh wants to pull off Guentzel.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Dhaliwal makes the point that I fully agree with: Guentzel isn't a Canuck yet because they do not have the assets to get him. That's why they're shopping Lindholm, they're desperately trying to get the pieces Pittsburgh wants to pull off Guentzel.

IF that’s true (big if) it’s not a good sign for a Guentzel return. Canucks def have the pieces right now, they just don’t want to give them up.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Yes they do.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
IF that’s true (big if) it’s not a good sign for a Guentzel return. Canucks def have the pieces right now, they just don’t want to give them up.

I don't see this as the case. They just don't want to trade Lekkerimaki or Willander for him, and they don't have the assets to pull him off without using those two. That's why they're desperately trying to trade Lindholm for assets.

Rentals never pull off Lekkerimaki caliber assets, so Vancouver not being willing to trade them (as of right now) is not unreasonable.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't see this as the case. They just don't want to trade Lekkerimaki or Willander for him, and they don't have the assets to pull him off without using those two.
They still do. I’d rather have just one of Lekk/Willander but Raty, Hoglander, Podkolzin, ‘25 1st would get a deal done. My interest in a late 2024 1st from Boston or whoever is less than zero.

Like I said; if true its not good news.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Florida nabbing Tarasenko is my current favorite acquisition from a non-Pens team.

They spent nothing to get depth they need and got a guy who will (should?) fight like hell for his final payday.

My two biggest "boy I wish they would have taken a chance on this guy" scenarios were Tank years back when he wanted out of St. Louis and last year when Boeser was at a low point and could have been possibly had. Though I'm largely speculating on that last one because I can't recall if he was even in the rumor mill.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I haven’t seen this answered, can VGK reacquire Smith? I found something online that said you couldn’t reacquire a player you traded for 1 calendar year but it was quite old.

I’d be weary of Podkolzin. That guy has had bust written all over him since draft day. He can’t produce anywhere and he just looks like a plug on the ice. Choppy, low-IQ. Frankly not that sold on Lekkerimaki either but at least he scores.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They still do. I’d rather have just one of Lekk/Willander but Raty, Hoglander, Podkolzin, ‘25 1st would get a deal done.

Like I said; if true its not good news.

Maybe Dubas wouldn't do this? It's entirely possible that he's not high on Hoglander because he's riding an insane shooting% this year and isn't nearly as good with a normal shotting%.

It's a huge logical jump to say "this is bad for the Penguins" with that report that the Canucks don't have the assets for Guentzel. Their assets are extremely not attractive.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Florida nabbing Tarasenko is my current favorite acquisition from a non-Pens team.

They spent nothing to get depth they need and got a guy who will (should?) fight like hell for his final payday.
This fanbase would have scoffed at it due to his age, but Henrique is perfect for Edmonton.

Tarasenko would be our 5th highest scorer at 41 points if he joined us. :help:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't like what Vancouver is holding either unless it's Lekk.

Hoglander just seems like another undersized try-hard with limited offensive ability.

Reactions: pengineer

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It's a huge logical jump to say "this is bad for the Penguins" with that report that the Canucks don't have the assets for Guentzel.
Is it? Bc I would really hate the what the Flames got for Lindholm in return for Guentzel. And Vancouver isn’t going to get more on the dollar than they paid. So if they use Lindholm to pay for Guentzel I don’t like it.

Doesn’t seem like a huge logical leap at all.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
My two biggest "boy I wish they would have taken a chance on this guy" scenarios were Tank years back when he wanted out of St. Louis and last year when Boeser was at a low point and could have been possibly had. Though I'm largely speculating on that last one because I can't recall if he was even in the rumor mill.

Similar -

Though I'd add Carter and Brown from LA YEARS ago when they were seemingly available (because I wanted this team to get away from the 'fast' stuff and mimic the Kings while we still had playmakers to do it), Radulov to play with Geno, JT Miller recently before his NMC kicked in (anybody who watches hockey knew he'd be worth that contract or near it in the short term), Tkachuk before he was known available and was only seemingly available - for Jake.... so many missed opportunities because we now live in a risk-adverse market that also only targets players that can play in a dead ass system under a dead ass coach.

Ah well.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I haven’t seen this answered, can VGK reacquire Smith? I found something online that said you couldn’t reacquire a player you traded for 1 calendar year but it was quite old.

I’d be weary of Podkolzin. That guy has had bust written all over him since draft day. He can’t produce anywhere and he just looks like a plug on the ice. Choppy, low-IQ.

Podkolzin sucks. I don't want him at all in a Guentzel deal.

He's in his draft+5 year and he's not even a top-5 scorer on his AHL team. He's also waiver eligible next year. He's a worse prospect than Poulin, I fully believe that.

Reactions: pengineer and Jacob

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is it? Bc I would really hate the what the Flames got for Lindholm in return for Guentzel. And Vancouver isn’t going to get more on the dollar than they paid. So if they use Lindholm to pay for Guentzel I don’t like it.

Doesn’t seem like a huge logical leap at all.

They wouldn't be doing that. They'd be trading Lindholm for assets and then use more assets to get Guentzel.

They're not trading Lindholm for Guentzel straight up.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
This fanbase would have scoffed at it due to his age, but Henrique is perfect for Edmonton.

Tarasenko would be our 5th highest scorer at 41 points if he joined us. :help:

Imagine adding him to play with Geno last Summer for free instead of spending money the instant we had it for Smith.

Cap space is valuable. Idk how many years have to go by to see teams with flexibility reap the rewards before these dummy front offices' realize it.

.....actually let's just hand out more NMCs while we're at it.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I don't like what Vancouver is holding either unless it's Lekk.

Hoglander just seems like another undersized try-hard with limited offensive ability.
Nah Hoglander is nasty. I would only deal with Vancouver if I was getting him, Lekk, or Willander.

They wouldn't be doing that. They'd be trading Lindholm for assets and then use more assets to get Guentzel.

They're not trading Lindholm for Guentzel straight up.
I understand. Just reeks of not getting Hoglander, Lekkemaki, or Willander which is bad for the Penguins. I'm assuming they use Lindholm to recoup a 2024 1st, which again isn’t something that should move the needle for the Pens. I would rather have 2 really solid pieces than 4 decent ones.

Reactions: Trade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad